Species Field Guide - Coelophysis

Has anyone else noticed by chance that the kill animation against the goat is almost identical to that which e.g. raptors had against homalocephalic ones in JWE1? I can be wrong, but in direct comparison it looks like copy paste

Welcome back, Park Managers, to our next Species Field Guide!

In this series of articles we will be spotlighting and discussing some of the incredible dinosaurs and reptiles you will be caring for and bioengineering in Jurassic World Evolution 2. With over 75 different species of prehistoric animals you can expect to meet both new and familiar faces, and we are incredibly excited about what we have to share.

Last week we showcased the Brachiosaurus, a truly iconic dinosaur and a franchise staple. This week we're moving further back in time, and a little closer to the ground, to look at a slender, bipedal carnivore from the Late Triassic Period: Coelophysis. And if you're struggling with the pronounciation, there's a handy guide in the video below:

This small theropod lived around 190-225 million years ago in areas that would eventually become South Africa, the USA and Zimbabwe. The name comes from Greek, meaning "hollow form", which refers to the dinosaur's hollow limb bones. While around 2 meters in length, it didn't weigh more than 18-23 kilograms, making it supremely light and slender.

At the time, dinosaurs weren't at the top of the food chain, so early meat-eating dinosaurs like Coelophysis had to rely on their speed and agility in order to catch their prey and avoid any apex predators.

In your parks, Ceolophysis prefers a large area of open space it can run around in, but will also need some forest in its environment. Being carnivores they also need meat so they can feed! Its relatively diminutive size makes it an easy target for predators, so it doesn't cohabit well with other carnivorous dinosaurs, and prefers spending time with its own kind.

They might also get along inside an enclosure with larger herbivores. Due to their small size they won't go after herbivores that are bigger than them, meaning they will likely leave each other alone. While they like to stay together in groups, they won't engage in pack hunting.

We hope you've enjoyed this short introduction to a small, but fascinating dinosaur. The Coelophysis is sure to be a great addition to your parks and we're sure your guests will enjoy seeing them come to life inside their enclosures. With access to water, open spaces, a bit of forest, and plenty of friends, your Coelophysis should thrive and stay relatively calm. How do you like the Coelophysis? Leave your thoughts in the comments!

There are more dinosaurs for us to show you in the coming weeks and months. Be prepared to see both new and familiar faces as we highlight a small portion of the ancient animals you will be able to bioengineer in Jurassic World Evolution 2. Don't forget to follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for all things Jurassic World Evolution 2!

These little gals look like they could be fun to keep in the park, especially if the promised more realistic behaviors is really delivered on (interacting with each other, with other species and the environment). Great potential to be amusing, cute and somehow scary at the same time. So my question for Jens:

We know that these animals don't engage in pack hunting. That makes sense given their build, their paleontological time-frame (very early primitive animals). I'm guessing the idea is that they are social yes but kinda of chaotic, similar to the raptors in The Lost World Novel and the TLW film; there's an alpha but otherwise not really a defined pack structure that we'd see develop later on in the smarter animals like raptors in JP3 or JW. Lots of infighting and chaos.

Here goes: If coelophysis hunt a single goat per animal, will only the animal that killed that goat be the only one allowed to eat from that goat? Can others of its own kind or other animals come in and try to eat? If the approaching animal(s) are of its own kind, will it let them eat or will it try to run them off with a dominance display if its the same species or potentially get scared off itself if its a larger carnivore? Will they actually eat the entire goat instead of a few bites and then walk off? Is there a chance goats can escape from time to time?

There are large bone-beds of Coelophysis that died together so I doubt they were scavengers
It can be said that they were opportunists who fed on carrion when there was an opportunity and did not hunt in a herd for larger or smaller ones, as raptors fed on smaller vertebrates or insects, and they could feed on carrion just as often as hyenas or jackals do.

