Community Event / Creation Speedbowl IV - New Grounds - 21/22 November 3306 - Hypersonic gravity assisted racing is back!

And a rather important addition to the rules:

4a) The video has to start on the system map with the calendar date visible.

4b) All entrants must start the run at zero metres per second at 200 km altitude with Geological Site 8 selected as the target. The ship clock should show a time before the deadline on Sunday. You are allowed to cross the finish line after that, as long as you start your run before midnight.

4c) While there are no fixed starting coordinates, we recommend starting your first run at around 1400 km distance to the target and adjust from there.

We now have PRIZES CONFIRMED!

The podium racers will be able to pick from two Community Prize Packs and two exclusive Frontier Paintjobs!

Samples below.

1605877664600.png

1605877690301.png

The day dawns on Speedbowl Sunday, and we now have quite the leaderboard!

Don't forget - there are exlusive Frontier Paint Packs and Paintjobs to play for, as well as HCS Voicepacks. This time around, we have enough to give away to the TOP FIVE participants, not just the podium finishers!

1606039903034.png

Attachments

• 1606039336570.png
    1606039336570.png
    174 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:
Leaderboard update, with a few hours to go!

Defending champion phoebia takes the lead from BSmitty, peaking at 99.673% of the theoretical maximum.

Only 5 m/s separate the top five contestants, meaning that getting a run in as low as possible (lowest altitude at top speed) remains very important for securing your place in case of a tie.

While the top ten are dominiated, once again, by Vipers, the rest of the board offers a good mix of ships, including not only CMDR "Iceman" Azzbo27's famous Corvette, but also Mambas, Keelbacks, and a Type 10 Defender.

We are currently standing at 27 unique entries, with sulu and Donald Anderson missing purely due to technical difficulties. I apologise for the inconvenience, but it wouldn't be one of the largest races in Elite without one or two problems!

Submission time has been extended to 0100 UTC tonight, to account for the time it takes to render and upload a video.

Please start your run before midnight!

Have fun, fly fast, and miss the ground!
~PTC

1606055372452.png

Well that was fun. I would like to thank @PrimetimeCasual for hosting a truly fun event. Also thanks to all the advice and tips that everyone has so patiently provided. This was my first Speedbowl and first attempt at well frankly throwing myself at a planet and trying to miss. I managed way above my humble expectations and will most certainly take part in future events.
I would also like to congratulate @phoebia and all the winners , also in particular @Azzbo27 in that bloody Corvette because I have no idea how he pulled that out of the canyon.
Oh one last thing...you are all nuts, you do know that don`t you?

48 hours.
19 fleet carriers.
40 pilots.
70 race runs.
100s of millions in rebuy.

1 event.

Speedbowl IV - New Grounds is over. I want to take the opportunity to thank everyone involved - from scouting the location in secret, filming the trailer, making fan trailers, developing the SpeedBot, promoting the event on various Discords, YouTube, and Twitch channels, to, most importantly, you, the racers.

I am compiling some statistics and will publish a Behind The Scenes video similar to last year in the coming weeks - as usual, it started slowly on Saturday and built to a frenzy on Sunday night.

From the three-way tie for the lead, the heartbreak of top speeds just one frame outside the validation zone, to finally the insane winning run. A lot of pilots were running outside this Discord as well, trying to get valid races in and having a blast. This, to me, shows just how fun Elite can be once you start thinking outside the box.

I endeavour to bring Speedbowl back next year, bigger and better, and with even more explosions!

The top five finishers get their choice from a pool of prizes, picking in descending order - different from last year, but I couldn't cut it down to just the podium, the finish was just too close. You will receive your pm's shortly.

As always, fly fast and miss the ground!

~PTC

SB4Final.png

A plea/request for tips pretty please. Had a few goes, no recorded or even close to legit run ie finishing remotely near geo8... may have failed to miss the planet once or twice... So, no problem getting a speed into the top um 39.. but can't (i) master levelling out in my Cobra III, or (iv) how the heck to navigate directionally towards the canyon with fa-off and nowt but up or down thrust. Any tips? If there are vids to watch of the actual runs that may help? On (i) well have upwards thrust full on anyway so doesnt seem to level it. What do you have to do different to the 5 degrees or so pitch that makes it speed up (but doesn't stop you hurtling downwards) when using up thruster? FOon obviously just kills the speed which defeats the point. (ii) especially starting 1400km away, I realised I wouldnt make it in 10 mins, as I started sailing further to the side of the Geo8 and no longer directly towards it. Is the trick to tilt on the horizontal so you are sideslipping and not just going up/down with the thruster? PS great events, and kudos to the winners and well everyone taking part. All tips etc gratefully received;

For one, I obviously need to remove that "takes around 10 minutes per run" line from the announcement, it causes too much confusion, even if I clarified it in the FAQ. That was an estimate, not a limit. Mea Culpa!

I am not quite sure if you misunderstood the "up thrust only" - that is the way of going faster, but of course you are free to use all kind of directional thrusters.

For staying on target - without seeing your runs, the best tip I can give is to not care where your ship is pointing. Watch the spacedust very, very closely. And make it come straight from the target. Correct drifts with your lateral (sideways) thrusters only, do not attempt anything clever with yaw or roll.

And of course, come join us on Discord next year, you'll get all sorts of help over there!

A plea/request for tips pretty please. Had a few goes, no recorded or even close to legit run ie finishing remotely near geo8... may have failed to miss the planet once or twice... So, no problem getting a speed into the top um 39.. but can't (i) master levelling out in my Cobra III, or (iv) how the heck to navigate directionally towards the canyon with fa-off and nowt but up or down thrust. Any tips? If there are vids to watch of the actual runs that may help? On (i) well have upwards thrust full on anyway so doesnt seem to level it. What do you have to do different to the 5 degrees or so pitch that makes it speed up (but doesn't stop you hurtling downwards) when using up thruster? FOon obviously just kills the speed which defeats the point. (ii) especially starting 1400km away, I realised I wouldnt make it in 10 mins, as I started sailing further to the side of the Geo8 and no longer directly towards it. Is the trick to tilt on the horizontal so you are sideslipping and not just going up/down with the thruster? PS great events, and kudos to the winners and well everyone taking part. All tips etc gratefully received;
The main thing on stearing towards the target is to keep an eye on the space dust (the tiny white particles that fly towards and past you when you're travelling at speed). Irrespective of the direction your nose is pointing, those tell you the direction you're actually travelling in. Essentially you want them to be coming from the target. If you start to drift off course you'll notice that those space dust particles start coming from either left or right of the target and you need to use your lateral thrusters to correct that. Towards the end of the run you may get a more accurate sense of direction by paying close attention to the direction the ground is moving directly beneath you.

Top Bottom