Space Legs Issues

Damn! 26,000 LY from home and I've locked my keys inside...

You know...I've got lots of opinions (good and bad) on space legs, but if it does actually show I'd request one feature:

If you're planet-walking and hail your ship in - and are standing a wee bit too close...
I wanna fly like an Eagle

Not sure how that works life/death wise since we're not like clones (a la EVE Online) or immortal spirits or whatever.
I always figured that was why we don't have space legs in games like Elite, same as why we're not 'actually' in the SRV or SLF.

You know...I've got lots of opinions (good and bad) on space legs, but if it does actually show I'd request one feature:

If you're planet-walking and hail your ship in - and are standing a wee bit too close...
I wanna fly like an Eagle

Not sure how that works life/death wise since we're not like clones (a la EVE Online) or immortal spirits or whatever.
I always figured that was why we don't have space legs in games like Elite, same as why we're not 'actually' in the SRV or SLF.

I figure it can be hand waved fairly easily by having some amazingly powerful function of the RemLock suits.

In the case of a near death experience, the suit deploys several measures to keep the pilot alive - powerful chemicals are injected to keep the body alive while inertial dampening effects making use of shield tech are used to deflect any incoming damage sources from vital organs. The suit is also capable of reaching orbit from a planet surface if neccesarry and a one shot FSD sequence can be initiated if there is no available escape pod nearby. Remlock suits then put the pilot into an induced coma to save resources while the rescue team (and insurance auditors) arrive.

I mean it's completely ridiculous, but so is the auto escape pod instant jump to a space station so....

Personally I would prefer they just say we have clones, and can transmit our consiousness via telepresence, and into the new clone. It's an easier thing to swallow, even though it uses more powerful technology - because it's a lot simpler, and seems more internally consistent at this point.

Your Remlok suit has escape thrusters to meet up with the ship's evacuation pod which will bring you back to your ship in an emergency and drops you out in the automated sickbay. If your ship has been destroyed, the evacuation pod doubles as your standard escape pod to the next station.

Cloning and consciousness transfers would utterly devastate the world building by its mere existence, worse than telepresence does. I'd prefer they'd just hand-wave the respawn event without an explanation over that.

We are in the SRV. That's why you can lose your ship while in the SRV but still survive.

O RLY? I did not know that...haven't had that issue.
Almost did once, but I just figured that'd be a rebuy screen. Fascinating.
(Gonna load up a Sidewinder and tick an installation off tonight...)

What do you do? Just self-destruct your SRV? Seems kinda silly to allow SRV survival if you yourself can't survive?
Or can you drive to a non-hostile planetary station and get a rebuy there? (Would be nifty if you could, since ship death would probably only happen on habitable worlds anyways)

Your Remlok suit has escape thrusters to meet up with the ship's evacuation pod which will bring you back to your ship in an emergency and drops you out in the automated sickbay. If your ship has been destroyed, the evacuation pod doubles as your standard escape pod to the next station.

Cloning and consciousness transfers would utterly devastate the world building by its mere existence, worse than telepresence does. I'd prefer they'd just hand-wave the respawn event without an explanation over that.

EVE Online already took that idea, too (the cloning). It totally works for their game universe - futuristic tech and all - but yeah, would wreck 3300's.
Especially since, in 3300, we apparently still only use manually powered telescopes to collect data or can synthesize all kinds of ammo, but not glass, or utilize massive capacitors but not use them as a backup power source for a busted reactor.

Meh...details

O RLY? I did not know that...haven't had that issue.
Almost did once, but I just figured that'd be a rebuy screen. Fascinating.
(Gonna load up a Sidewinder and tick an installation off tonight...)

What do you do? Just self-destruct your SRV? Seems kinda silly to allow SRV survival if you yourself can't survive?
Or can you drive to a non-hostile planetary station and get a rebuy there? (Would be nifty if you could, since ship death would probably only happen on habitable worlds anyways)

Commander had that happen once and there was weeks of cool game fun until he got a replacement ship. Look up the old thread Help I Need Ship Rats.

There was also one who lost his ship in a race and flew his SRV halfway round the planet to the next base.

Top Bottom