Community Event / Creation Speed Bowl Championships - ANNOUNCEMENT

So with excitement and my heart beating I arrived at the co-ords to attempt my second run.

Ship: USS Janeway
Type: Asp Explorer
Relevant Engineering: 4A Thrusters with G3 Dirty Drive Tuning.
Speed: 4,603

I need to get some new underwear now as I realised I was at 12km from the surface. Many boosts and much swearing later and I managed to save it at 6km.

I might go for a 3rd try now :D

R7cHWH9.png

0aJjsC2.png

Speed run will start around 8pm game time

Regards

Cmdr over and out

OK Can't figure out twitch at short notice but I shall record it - will stick it up on Youtube later..

Anyone close by I'll start the attempt around 20:00 game time

cmdr name in game is halo jones

Last edited:
So with excitement and my heart beating I arrived at the co-ords to attempt my second run.

Ship: USS Janeway
Type: Asp Explorer
Relevant Engineering: 4A Thrusters with G3 Dirty Drive Tuning.
Speed: 4,603

4.6k In An ASP ? Nice work cmdr ! You'll be able to hit 5000+ if you lose some of that fuel I reckon !

Ship: Sidewinder
Name: Black Beyond
Speed: 6818

DbAwGiWXUAUoftB.jpg

DbAwJjJWsAAlR8-.jpg

Notes: Ran out of altitude in final "Flight-Assist Off" Vectored thrust phase. when I levelled out I found I was going 6,818 ms-1 sideways !

Will edit and upload clip to youtube...

Last edited:
It's called a SIDEwinder for a reason!

Unless I can figure out a decent way to rebind my controls, this is it:

Ship: Hauler
Name: Fat Bottomed Girl
Speed: 5165
Height: 498 -> 77

Start:
DbA86IxW4AA7J7Q.jpg

End
DbA86u5XkAYT5MP.jpg

Edit: CMDRs, take note of the heading. We (Halo Jones & I) have confirmed that heading 273.1° is the fastest. No kidding. Axial tilt + rotation means this way you're going directly against the planetary rotation.

Last edited:

+++ Tunugska Hall of Flame : "Ground Event" shortly after 7546ms-1

DbA_hDwX4AUf2Mf.jpg

DbA_n3RWsAMad1G.jpg

I'll post-process the recording and upload to youtube. I think when you are over 5,000, if you engage FA Off, pitch up 10-20 deg, apply fully vertical thrust, and DO NOT boost, you will start accelerating more. This seems to be the case with the Sidey anyway. So long as you have enough altitude, keep at the +20 > > +30 deg above horizontal and no boost and FA Off, until you reach around 6,500, after which point, if you have any altitude left, start boosting again.

Good luck cmdrs ! I've probably one run left in my #Sidewinder before I cash it in for the iEagle...

Last edited:
To the OP — great idea, I like it :)

To those trying to figure it out, here’s a thread I made 2 years ago about something similar I did at another high-g planet, with a video. The basic technique is to set throttle to full and find the angle at which your ship will keep accelerating fastest. The angle will change as your ship’s speed increases.

To clear up a misconception that I’ve seen in this thread: this has nothing to do with planet’s rotation. It has everything to do with various fudges in E:D’s flight model, which normally prevent you from going faster than you’re supposed to. (For example, if you just go FA off or disable thrusters, your ship will accelerate to 500 m/s and then stop accelerating — try it.) Techniques for achieving faster speeds rely on loopholes in those fudges.

Here's the link to my fast run as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xG2wX3EMApY&t=2640s

this has nothing to do with planet’s rotation.

It's quite obvious that all the pitching, FA juggling and adding vertical thrust somehow messes up the physics in Elite. But finding the right balance is what makes it fun, and I hope they don't "fix" this.

However, are you sure that planet rotation still has nothing to do with it? Because we're seeing significant differences when picking different headings. I'm rather consistent in my technique, and a heading opposite to the rotation nets me about 300 m/s on a mediocre attempt more than a random (say, 50°) direction with a good attempt. Of course, since you lose speed far easier at the top end than you gain it, it might just be superstition...

Last edited:
To the OP — great idea, I like it :)
To those trying to figure it out, here’s a thread I made 2 years ago about something similar I did at another high-g planet, with a video. The basic technique is to set throttle to full and find the angle at which your ship will keep accelerating fastest. The angle will change as your ship’s speed increases.

Wow Martin I didn't see your thread, excellent.

I'm uploading a couple of videos that may show where the physics 'loopholes' are. In my tests the heading does appear to have something to do with your ability to accelerate beyond normal means, as does flight assist mode, angle of your ship, and speed.

As you say, we are playing with the edges of Frontier's physics engine, but that sense of unknown is what makes this fun.

We should probably add a second event for those in the bubble at Achenar 3 - Fancy getting that one organised for the speed merchants who need a station nearby ?

We should probably add a second event for those in the bubble at Achenar 3 - Fancy getting that one organised for the speed merchants who need a station nearby ?

Achenar has the problem that it requires a permit, or I would have included it in my HaulerVsGravity tour as well. Somewhere near Colonia is a landable with >10g, though...

Ship Type 9
speed 3620

1z7OWiJ.jpg

kGSUxVo.jpg

Ship hit that planet afterwards the shields held but it didn't survive trying to leave the planet

Ship : Sidewinder
Start : 499km
End: 27.9
Speed: 7801

(Space Shuttle speed on re entry: 7800 )

DbF-Rs2XkAAvKyD.jpg

DbF-S0gW0AAWEf4.jpg

#Sidey #FTW

Last edited:
You mean you Bounced ?? ? Type 9's are seriously tough...

Nice Effort Commander !

slight bounce and landed upside down it was when I tried leave mass lock and enter supercruise I got distracted and the ship lost the fight against gravity and crashed

Last edited:
slight bounce and landed upside down it was when I tried leave mass lock and enter supercruise I got distracted and the ship lost the fight against gravity and crashed

I'd say, if you pulled out to a level vertical speed, it should count as normal attempt.

Landing or successfully leaving the planet isn't required. Just surviving the dive and leveling out. Though, looking at your screenshot, you REALLY waited for the last moment or longer, given that the ship was a T-9. :D

Last edited:
Top Bottom