Squadron Recreation to Align with PMF

My group is very fortunate and excited that our PMF was recently added to ED. We want to disband and recreate our squadron so that we can have a name more closely associated with our PMF before we have the squadron formally declare allegiance to the PMF. This is all easy enough to accomplish. Our concern lies with the term "Player Group" vs "Squadron."

The contact commander and email will not change.
If we recreate/rename the squadron, would it be best to also change the name of the Player Group?
Is it possible to request a Player Group name change? What is the process for doing so?

When you say Player Group do you mean the name of the PMF? If so, then I doubt very much you will be able to change it now.

My group is very fortunate and excited that our PMF was recently added to ED. We want to disband and recreate our squadron so that we can have a name more closely associated with our PMF before we have the squadron formally declare allegiance to the PMF. This is all easy enough to accomplish. Our concern lies with the term "Player Group" vs "Squadron."

The contact commander and email will not change.
If we recreate/rename the squadron, would it be best to also change the name of the Player Group?
Is it possible to request a Player Group name change? What is the process for doing so?
Player group is just that; a group of players who've identified themselves as a group, with a nominated community leader.

You need to be a registered group to have a faction put in the game sure, but being a registered group with FD does not imply having a faction in the game.

But squadrons have nothing to do with player groups, nor is a pmf tied in any way to a particular squadron. Squadrons are 100% in game constructs.

Thank you for your replies. Some clarifications of my questions may help:

When you say Player Group do you mean the name of the PMF? If so, then I doubt very much you will be able to change it now.
No. We are very happy with our PMF name and understand that it cannot change.

Player group is just that; a group of players who've identified themselves as a group, with a nominated community leader.
We understand this. Our community leader and contact information remain the same. It is only the name of the "Player Group" and squadron that will change.

You need to be a registered group to have a faction put in the game sure, but being a registered group with FD does not imply having a faction in the game.
We understand that having a registered group does not imply having a faction in the game. We already have a faction in the game and are excited about it. We want no changes to the faction. The crux of our question is whether recreating/renaming our squadron necessitates a change to our registered "Player Group" name with FD.

But squadrons have nothing to do with player groups, nor is a pmf tied in any way to a particular squadron. Squadrons are 100% in game constructs.
That is our initial understanding as well. Our confusion stems from the terms being used interchangeably by FD on the page that details the criteria for "Player Group" registration:

1) We need to know the name of your Player Group/Squadron.
2) Next, we need to know the type of Player Group/Squadron that you are.

We are trying to do the right thing and want to know if we should be sending a "Player Group" name change request to FD when we recreate our in-game squadron. We are not asking about PMF at all.

Last edited:
1) We need to know the name of your Player Group/Squadron.
2) Next, we need to know the type of Player Group/Squadron that you are.
So, my bad, because I didn't realise that was the wording on the faction registration form... which is kinda screwed to be honest. I've only ever known player groups to be able to request a faction, and for me it doesn't make sense (in the contstruct FD uses) to have Squadrons requesting factions.

Do you still need to provide a "leader" email address? That's really the only thing they care about; having that single point of contact for your group, so if that hasn't changed I wouldn't worry too much.

Top Bottom