Space Legs: what exactly would we use them for?

When I first saw the initial pitches for Elite: Dangerous, and saw the idea of being able to walk around in your ship bandies about, my initial reaction was "cool"! It sounded brilliant, as I've always fancied pacing up and down the corridors of my own vast starship.

But the more I thought about it, what would I actually do with that functionality? What would it actually add to the game? This got me thinking...

For something to be in a game, it actually has to have a reason, a compelling game mechanic, a loop of playability that's enjoyable and adds to the mechanics of the game. For the life of me I couldn't think of a damned thing we can't already do in-ship or in an SRV that would add to Elite as a space exploration/trading/combat sim, (at least without turning it into Skyrim in Space and building a hole new set of NPC/PC player interactions)...

EVE Online had a feature where you could walk around stations, but killed it off. Apart from sitting down in front of a TV, you couldn't actually do much with it.

X Rebirth had you wandering around space stations chatting to NPCs to try to get missions and work. Frankly I'd rather have the quick missions board and not bother with having to leave the ship and walk round a procedurally generated space station.

I think, for me the only way it would have much value would be if it was tied to a kind of hunting/mining/crafting/photographing-and-scanning-flora-and-fauna mechanic, like No Man's Sky, but even then we have the SRV already which could handle that side of things.

So my view is that I honestly couldn't care less one way or the other if FDev brought Space Legs in, providing there was a great, satisfying and engaging game mechanic that actually required it, and fitted into Elite Dangerous as a game. I don't want them just added for the sake of it, because the 'gosh Wow!' factor wears off after a few hours... In fact, I'd simply rather they didn't add it without a good reason.

What are your thoughts and suggestions for Space Legs? Supposing FDev granted your wish to get out of the cockpit or wander around, what do you see yourself doing with that freedom? What kind of 'gamey stuff' would require it?

There are many, many threads about this.

I can see some very good uses for spacelegs. Of course there has to be good gameplay to make it worthwhile, but that should not be too difficult.

For example I would like to be able to infiltrate a base on foot and do some secret ops missions comparable to the Splintercell games. This could be very exciting I think. Approaching a base, flying low and cold running. Landing your ship a few K away from the base to avoid detection. Then perhaps using a special silent ops SRV. Avoiding random patrols in the area, or taking them out. Perhaps hacking defenses to be able to get closer to the base. Hacking an airlock and then assassinate a target, or steal data, or sabotage the place.

In general walking around will truly make us aware of the scale of things in ED. We might perhaps do space walks to de some external emergency repairs, or we might have to go in person to a black market contact to seal a deal.

There are so many cool options.

Having said all that... I do think other things should have priority, like for example:
- access to gas giant's upper atmospheres,
- access to atmospheric planets,
- a planetary mining mechanic
- npc crews like in the old games
- more variation in the ED galaxy: new base exteriors that truly show the function aof a base. A prison should really look like a prison. A mining base should be immediately recognizable. I also would like to see military battle stations and I think Imperial space should also feature true imperial space station designs by Gutamaya.

etc.

Last edited:
This is why you don't want anything that might engage your body clock.... faster, faster, faster.

another post from the I just wanna win as quickly as possible brigade.

You're making a lot of assumptions about me there... This game for me is a slow, rewarding, stately experience of exploration, immersion and understanding the lore and the systems within the universe. I am in no rush, and there's no "Win!" at the end of the game. My point about the missions board was simply one about usability, intended to suggest that we already have that function, and space legs as a requirement for getting missions etc. would actually be more of a PITA than anything else.

You're making a lot of assumptions about me there... This game for me is a slow, rewarding, stately experience of exploration, immersion and understanding the lore and the systems within the universe. I am in no rush, and there's no "Win!" at the end of the game. My point about the missions board was simply one about usability, intended to suggest that we already have that function, and space legs as a requirement for getting missions etc. would actually be more of a PITA than anything else.

WWWWWhatever...

and space legs as a requirement for getting missions etc. would actually be more of a PITA than anything else.

That depends. The mission board will always be part of the game, but I think it would be cool to have to visit special contacts in certain cases. I think illegal missions should not be put on the station mission board, for everybody, including the police, to see. I think that is absurd. Of course in pirate stations this should not be a problem.

Ian Phillips

Volunteer Moderator
Secret plans.

