Space Legs as an alternative to the SRV

In case you haven't been following, there's been numerous threads in the console forums about the bug that causes a crash to "desktop" when multiple SRVs gather together in the same instance (thankfully this has been announced as fixed). It is very clear that a large number of players see the ability to gather as a group on the surface of a planet as a huge part of the social experience in things like the upcoming DW2 expedition. I keep reading the argument that there needs to be new gameplay provided to justify giving us "space legs", but I beg to differ. The social interaction one can have in an SRV is somewhat limited, but imagine if we could all gather around the campfire in "person". While it might not be everyone's cup of tea, I'm willing to bet that a large part of the community would enjoy this. Considering some of the goofy things people do with SRVs, I can see gestures and poses (and heaven forbid, Fortnite-like dances) adding to the 'campfire' experience.

Seconded. ED really needs EVA. Being stuck in a chair is boring. There's a lack of freedom of movement in ED. Basic EVA such as in X4 Foundations would be great.

Content is needed for space legs. I'm willing to wait.
Also, the Laser of a Thousand Truths would be nice to have. :p

We've been waiting over 4 years for EVA. Basic EVA such as in X4 and SC would be a massive improvement. They can add more stuff with updates like NMS.

If there were world enough and time....

... but since Frontier doesn't have unlimited resources I'd rather see them devote what resources they do have to giving us new surface vehicles and new things to do with them.

Just being able to get up and walk back to your cargo hold to check on stuff while in route to your destination would be a nice feature. Or getting up after a day's work and walking back to your quarters before exiting the game. Being able to actually see your quarters while in game would bring a little more immersion to the game.

Just being able to get up and walk back to your cargo hold to check on stuff while in route to your destination would be a nice feature. Or getting up after a day's work and walking back to your quarters before exiting the game. Being able to actually see your quarters while in game would bring a little more immersion to the game.

EVE did that, and it flopped horribly.

I want something like this for space legs:

"You know you didn't have to shoot either one of them, right?"
Loved it.

Ship lands, ramp lowers, gets stuck half-way down, punches "down" button furiously, ramp finally finishes deploying.
Loved it.

Only thing missing was the Futurama guy shouting "Welcome to the world of TOMORROW!!"

When is this thing coming out?

EVE did that, and it flopped horribly.

That's because there was no Laser of a Thousand Truths to look for. :p

Last edited:
"You know you didn't have to shoot either one of them, right?"
Loved it.

Ship lands, ramp lowers, gets stuck half-way down, punches "down" button furiously, ramp finally finishes deploying.
Loved it.

Only thing missing was the Futurama guy shouting "Welcome to the world of TOMORROW!!"

When is this thing coming out?

That's because there was no Laser of a Thousand Truths to look for. :p

Obsidian has some great writers. I'm really looking forward to this one.

Just so long as simultaneously with the release of space legs we get a fire engine red paintjob with a zigzag stripe down the sides for each ship :)

Until you have something to do outside of ships, whats the point? You are advocating for a slow, less useful version of an SRV / SLF / limpet 'for the experience'.

NMS legs work because we have planets with things to shoot / dig up, collect / shoot etc- and that in NMS your main avatar is leg driven. Until ED has surfaces like that then its a duplication really.

We also don't know how the collision detection would work between ships / asteroids / legs / SRV. As an example an SRV appears to have per polygon interaction with surfaces, while ships with gear down do not. Would the outside of ships need more detailled bounding boxes / reworks to accommodate people walking around them? If EVA was possible, you'd have to work out what was possible- if you fly off with someone, how does that work when really in ED you are the ship and not the avatar? Telepresence? Do you die? Whats your rebuy (if any?). These issues are not trivial because ED is a 'ship down' game where legs are abstracted via vehicles (SLF, SRV) and tools (limpets).

I gather these RemSuits are made by the same company that makes the life pod huh - but the RemSuits are an improved version :D How else will you be able to explain where you put all the mats you find (I gather you are going to kick the outcrops apart because as soon as any hand held weapons are introduced we will just end up with CoD In Space) and how many 1T containers will each person be permitted to carry and is this limit variable on the gravity of the planet?

You are advocating for a slow, less useful version of an SRV / SLF / limpet 'for the experience'. .

Yes I am! It might surprise you that many people actually like "walking simulators". In fact, there's a popular mod for Skyrim that disables fast travel for this very reason. It's not so much about the "walking", but rather the "experience" as you say. And I get it, ED is a game about spaceships, but those ships are a vehicle to get us to amazing places like Guardian ruins, huge city bases, etc. When I drive to a place like Mt. Rushmore, I actually enjoy to get out of my vehicle and walk around a bit. If I have a really nice vehicle, I'll feature it in my photos. Most people who buy nice cars don't do it just to sit in said car all day long, never to get out and admire it from the outside. I long to walk down the steps of my Cobra (or even "appear" at the bottom of the steps if need be), and truly take in the size and beautiful and scale of my ship on an alien world. It's an experience that I won't soon tire of.

