SRV'ing round a ridge world - Pomeche 2 c

I've completed the circumnavigation, the final entry is here: Day 30

Disclamer:
This post contains the ravings of SRV obsessive. Please don't let it put you off the srv, but if you find yourself in one anything you do is not my fault.

When I told a few folk that I was thinking about circumnavigating Pomeche 2 C people said "meh", "🤷‍♂️" and "madman".
Undeterred I let the idea fester for while before committing to it and here I am, crawling my way up a 70 degree icy slope wondering what I was thinking.

Some background, Pomeche 2 C is well known in the racing communities as an amazing location for both ship and srv racing due to it's terrain with canyons and ridges over 10 km down or up, depending on which way you're facing in the tumble.

Pomeche overview.jpg

In the middle of that is Alec Turner's Pomeche Ridge Challenge, 65 kms of srv heaven/hell (delete as applicable) which I have spent many an srv rebuy obsessing over.

The ridge in all it's glory from bottom middle up:
Pomeche ridge on approach.jpg

Somewhere during my many runs I thought it would be a good idea to carry on the ~130 kms to the end of the ridge and from there wondering what it would be like to carry on.
So here I am:
Pomeche icey slope.jpg

There was supposed to be a lot more flyving and a little less grovelling up a mountain with marginal traction but I'm in for the long haul.
And yes, I've already started, a post will follow with day 1's adventures.

This is mainly as a handy way and place of keeping a diary of my journey, but I hope there will be some value for casual readers.

o7 cmdrs

Edit: I'll post links to entries here as an easy way to navigate to them:
Attempt 1 - Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4
Attempt 2 - Day 1, Day 2, Day 3, Day 4, Day 5, Day 6, Day 7, Day 8, Day 9 and 10, Day 11, Day 12, Day 13, Days 14 and 15, Day 16, Day 17, Day 18, Day 19, Day 20, Day 21, Day 22 - part 1, Day 22 - part 2, Day 23 - part 1, Day 23 - part 2, Day 24, Day 25, Day 26 - part 1, Day 26 - Part 2, Day 26 - Part 3, Day 27 - Part 1, Day 27 - Part 2, Day 28, Day 29 - Part 1, Day 30

Attachments

• Pomeche overview.jpg
    Pomeche overview.jpg
    414.1 KB · Views: 252
Last edited:
Part 1:

The first steps are always the hardest.
In this case it was actually making the decision to try this, but that doesn't mean it doesn't still pinch a little when you arrive at the moment itself:

Deployed and ready to go.jpg

Out of time trialling habit I had to wait until the clock zero'd at the top of the minute and then took that step and pushed the throttle, rolling forward and slowly getting the flyving rythym going.
I'd been back here recently and done a run with Alec where I'd fallen off the ridge and I would've laughed so hard if I'd fallen off today (and debated about whether I'd start again if I did) but in the moment I was loving the feeling and the views.
Middle left of the following is a brown ridge in the distance which is my immediate aim and things went smoothly to get there:
Pomeche ridge nearing black.jpg

until they didn't:
Pomeche falling off the ridge.jpg

It's about 6 kms down to the canyon here so it took a while to tumble and slide to the bottom, (and decide to give up on getting back up,) enough time to contemplate my navel a little.
Didn't find anything worthwhile.

So I had to pick my way across the canyon floor. This was painstaking, and frankly tedious at times, but then there were little moments like how to do I get over there?:
how to I get over there.jpg

Well, like this:
Source: https://youtu.be/iT3D0xWjqIA

Eventually I got to a point where it was time to get onto the ridge to my south for the brown ridge I mentioned earlier, but I was puzzled about where to begin:
How do I get up that.jpg

Deploying my immense artistic skills it went something like this, with the zigzags being the only way up an icy 70 degree slope where the marginal grip grovelling happened:
How do I get up that 2.jpg

Looking back, the Pomeche Ridge is the nearer, lower one:
looking back.jpg

I've covered just over 11 degrees so far, Time to take a break ready to tackle the brown ridge ahead:
Lookign forward.jpg

o7 cmdrs

Edit: link to Part 2

Last edited:
Wow. Great stuff!
Love your writing and pictures that come with the story.
That planet is going to provide quite a challenge and looks like a great adventure that I'll follow closely.
:D(y)

A circumnavigation of Pomeche 2C. I had contemplated this myself in the past but confess I gave it up as impossible. If there's anyone crazy skilled enough to prove me wrong then it's the current reigning champion of the Pomeche Ridge Challenge! There is no salute big enough to convey the respect I have for this endeavour.

