Community Event / Creation Speed Bowl Championships - ANNOUNCEMENT

Deleted member 121570

D
CMDR Sanderling checking in here. The 9k barrier is (just) no more!
MCNi6LO.jpg

Well, I've tried my damndest but for the life of me I can't get the Viper past 2,500m/s. I'm obviously not getting the technique right!

However, I can confirm that 'redouts' are actually still a thing in game, as I found out while playing about. Not a full redout though, but doing high speed spins at several thousand m/s makes everything very red. I didn't manage to get a blackout though, or maybe I did but couldn't really tell over the dark side of the planet. I thought redouts and blackouts dropped out of the game ages back!

"Hey Ridley, got an Beeman's?"

Decided to take the Asp X out for a go today.

"Yeah, I got me a stick"

On the way out there I heard from Halo Jones ... he bought the farm ... damn, another man down.

"Well loan me some will ya', I'll pay you back later!"

Gritting my teeth I got in position and started my run. Really wanted to break the 8000. I hit 7900 ..

BwdAl0w.png

.. but I'm low ... too low!

[video=youtube_share;6A-K1rBToe8]https://youtu.be/6A-K1rBToe8[/video]

And here's the dramatised version with Sam Shepherd as Cmdr Alec Turner ..

[video=youtube_share;nYEKSqa41q8]https://youtu.be/nYEKSqa41q8[/video]

"So what do you have to do to get your picture up there on the wall anyway?"

"You have to die, sweetie!"

Last edited:
Great attempt! I'm so pumped for the weekend....

Here's the somewhat official trailer for the event:

[video=youtube_share;4rASukQjTXI]https://youtu.be/4rASukQjTXI[/video]

DATE IN VIDEO IS WRONG
description is correct, 28 / 29 April.

Last edited:
How important are those specific coordinates? Coords are such a pain in the to find.

I'll let the organisers answer properly but I guess, for the sake of fairness, having everyone start from roughly the same place (with the same lighting conditions and local terrain height map) makes it fair. The following might help in getting to those co-ordinates ...

XR1wD1H.jpg

The crater itself is fairly recognisable from altitude so once you get yourself in the right vicinity you can usually see it. I don't think we need to be super accurate ... as long as you're clearly in the right area and can see the crater I think you're good to go.

Thanks. It was the dark side of the planet when i arrived. I kept thinking "i don't see a crater"

When i got low enough in altitude it showed up.

Thanks for your help.

Oh and devs.... Please do something about planetary coords. I have 2 hours a day and if it takes 45 minutes to find something... Well let's just say i tend to avoid planets as being too much of a time sink to meddle with. Thanks.

Thanks. It was the dark side of the planet when i arrived. I kept thinking "i don't see a crater"

When i got low enough in altitude it showed up.

Thanks for your help.

Oh and devs.... Please do something about planetary coords. I have 2 hours a day and if it takes 45 minutes to find something... Well let's just say i tend to avoid planets as being too much of a time sink to meddle with. Thanks.

Yeah, I was there this morning too and it was dark wasn't it? Despite what I just said I could barely make out the crater, even from 500km up.

And yeah, I have 2hrs a day too. The good news is that, with practice, you'll get much better at getting to a particular set of co-ordinates (I can usually do it in well under 10 minutes) and learning a new skill in ED (and getting good at it) is one of my favourite things to do in the game.

Aside ... how I learned to find planetary co-ordinates was by taking part in a Buckyball Race which required landing at various specific planetary locations. Doing that under race conditions with the clock running made me git gud real fast! :p

[video=youtube_share;d8tqJgl4n18]https://youtu.be/d8tqJgl4n18[/video]

Ladies and Gentlemen!

Start your engines! From 00:00 UTC on 28 Apr to 23:59 UTC on 29 Apr, the inaugural #SpeedBowl3304 is happening at Chi Hydrae A 7.

No matter the ship, this is a test of skill and guts!

