SRVs and QOL

First off, since I don't post here much (I don't think I have ever, honestly!), o7 fellow Commanders and our glorious FDev overlords.

I have an honestly small suggestion that I feel would really add a bit of quality-of-life to SRVs. It's probably been suggested ad nauseum before, but in case it hasn't--and because I needed a break between engineering material gathering hops--I want to put it into words.

Can we please, somehow, get a throttle indicator in turret mode on the SRVs? Actively driving around in turret-mode is how I gather materials when there's more than a single something to be scooped up, and/or a lot of things at which to shoot; i.e.: when gathering materials out of destructible panels at Guardian Structures; when scooping up the oodles of Manufactured Materials at Dav's Hope; when collecting Raw Materials out of the Crashed Anaconda in Koli Descii or the Bug Hunter. It's easier (or perhaps just for me more intuitive) to be able to freely look around without steering, especially when, on especially low-gravity planets, a good sized rock can send my rover tumbling uncontrollably. Even a simple percentage readout somewhere on the turret-mode UI would suffice to remind Commanders that the throttle-up and throttle-down keys we're reflexively mashing to try to control ourselves in the air do nothing would save myself and, I feel safe in assuming, other relatively new-to-SRV-operation-Commanders a lot of frustrating landings onto full-throttle tires.

My first time out trying to solo a Guardian Structure to unlock the much sought-after FSD Boosters, for example, was a terribly harrowing experience specifically because I lost the first of my two SRVs to hull damage after a number of full-throttle landings post boost flight during heated gunfights with Sentinels left me tumbling, spinning, rolling and eating far more damage than I otherwise might have. Sure, several hundred gameplay hours behind the wheel of my SRV later, I don't have this issue anymore, and Guardian Structures are a cakewalk, but even with my much improved ability to handle SRV controls, the lack of a throttle display in the turret-mode UI feels wrong and sorely missed.

Yes, I admit, there's a bit of a 'git gud' argument to be made here, and that this 'issue' isn't as pressing as a great many others, but neither of those mean that this isn't a simple-to-implement feature (just add a throttle percentage readout SOMEWHERE on the turret mode UI) that at least one Commander would very much appreciate having added.

Add a radar to that request, no real reason why we can't have it too. The turret cockpit is actually just a camera, so it should be 100% acceptable to add an overlay showing throttle, radar, etc.

Last edited:
Top Bottom