Space legs will one day arrive together with the announcment that PVP will be replaced with Dance off's like this.

[video=youtube;WpsLuymCuTc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpsLuymCuTc[/video]

That depends. The mission board will always be part of the game, but I think it would be cool to have to visit special contacts in certain cases. I think illegal missions should not be put on the station mission board, for everybody, including the police, to see. I think that is absurd. Of course in pirate stations this should not be a problem.

That sounds interesting: a genuine reason for something not to go through 'official' channels and the comms network.

Walking I'd assume!

Oh, you! :D

Tell me something, and I'm genuinely curious here: why so rude? We've never met, and I don't believe I've said or done anything to offend you.
Would you have reacted like that if we were in a face to face discussion?

Yeah, I probably would, simply because I'm sick of the same old "We don't want/need" "it's a waste of time" "what use will they be" (no matter how you disguise it) threads about Space legs for the millionth time,
How many more times do you think you'll have to post "Just curious" negative Space Legs threads before ED finally decides it wouldn't/won't be well received?

The only reason not to enjoy the game expanding is because you like the idea of a mile wide and an inch deep, there's scores of things that can be done utilising our feet but it's quicker to use a scrolling menu... which I deplore.
bucks per hour and shoot-em-up is not to all tastes.

Edited (I for I'm) will you get that for me please dogsolitude_uk

Last edited:
Yeah, I probably would, simply because I sick of the same old "We don't want/need" "it's a waste of time" "what use will they be" (no matter how you disguise it) threads about Space legs for the millionth time,
How many more times do you think you'll have to post "Just curious" negative Space Legs threads before ED finally decides it wouldn't/won't be well received?

The only reason not to enjoy the game expanding is because you like the idea of a mile wide and an inch deep, there's scores of things that can be done utilising our feet but it's quicker to use a scrolling menu... which I deplore.
bucks per hour and shoot-em-up is not to all tastes.

I think you misunderstood my post: I actually said I didn't mind one way or another whether or not Space Legs were introduced, just that I think that if they're introduced there should be a decent gameplay reason for them so they're not empty fluff (like in Eve), or a PITA hindrance to the flow of a game (like in X Rebirth).

I was genuinely interested in what people's ideas were for using Space Legs in a game loop were, this wasn't some passive-aggressive ""Just curious" negative Space Legs thread" attempt on my part to pour cold water on the concept, as you imply. When I say 'just curious' I really mean 'just curious' not 'go on then mortals, come up with something then I'll do my best to blast it down, mwuahahaha'. I'm not challenging anyone here.

I am also not trying to shape the future development of Elite Dangerous, I'm just some guy who loves the game, and takes an interest in things like game design and that sort of thing.

You also don't know me: I hate shooters, I much prefer deep, involving and complex gameplay with multiple layers, which is precisely why I'm interested in potential gameplay applications for spacelegs, rather than simply having another way to shoot stuff.

If your views differ from mine then fine, but I don't see any reason for you to be snarky towards me, or make assumptions about my gaming tastes/personality, or equate me with a shallow shooter-fanatic type that's just after instant gratification: that's just silly and also a bit hurtful tbh.

Anyway, I think I've made my position clear now...? Does that make sense?

What I'd hope to do?

maxresdefault.jpg

Fight fires. Repel intruders. Perform emergency repairs. Board enemy ships. Board shipwrecks. Eventually walk around on planet surfaces and explore stuff on foot.

If we can't use spacelegs to hunt down the spacelegs naysayers, then FDev will have missed a key element of said feature.

We could board their ships and pee in their coffee and pour milk in their EVA lockers, and if we're feeling really peeved spread mustard and cress seeds in the carpet.

Last edited:
Quite fancy....

...going to the loo.

Oh, hbang on thats in RL <grin>!

(Sorry, facetious, apologies, it's anonther aspect, I can see both sides to be honest - tomb raider in space!).

partial rpg. they could try to make it like deus-ex or skyrim in space(starfield) added on top of ED. increased skills of pc or npc allies/crew could be for example at level 10 + a certain skill out of hundreds: +5% to ship yaw/pitch for 15 seconds with a cooldown factors, or use of disposable slicing-cards (similar to kotor's or skyrim's lockpicks) , or reverse 180% horizontally for 30 seconds.

Top Bottom