Species Field Guide - Plesiosaurus

Jens Erik

Senior Community Manager
Frontier
Welcome back, Park Managers, to our latest Species Field Guide!

In this series of articles, we will be spotlighting and discussing some of the incredible dinosaurs and reptiles you will be caring for and bioengineering in Jurassic World Evolution 2. With over 75 different species of prehistoric animals, you'll be meeting both new and familiar faces, and we are incredibly excited to share them with you!

Last time, we re-introduced Jurassic World's swift thief, the Velociraptor. This week we're once again heading into the sea-green waters of a Lagoon to come face to face with a new marine reptile: Plesiosaurus!

An early Jurassic Period marine reptile, Plesiosaurus is known for its broad turtle-like body, short tail, and long slender neck. Its four limbs were shaped like large, elongated fins, which it would use to "fly" through the ocean similar to today's sea lions or turtles. The first complete Plesiosaurus skeleton was discovered by fossil hunter Mary Anning in December 1823. At the time Plesiosaurus was considered the archetype of its kind, and the so-named "near lizard" would go on to lend its name to the order "Plesiosaur".

Plesiosaurus' long neck fascinated palaentologists, and many thought it would swim with its head above water, waiting to strike unsuspecting fish from below. This was eventually disproven through research, and due to more recent findings it's believed that Plesiosaurus may have been both a piscivore and a bottom feeder who picked up clams and crustaceans from ocean floor. When residing in your parks and facilities, your Plesiosauri will sustain themselves on fish from a Fish Feeder.

Like all other marine reptiles, Plesiosaurus will reside in a Lagoon in your parks and facilities. They get along well living on their own, but won't mind having other members of their own species around. Just keep them away from the Mosasaurus. Not only will it cause a lot of stress for your Plesiosaurus, the Mosasaurus may just end up eating the Plesiosaurus!

We are delighted to have the Plesiosaurus as part of Jurassic World Evolution 2 and we hope you are as well. Their striking silhouette and graceful movement through the water will surely attract a lot of guests to your parks. Will you be bioengineering them for yours? Let us know in the comments!

We still have more dinosaurs and reptiles to show you as we're moving closer to launch. Don't forget to follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for all things Jurassic World Evolution 2!

You can find out more information about pre-ordering Jurassic World Evolution 2 here.

Last edited:
The plesiosaurus looks so FANTASTIC!
The way it's hunted by the mosasaurus is also AWESOME! But i have a question. Will marine reptiles only eat the smaller ones or is there a combat mechanism that allows the larger ones to fight?

In this series of articles, we will be spotlighting and discussing some of the incredible dinosaurs and reptiles you will be caring for and bioengineering in Jurassic World Evolution 2. With over 75 different species of prehistoric animals, you'll be meeting both new and familiar faces, and we are incredibly excited to share them with you!

Last time, we re-introduced Jurassic World's swift thief, the Velociraptor. This week we're once again heading into the sea-green waters of a Lagoon to come face to face with a new marine reptile: Plesiosaurus!

An early Jurassic Period marine reptile, Plesiosaurus is known for its broad turtle-like body, short tail, and long slender neck. Its four limbs were shaped like large, elongated fins, which it would use to "fly" through the ocean similar to today's sea lions or turtles. The first complete Plesiosaurus skeleton was discovered by fossil hunter Mary Anning in December 1823. At the time Plesiosaurus was considered the archetype of its kind, and the so-named "near lizard" would go on to lend its name to the order "Plesiosaur".

Plesiosaurus' long neck fascinated palaentologists, and many thought it would swim with its head above water, waiting to strike unsuspecting fish from below. This was eventually disproven through research, and due to more recent findings it's believed that Plesiosaurus may have been both a piscivore and a bottom feeder who picked up clams and crustaceans from ocean floor. When residing in your parks and facilities, your Plesiosauri will sustain themselves on fish from a Fish Feeder.

Like all other marine reptiles, Plesiosaurus will reside in a Lagoon in your parks and facilities. They get along well living on their own, but won't mind having other members of their own species around. Just keep them away from the Mosasaurus. Not only will it cause a lot of stress for your Plesiosaurus, the Mosasaurus may just end up eating the Plesiosaurus!

We are delighted to have the Plesiosaurus as part of Jurassic World Evolution 2 and we hope you are as well. Their striking silhouette and graceful movement through the water will surely attract a lot of guests to your parks. Will you be bioengineering them for yours? Let us know in the comments!

We still have more dinosaurs and reptiles to show you as we're moving closer to launch. Don't forget to follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for all things Jurassic World Evolution 2!

You can find out more information about pre-ordering Jurassic World Evolution 2 here.
Frontier pls listen to what Evolution square said in her video on this

Very good! I loved JWE2 Plesiosaurus! This game is amazing!

Is it me or her head appears to be more detailed? and those teeth. Here I thought they were gliding airy creatures, feeding on seaweed...

Can't wait! I also wanted to have the giant sea turtle Archelon in the game also, since that both Elasmosaurus (the extremely long-necked plesiosaur that coexisted with Archelon) and Liopleurodon are confirmed recently. Tylosaurus was possibly confirmed recently as well.

Last edited:
I've heard rumors that the lagoon won't be available in Jurassic Park era. I really hope this isn't true.

I don't see why it wouldn't. They said we can mix eras in this game with PC and new consoles. I am sure we can have marine reptiles. I just hope we have have a JP era themed lagoon. That's how the aviary worked in JWE, there was a JP theme and JW theme. It's generally just a small cosmetic difference but it makes a huge difference to JP fans.

I have to admit, the more I see of these marine reptiles the more I am liking them and will use them in my park builds, even in my JP era sandbox park builds. The Plesiosaurus looks really nice, just as good as as the Mosasaurus. I mean all the dinosaurs looks great, especially those with the JP era skins we saw recently. Again, that buck Rex skin looks amazing. lol

I wonder if we can get any other reptiles in the game like Tanystropheus or maybe something that was exclusively land dwelling?

Every time I see the marine reptiles that this game will feature it reminds me of the first major expansion on the no shut down mobile game "Jurassic Park Builder" I freaking loved that game, 1 of only two mobile games I actually really enjoyed. They're both gone now.

Accurate size of Plesiosaurus
1634273461959.png

Top Bottom