And don't worry, if this sounds boring to you, just remember that I proposed this as an alternative to the SRV, not a replacement. My suggestion will no more ruin your gameplay than the avatar that's actually standing up and shifting his / her weight in the holome editor screen today ---- now there's something you can be horrified about if "wasted developer hours" keeps you up at night, LOL.

Last edited:
Yes I am! It might surprise you that many people actually like "walking simulators". In fact, there's a popular mod for Skyrim that disables fast travel for this very reason. It's not so much about the "walking", but rather the "experience" as you say. And I get it, ED is a game about spaceships, but those ships are a vehicle to get us to amazing places like Guardian ruins, huge city bases, etc. When I drive to a place like Mt. Rushmore, I actually enjoy to get out of my vehicle and walk around a bit. If I have a really nice vehicle, I'll feature it in my photos. Most people who buy nice cars don't do it just to sit in said car all day long, never to get out and admire it from the outside. I long to walk down the steps of my Cobra (or even "appear" at the bottom of the steps if need be), and truly take in the size and beautiful and scale of my ship on an alien world. It's an experience that I won't soon tire of.

And don't worry, if this sounds boring to you, just remember that I proposed this as an alternative to the SRV, not a replacement. My suggestion will no more ruin your gameplay than the avatar that's actually standing up and shifting his / her weight in the holome editor screen; now there's something you can be horrified about if "wasted developer hours" keeps you up at night, LOL.

Even that limited scope is only as boring as the gameplay advocated by 'Atmospheric Worlds First' fanatics. If the best reason for atmospheric landing is 'to land somewhere I haven't before and look at the view' it's hardly compelling is it?

Even that limited scope is only as boring as the gameplay advocated by 'Atmospheric Worlds First' fanatics. If the best reason for atmospheric landing is 'to land somewhere I haven't before and look at the view' it's hardly compelling is it?

I find 'to land somewhere I haven't before and look at the view' very compelling, being an explorer and all. However, I think AWs are going to take much more work to implement than my idea. ED already has fully-actualized avatars and "moving around outside our ship" gameplay, it just needs a new "SRV" that looks like a jetpack (with leg "motion" instead of bouncy wheel motion), a modified HUD for our helmets, and a mining tool / blaster for our hands, and poof, you've got my OP :D

And don't worry, if this sounds boring to you, just remember that I proposed this as an alternative to the SRV, not a replacement. My suggestion will no more ruin your gameplay than the avatar that's actually standing up and shifting his / her weight in the holome editor screen today ---- now there's something you can be horrified about if "wasted developer hours" keeps you up at night, LOL.

I get where you are coming from, but legs in that context is occupying an overlap with SLF and SRVs, as well as the external camera.

If bases or some human avatar size gameplay was involved, it would justify its existence because its something you can't do otherwise.

Plus where did this come from? If you don't like answers that don't agree with you, why not debate it without the snark?

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
Cue complaints regarding the size of any feature designed to be interacted with in an SRV - and the disparity between V.max on foot vs. V.max in an SRV....

.... although, if we do get Space Legs, I would like to be able to purchase a JetPac™ for my CMDR to use when out of the chair - which might go some way to mitigating V.max on foot with regard to the size of existing surface assets.

[video=youtube;jT4gzLAryCs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jT4gzLAryCs[/video]

;)

Last edited:
My ship which is considerably bigger than my srv, can haul 100's of tons of cargo. My srv which is considerably bigger than I can haul but 2 tons. Which leave me thinking, that I'd be able to haul but a couple of hundred kilo's. But after sitting around all day an night in my ship for hours, days, weeks, months an years. It would take all I can do just to get out of the seat. Let alone walk even one kilo trying to carry a couple of kilo's to or from my ship. I'd rather FDev increase the amount of cargo my srv can haul.

Cue complaints regarding the size of any feature designed to be interacted with in an SRV - and the disparity between V.max on foot vs. V.max in an SRV....

The people like myself who want this feature won't complain because we know what we are asking for. The people who are bothered by the slowness of walking can just stick to their SRVs, so they technically have nothing to complain about, either. Unfortunately there is a small group of people who love to shoot down any ideas that don't appeal to them personally, even if those ideas are totally optional and would please a large portion of the player group. Let them complain.

.... although, if we do get Space Legs, I would like to be able to purchase a JetPac™ for my CMDR to use when out of the chair - which might go some way to mitigating V.max on foot with regard to the size of existing surface assets.

Definitely! In fact it should be the default. Jetpacks work very well in NMS, and we already have a "jetpack" on our SRV. Heck, Frontier could give us the equivalent of an Iron Man suit and let us fly around to cover those long distances :D

That said, I don't need an Iron Man suit to enjoy walking around on planets.

Top Bottom