Space Yachts

Just for grins I bought a Mamba. I’m primarily a merchant and don’t do combat, but that doesn’t mean I can’t have a classy “space yacht” for touring and knocking about the bubble. Besides, there’s nothing else to do with all those credits my StarLine freighters and passenger liners pull in except buy ships.

Mamba is a beautiful ship, reminiscent of the offshore racing powerboats of 20th century earth. I was pretty excited when I saw it had a large bubble canopy covering its two-seat tandem cockpit. I fly in VR and sometimes take friends and family on spaceship rides ( yes, I have two Oculus equipped work stations), so was looking forward to an unrestricted upper hemispheric view from both seats. Except the view turned out to be a disappointment. Don’t get me wrong, the view out is pretty good for an EliteDangerous ship. It just could have been so much better. It starts off fine from the front and going back until just ahead of the pilots seat. There the canopy belt-line bumps up a half meter then continues aft so the fuselage is blocking the pilots view directly to the side. Plus those engine pods that look so cool from the outside also block your view. Speed is great and handling adequate for a yacht. All A rated, shielded and with level 3 extended range frame shift.

Zorgon Peterson Mamba “Ariel” LA-15M
Y6FjuAE.jpg

While researching the Mamba, I saw a lot of comparisons with the Fer-de-Lance, another Zorgon Peterson beauty. It’s cockpit, while not a bubble canopy, looked to have a good view out. So I bought one to check it out. For my taste, the view out is better than the Mamba, although not without its own issues. Pilot’s seat is offset to the right rather than centered, so it is close to the right front canopy frame. Annoyingly close with a 2D monitor but not so bad in VR. I don’t see why it needed to be offset at all since the second seat is set behind and to the side. It has a clean view to the sides going well aft of the pilots seat. The fuselage does block your view up to each side starting behind the pilots seat with a clear view vertically. Internals are pretty much identical to the Mamba. While not as fast as the Mamba, the Fer-de-Lance has nicer handling. Another fine “space yacht.”

Zorgon Peterson Fer-de-Lance “Astris” LA-17F
Ji3dGpP.jpg

Both these ships are relatively short jumpers. Engineering makes them adequate and both have an A rated fuel scoop installed in the largest optional internal as well as an additional fuel tank which makes travel fast and painless. They carry an SRV hangar for visiting interesting places along with supercruise assist for orbiting interesting moons and planets. Cargo capacity is limited, but then I only need to carry my luggage.

Deleted member 182079

D
Mamba = Sonny Crockett
Beluga = Russian Oligarch

I happen to fly the latter, because a yacht without helipad fighter bay is nothing:)

I have FDL stored in my hangars, planning on Mamba. Hopefully today I'll reach certain milestone which will make buying Mamba more significant. I too plan to use it as personal luxury yacht. If you have problems with range, try guardian booster if you haven't already.

I like this idea. I can see the attraction in wanting a luxury speedboat instead of a luxury yacht.

Since you could be down on a planet scanning a tourist beacon anyway, it seems to be a shame not to have something that looks like it's suited for canyon runs.

A classic space yacht has luxurious (if maybe a little cramped) living space, and room for a floozy and optional couple of slaves servants.
Mamba looks too small to me, maybe you want a Clipper. It may be old, but it fits the role.

Saud-Kruger range has a lot going for it, but they are still just fancy buses.

A classic space yacht has luxurious (if maybe a little cramped) living space, and room for a floozy and optional couple of slaves servants.
Mamba looks too small to me, maybe you want a Clipper. It may be old, but it fits the role.

Saud-Kruger range has a lot going for it, but they are still just fancy buses.
Yacht comes from the Dutch word jaht (hunt), and Mamba definitely fits that description. ;) Even in our modern times many yachts are stripped out vessels with the minimum of accommodations.

The Mamba is my absolute favorite ship. I've flown everything but the Corvette, and nothing comes close to the Mamba. I primarily use it for those trips where you just want to fly into the dark with no other plan than just flying. Fit a 4H FSD booster and a 5A scoop, and she jumps 40 ly. Forget about the utility factor. That's not what this ship is about. This is like a Lamborghini. Highly impractical, but it will give you goosebumps once you get it.

Coriolis

Top Bottom