May your boost capacitor be plentiful and your repair synthesis be there when you need it!

P.S. just watched that "getting across" jump ... holy crap dude! 😵

Last edited:
is Pomeche the only bubble planet with ridges and mountains like that?
I actually don't know. @"Red" the Pirate says Ariel (thanks o7) but @Alec Turner might know of more.

There's a few even more extreme ridge examples outside the bubble, and other things in the bubble like Mount Neverest on Nervi 3 A for base jumping which is so high gravity doesn't work properly.

I've given up on icy planets afters spinning out on a nearly flat surface.

Many respects, Commander!
Thanks Vedmo o7
I spin out all the time, just don't put that in the write ups ;)

However, v.happy to provide pointers if folk would find them helpful.

Wow. Great stuff!
Love your writing and pictures that come with the story.
That planet is going to provide quite a challenge and looks like a great adventure that I'll follow closely.
:D(y)
Much appreciated Florenus o7

I always found the SRV has a bit more traction in reverse for those steep slopes.
Yeah it does o7

My zigzags up the icy slope were sometimes alternating reverse then forward gently angling up, any bigger turns would result in a slide. Makes it tricky to see where you're going though and I've gone off an 'edge' more than once :D

May your boost capacitor be plentiful and your repair synthesis be there when you need it!

😊

Edit: I could also provide 5 mins footage of me stuck in a hole.
Actually, maybe I will put that up at some point

Edit 2: cause I can't spell icey :rolleyes:

Last edited:
"Getting across" jump... I'm speechless... o_Oo_Oo_O

How do you guys manage to have such responsive SRV steering? I keep on trying to "fly" my SRV on HOSAS setup but find steering much more sluggish and with much more inertia than in your movies. Is it smth about tweaking controlls or just my abysmal skills?

"Getting across" jump... I'm speechless... o_Oo_Oo_O

How do you guys manage to have such responsive SRV steering? I keep on trying to "fly" my SRV on HOSAS setup but find steering much more sluggish and with much more inertia than in your movies. Is it smth about tweaking controlls or just my abysmal skills?
Thank you!

Depends what you mean by sluggish, can you show/point to what you mean by that?

The lower inertia from bounces comes from landing v.slightly nose down with both wheels touching at the same time (stops the ground twisting the srv) and making v.gentle steering inputs unless I'm going slowly.
(make sure your steering is an analogue axis and drive assist off if you're not already. Also, bear in mind that gravity plays a big part in how the SRV feels, Pomeche is a low G world)

Alec has a great vid showing the basics of flyving and staying orientated which might help:
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMZ4a4PkktU

I've always wondered what it was like beyond the end of the Black run ...
Eeek! As I suspected, flippin' brutal!

Ha. This was the run where I was first thinking about the cirumnav and decided to see if I could reach the end. My favourite part is 2:38 where the Type-7 "Pepper" flies out of the ridge and I overtake in the srv :cool:

Errrr, are you sure about that? 🤣
No 😅
Often, how about often the hardest?

Nice! I'm tempted...
Excellent!
Remember, it's not my fault.

Last edited:
The first steps are always the hardest.
In this case it was actually making the decision to try this, but that doesn't mean it doesn't still pinch a little when you arrive at the moment itself:

View attachment 200856

Out of time trialling habit I had to wait until the clock zero'd at the top of the minute and then took that step and pushed the throttle, rolling forward and slowly getting the flyving rythym going.
I'd been back here recently and done a run with Alec where I'd fallen off the ridge and I would've laughed so hard if I'd fallen off today (and debated about whether I'd start again if I did) but in the moment I was loving the feeling and the views.
Middle left of the following is a brown ridge in the distance which is my immediate aim and things went smoothly to get there:
View attachment 200859

until they didn't:
View attachment 200861

It's about 6 kms down to the canyon here so it took a while to tumble and slide to the bottom, (and decide to give up on getting back up,) enough time to contemplate my navel a little.
Didn't find anything worthwhile.

