Community Event / Creation Speed Bowl Championships - ANNOUNCEMENT

Ship: Fat Bottomed Girl, a.k.a. Project Copper Lizard
Type: Hauler
Relevant Engineering:
2A Thrusters @G5 Dirty Drive Tuning w/ Drag Drives
Speed: 5,003 m/s

0 m/s at 499km:
Da6nx28WsAE2MeU.jpg

5003 m/s at 17km. Pulling up was ... interesting...
Da6nx3SWsAARkyT.jpg

Somehow lost nearly 300 m/s compared to my testruns, but, oh well. I'll be back.

Awh man, I would have to find out about this when I'm thousands of light years out heading to Colonia... so tempted to turn around and have a go!

Xbox Captures

If I'm on Xbox One and wish to take part, any suggestions on how to submit the screen shots?

Additionally any Xbox One user can do this, it's what I do.
If you have a USB 3.0 flash drive that had no data on it, plug it into your console and format it as an external capture device. Any recording's or screenshot's will automatically be saved here and saved in mp4, jpeg, or png formats.

You are also allowed to set your capture resolution, at 720p (standard Xbox one clip capture) you can record up to an hour of gameplay, at 1080, 20 minutes.

Note however that any clip or screencap recorded by this method cannot be uploaded to Xbox live unless you do some property changes on a pc.

For people who operate YouTube channels I recommend this, just note it does not capture party or in game chat, as far as I am aware.

Ship: Fat Bottomed Girl, a.k.a. Project Copper Lizard
Type: Hauler
Relevant Engineering:
2A Thrusters @G5 Dirty Drive Tuning w/ Drag Drives
Speed: 5,003 m/s

Somehow lost nearly 300 m/s compared to my testruns, but, oh well. I'll be back.

A good start Cmdr, I know you can beat me with that setup :)

If I'm on Xbox One and wish to take part, any suggestions on how to submit the screen shots?

Use your Xbox's DVR. record that last 5 minutes or up to 10 minutes ahead. complete your run and go to xboxdvr.com if you have access to any sort of mobile device or computer, download the file, go to your record spots, ie. stopped and your max speed and take screenshots.

Interesting!

This sounds like a great excuse to break out my racing Viper and re-tune it with the latest engineering blueprints.

Now, I just need to figure out how to do the gravity-assisted acceleration, and then pull off a braking maneuver that leaves me 200m off the terrain... :D

EDIT: Whelp, nevermind. Didn't realize this was out of the bubble. My racing Viper has pretty much a 0LY jump range.

Last edited:
Interesting! Any reason why I must get around to building that iCourier! Soon!

Edit. I presume SLFs are legitimate ships to use? That way I can print more after I pancake it!

Oh, wait... Won't that mean my ship will pancake too... :eek:

Last edited:
Interesting!

This sounds like a great excuse to break out my racing Viper and re-tune it with the latest engineering blueprints.

Now, I just need to figure out how to do the gravity-assisted acceleration, and then pull off a braking maneuver that leaves me 200m off the terrain... :D

EDIT: Whelp, nevermind. Didn't realize this was out of the bubble. My racing Viper has pretty much a 0LY jump range.

It's not THAT far out of the bubble (420ly to nearest station). But yeah, I suppose you need some kind of jumping / scooping capability. Look at it as a challenge for outfitting! My racing Hauler boosts to 700m/s AND jumps 50ly, specifically for stuff like this. :D

Interesting! Any reason why I must get around to building that iCourier! Soon!

Edit. I presume SLFs are legitimate ships to use? That way I can print more after I pancake it!

Oh, wait... Won't that mean my ship will pancake too... :eek:

I would LOVE to see how the mothership AI pilots try to deal with that gravity, speed and vertical velocity! :D

Your SLF will Destruct itself if > 30km from its mothership, so I think AI is out. I could try bringing my Anaconda though if a second pilot wanted to multi seat as a chase?

It's not THAT far out of the bubble (420ly to nearest station). But yeah, I suppose you need some kind of jumping / scooping capability. Look at it as a challenge for outfitting! My racing Hauler boosts to 700m/s AND jumps 50ly, specifically for stuff like this. :D
I would LOVE to see how the mothership AI pilots try to deal with that gravity, speed and vertical velocity! :D

I would Love to see how the AI would handle the ship too, but if it goes South (literally), then my pilot dies... And it's taken way too long to train her up to Deadly to risk her on a stunt like this.

Anyone got a video of their run?
I'll try to record one tonight. I'll use the Sidey and aim to get it faster than the space shuttle. That's my personal goal. How do you twitch? Perhaps I'll do that if I can work it out

Speed run will start around 8pm game time

Regards

Cmdr over and out

I've been recording my testruns. Depending how my Writers Cramp acts up I might also have another go around 2000 server time and stream / record. No promises though. My goal is to at least reach 5500 m/s.

Basically, if you're doing this, probably no matter what ship:

< 3000 m/s - Sloooooooow! :(
3000 - 4000 m/s - Getting the hang of it! :)
4000 - 5000 m/s - Expert level, kudos! :D
5000 - 6000 m/s - Entering the ludicrous zone! [woah]
> 6000 m/s - Lolwut? :eek:

This sounds like a fun thing to do :) But I'm off doing an exploration trip at the moment.

How does the ship get going that fast? normally we have a fixed max speed in normal space, so I assume it's the gravity doing the work of accelerating the ship faster and faster? Doesn't the ship then try and use it's braking thrusters to try and slow you down and resist the gravity? Does boosting on the way down continue to accelerate you more, or just make the braking thrusters work better? maybe the ideal ship is something that accelerates really well but has terrible braking thrusters.... like a Cutter? who wants to see what top speed their $$$$ cutter will get to before pancaking? maybe i'll try that when i get back :)

Max speed appears to be a bit of a vector between g force, thrusters, angle of attack, and boost. Just heading straight down won't make you go fast.

Remember the planet's actually spinning on its axis, so you need to attack it tangentially, if that makes sense..

The faster you go the more vectoring appears to come into play.

I really hope fdev doesn't modify their planetary physics too much or this entire thing will become null and void!

Here is my laughable attempt

Ship: USS Janeway
Type: Asp Explorer
Relevant Engineering: 4A Thrusters with G3 Dirty Drive Tuning.
Speed: 1,864

Bear in mind this is me not really knowing what I'm doing apart from hurtling towards the surface as fast as I can. I just read about planetary rotation having an effect or something, but it was fun :) Also this is my ship geared up for exploring, I'd have taken my IEagle over there but its too far for my short patience :p

eHZMmSG.png

ZEOLbRX.png

Last edited:
Anyone got a video of their run?

Here is my laughable attempt

Ship: USS Janeway
Type: Asp Explorer
Relevant Engineering: 4A Thrusters with G3 Dirty Drive Tuning.
Speed: 1,864

Bear in mind this is me not really knowing what I'm doing apart from hurtling towards the surface as fast as I can. I just read about planetary rotation having an effect or something, but it was fun :) Also this is my ship geared up for exploring, I'd have taken my IEagle over there but its too far for my short patience :p

Right on cmdr! What happens if you repeat this on heading 274 °?

Last edited:
Top Bottom