Join in - fly FAST!

zj20tfzwiFv5oH1Y4qN7H99ZtfJlODgWXT1BzCu7NurQUs7PNmDIUjsynS4SBpXA5LJG2mhN_qZiALTLCkXNxPFZBi1_xA4lSMQTQJ7wz6uyOGyu9p8OhuOm7jPlnQ7Z8ficaimSe-ElEdD9vn5neZS63lh1vx2Zc3Qz4VdlrQzSfhkfha3pJ2ewIjmZzjhwN_8G0Kwob2dDU5jUxSorW7NeC1twq2s5BXtFnDbN_3pLIk1f050imtfF_wmHQOVHGfkOtnmb1hBZpcCBdhdJU4P0UH7exTDLbU1IPCYrdL7XvyNUGse2eRCbQe2r7qK6QdvzdpqfdV0oY1vNWVD87LizUXk62_mhfFzUETCJcbILlslvBqY7pcnPqIY8uQL_vVwLe0dhJaUDT9JgxUQWGNBOhD_QlvGjU36KQdZe-p0K9_evdcI6yH9p9fuLChbI1qd4P1VpxaUiVfUUvS0tuQL014Kk2jgt5UXw8LzzaepxSju1Snzr_CF7CeN6c73JxKu4Q2_pNJI3yDKwuvd8JMM0mR0fiN36HxfbvSnKbSEDtcyj94aUr9AU1ianEUXR20ufWWqaNUdQYjWIs_xHYDSX47gfn6z0b2GqHNbwJJIH5AjrSVJBrikUeqrXYKbYbarppayrvQFewuz0JQgX7txEmvcD609Y=w945-h529-no

This is more like some prolonged bout of tantric love making in a threesome with gravity and your ship.

It's a fine line between becoming History or Geography

Those two statements really sum all this up.

Cmdr Aken B.
Ship name: Spirit Of Shenanigan
Ship type: Viper Mk III
Start altitude: 500 km
End altitude: 17.5 km

Speed: 8.190 m/s

(the "Spirit" has always been a fast ship and a competent Buckyball performer, but this will definitely be an highlight of its track record! :D)

5LrLldU.jpg

a0WpQX7.jpg

iOnxZgx.jpg

I'll do my best to put in an official entry, as soon as I get around all this Discord witchcraft. (I'm a slow learner :eek:)

That is some serious speed and very nice altitudes!

Added it to our internal practice result sheets, will show up on the primary post tomorrow.

I'm looking forward to seeing your event submission - Discord is ideal, but here in the forum works as well (provided you don't edit your post after). There are lots of people around that will be able to help you.

Deleted member 121570

D
Here we go!!

Sanderling
Ship: Vipera Berus
Ship Type: Adder
Start Altitude: 500km
End Altitude: 1.89km
Speed: 9040 m/s

Race Submission A:
fcdQkNe.jpg

Race Submission B:
Es1KufV.jpg

Race Submission C:
OfaWVnD.jpg

Game on! :)

So, anyone wants to take me with them during the attempt via multicrew? Is it even possible to join multicrew when i'm not docked somewhere? ^^"
But would be cool to record a video with outside views, so you can actually see how fast you're moving over the planet's surface. Also, I'm wondering what would happen if I launch a fighter at top speed :rolleyes:
My timezone is IGT+2 btw.

Deleted member 121570

D
I could take you in MC on a drop, but no fighter I'm afraid. I'm UK based so timezone should be fine. CMDR Sanderling in game, just shoot me a friend invite next time you're on.
MC does work too without you being docked. You just accept the invite and subject to instancing, tada!

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't try FA off backwards with boost to slow down from 8500m/s at low altitude :)

Yes best way to slow down is +1 degree, FA On, Full fwd thrust, ( engine thrust seems to dissipate heat ), kettle on, have a cuppa, come back, check speed, reduce throttle if below 1000m/s, rinse and repeat...

Top Bottom