So I had to pick my way across the canyon floor. This was painstaking, and frankly tedious at times, but then there were little moments like how to do I get over there?:
View attachment 200862

Well, like this:
Source: https://youtu.be/iT3D0xWjqIA

Eventually I got to a point where it was time to get onto the ridge to my south for the brown ridge I mentioned earlier, but I was puzzled about where to begin:
View attachment 200867

Deploying my immense artistic skills it went something like this, with the zigzags being the only way up an icy 70 degree slope where the marginal grip grovelling happened:
View attachment 200868

Looking back, the Pomeche Ridge is the nearer, lower one:
View attachment 200869

I've covered just over 11 degrees so far, Time to take a break ready to tackle the brown ridge ahead:
View attachment 200870

o7 cmdrs

This is simultaneously bonkers and brilliant! o7

What tickles me is that for some bizarre reason I also got the urge to drive along a ridge and off the other end last night... Though I'm a long way off committing to another circumnavigation, I think. :)

Will be watching your journey with interest, and will head over there at some point and join you for a stretch or two. I'll keep an eye out for when you're at an easy bit (if such a thing exists there). :ROFLMAO:

Will your route take you over the epic mountain range?

Source: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/845126096

Apparently the Twitch embed is broken...

Last edited:
Disclamer:
This post contains the ravings of SRV obsessive. Please don't let it put you off the srv, but if you find yourself in one anything you do is not my fault.

When I told a few folk that I was thinking about circumnavigating Pomeche 2 C people said "meh", "🤷‍♂️" and "madman".
Undeterred I let the idea fester for while before committing to it and here I am, crawling my way up a 70 degree icy slope wondering what I was thinking.

Some background, Pomeche 2 C is well known in the racing communities as an amazing location for both ship and srv racing due to it's terrain with canyons and ridges over 10 km down or up, depending on which way you're facing in the tumble.

View attachment 200760

In the middle of that is Alec Turner's Pomeche Ridge Challenge, 65 kms of srv heaven/hell (delete as applicable) which I have spent many an srv rebuy obsessing over.

The ridge in all it's glory from bottom middle up:
View attachment 200765

Somewhere during my many runs I thought it would be a good idea to carry on the ~130 kms to the end of the ridge and from there wondering what it would be like to carry on.
So here I am:
View attachment 200766

There was supposed to be a lot more flyving and a little less grovelling up a mountain with marginal traction but I'm in for the long haul.
And yes, I've already started, a post will follow with day 1's adventures.

This is mainly as a handy way and place of keeping a diary of my journey, but I hope there will be some value for casual readers.

o7 cmdrs

I hope you noted your SRV mileage before starting this venture!

Good Luck!!! :oops:

I only just watched it because of your 'holy crap' comment. And it's true, holy crap!

I was wondering... why is he (or she) constantly looking over to the left, and why are they trying to jump against a near-vertical wall?

And then... oh! Aaaaaah!

What tickles me is that for some bizarre reason I also got the urge to drive along a ridge and off the other end last night... Though I'm a long way off committing to another circumnavigation, I think. :)

Will be watching your journey with interest, and will head over there at some point and join you for a stretch or two. I'll keep an eye out for when you're at an easy bit (if such a thing exists there). :ROFLMAO:

Will your route take you over the epic mountain range?
Nice world you found, that looked cool. I've got a potato I came across I've been meaning to ping you.

Cheers Crank, and visit anytime, there's a surprising amount of steady terrain despite what it might look like. I'll tell you if I'm bogged down somewhere. Honest ;)
The Epic range is actually well out of the way really but probably yes :D

I hope you noted your SRV mileage before starting this venture!

Good Luck!!! :oops:
That is a really good thought, and no I hadn't. Cheers Susanna o7
Edit: and now I've checked my total SRV distance is 0.1ls :eek: I'm not sure it'll even tick up after I get round this.
I think I'm a lost cause ...

Got some writing to do.

Last edited:
Top Bottom