Squadrons is the perfect opportunity for space legs

Dear devs,

As squadrons feature has been delayed, i'd like to suggest to implement space legs with it.

You guys always say you don't wanna make space legs unless you come up with content around it.

So my idea is to allow players to walk arond the fleet carriers to control it. For example, go there, fix something there, use the turret etc etc. I was honnestly waiting for this kind of stuff in multi-crew update but maybe now is the time?

With walking around the fleet carriers you can also allow players to explore their own ships or at least cockpits as well. This would be perfect for the first step of implementing the long waited feature.

CMDR connieyefimov

Firstly, squadrons are not delayed. Livestream next thursday. Its only the acrriers that are delayed.

Secondly, how is the code to implement track and manage a new strategic feature like squadrons and align everything so that it has the appropriate affect on BGS etc remotely similar to the modelling, changes to the game engine and graphics necessary to add the ability to walk around??

I am not objectionable to "space legs" but I object strongly to time sinks and that is what I see in the OP.

The entertainment in such a thing will wear thin after a couple of events, then it just becomes additional tedium to get to the actual game play.

Jesus Christ that sounds boring: need to repair a shield? Walk 5 minutes. Need to get into a Fighter? Walk 5 minutes. Need to access a commodity market? Walk 5 minutes.

If the only use of space legs is to literally add grind then I’d rather not have them.

FDev would literally have to add the equivalent of a full 3D FPS engine into the game to make it do anything remotely interesting or useful.

a full 3D FPS engine into the game to make it do anything remotely interesting or useful.
Cobra already is a first person-capable engine - the entire flight and driving sections of the game are played in first person, and the SRVs respond to the geometry of the surfaces they're driving on.

Whether or not there's anything interesting to do is the challenge (well that and whether or not to force an instance change to allow more detailed geometry or to up the polygon count and include players on foot in the same instances as the ships. Then we can enjoy Star Citizen levels of performance!)

Top Bottom