I think it's funny they keep releasing these videos and articles but haven't added any of it to the official game website since it first went up. But damn. The animations and social interactions here seem really good. :)

I really like what's happening here. The lack of pack hunting, how it's vulnerable to other predators, and the fact that it won't tackle herbivores above its own size. These are all things that make the dinosaur more believable. Beautiful colours and patterns as well, really looking forward to hatching these in my park!

I have to admit coelophysis not having pack hunting is more realistic that people think considering that these dinosaurs were the earliest theropods ever discovered and not to mention they may have been feeding off of our Proto mammal ancestors during the Triassic era and they were less likely to attack anything bigger than themselves I have to admit this is a very good realistic dinosaur that I could put in my park with other large herbivores without worrying about the small carnivores like coelophysis hunting unrealistic prey like Parasaurolophus.

Jens Erik

Senior Community Manager
Frontier
The colours with that yellow-orange stripe are gorgeous. My fav in the short clip is the grey one. Looking good! and thankyou for putting one hunting a goat for a judge of the size of the Coelophysis. I'm not a fan of tiny dinosaurs, since I can barely see the compies in JWE especially if they run through some grass.
Not gonna lie, I had a tiny jaw-drop moment when I saw the Coelophysis jump that goat. I absolutely loved it!
I see that the game has very low textures in general compared to the textures of the dinosaurs which are very good.
A drop in quality is perceived in vegetation, rocks, soil and even sheep compared to the work of the dinosaurs textures and models.
Please keep in mind that this is pre-alpha footage and that development is still in progress, so there's further polish to be done.
I really like what's happening here. The lack of pack hunting, how it's vulnerable to other predators, and the fact that it won't tackle herbivores above its own size. These are all things that make the dinosaur more believable. Beautiful colours and patterns as well, really looking forward to hatching these in my park!
Thanks Chris! Happy to hear you enjoyed the Species Field Guide.

Not gonna lie, I had a tiny jaw-drop moment when I saw the Coelophysis jump that goat. I absolutely loved it!

Please keep in mind that this is pre-alpha footage and that development is still in progress, so there's further polish to be done.

Please don't make this a pre-alpha where you take stuff OUT, i would hate to discover that the final game has fewer features than the trailers. You know, like it happened for the last game.

I see that the game has very low textures in general compared to the textures of the dinosaurs which are very good.
A drop in quality is perceived in vegetation, rocks, soil and even sheep compared to the work of the dinosaurs textures and models.
Personally I think the detail on the dino models is still there, it's just less emphasized in comparison to the last game. If you zoom in on the image of the Coleophysis, you can see the scale patterns, updated shading, and other details. I will agree that the graphics and raytracing could use some work based off of some screenshots/footage, but it might be updated by the time it's released (this could also be old footage).
The last game appeared to use shadows to depict a lot of details on the models of the dinos and scenery, and while it worked for the game then it might not work for JWE2.
Overall, we'll just have to see how it looks upon release ^^

I really like the development of the game and how far the way is, I really feel that Jurassic world evolution 2 will be the best.

I like the Coelophysis. It reminds me of a big Compy. The animations look good as well. But then again I thought the Dinosaurs in JWE were amazing.

These are small Dinosaurs and the bird like behaviors fit. Some nervous darting or hopping around would be nice for the smaller more bird like ones.

But this s good stuff. I just wish we were getting more information on the game. I understand it will be released later this year so there is this hype build up Frontier wants to do. But it's not that far off. I can't wait till we get to see actual gameplay and they release more information. Hopefully it happens soon. lol

I expect we'll get one species profile vid per week, if we're lucky, especially since they're still only showing us pre-alpha footage, meaning there's still months to go before they'll give us any real detailed info, answer questions more clearly or even actual footage of the game we can expect when we eventually get to play it.
I assume they'll go through the dinos they have already officially shown in the website's gallery or the trailer first. Drag it out as long as possible.
I assume a lot of things. :p

Top Bottom