Star Citizen Discussion Thread v11

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
The massacre in visual form:

8rbPJy1.jpg

I think Star Citizen will crash and burn before it ever reaches Beta.....

It's the saviour of PC gaming. Perhaps taking a break from the project will let you see just how far they have progressed. Development takes time and they have to build the studios to build the tools to build the pipelines to build the ramps to model the blood O2 levels of procedurally generated subsumpted Sandwurmies throughout their entire AI lifecycle. It's so fidelitious that the servers outpace any attachment attempt by fibre. Not enough backers have bought Idrises, which is why SQ42 is taking up project time so that when it releases the console players can fund PU development and essential space gaem research on yachts, which is why it's the savior of PC gaming.

When CIG dropped their recent diatribe to the judge in the court case, every streamer was beaming about it and declaring the case over. So far I have not heard one streamer even mention Crytek's response, let alone respond to it.

I've just watched a couple of your videos on youtube and SC does look good.
I might even buy into now and see for myself what the game is really like.

Don't listen to the haters.
CIG may have spaffed about a third of a Billion dollars on SC so far, but that means they're playing in the big leagues with the likes of Activision Blizzard and Rockstar so there's no denying that SC is a genuine AAA experience. Remarkable and unprecedented for a crowd-funded game. And everyone knows that paying $60 for a AAA game is a myth now, so don't be put off by the big numbers attached to some of the store items. In fact, in SC it's just a transparent up-front price rather than the accumulation of smaller microtransactions that old-fashioned publishers and mobile game developers use to trick players into paying similar amounts, or even more. And no, it's not P2W or anything because it will all be earnable through actual game play, when the game releases. And it will all be balanced fairly so people who didn't spend $$$ won't have to grind but the real fans who did won't feel cheated.

That said, don't fall for the claims that you can get in for just $45 or whatever the minimum package is. For the full experience you'll want to be in the special "concierge" tier, which starts at $1k. I know, I know, it's sounds a lot for an early access indie demo like you might find on Steam Direct, but when you factor in the groundbreaking game play that SC features, some say above and beyond what any other game has to offer, and the philanthropic satisfaction of enabling the continued development as well as helping to house the homeless (in mansions no less) and being able to banter with the actual devs in person at exclusive events (additional fees apply), and the camaraderie that exists within the community, you'll see that it's clearly worth it.

Full disclosure, because you might see some haters being critical of the state of the game: yes there are some bugs, but that's totally normal for a game this early in development. Also, ignore the rumours about a court case because it obviously has no merit, or FUD about the roadmap, because people just aren't used to CIG's transparent development process, or the recent absence of some major executives, or the shell companies which are perfectly normal for a successful business, or the fact the game was supposed to be released nearly 6 years ago, because the entire community voted to let CIG increase the scope in a completely open-ended way, so deadlines no longer apply. Or the fact that the CEO claimed the game would be "stale" if took longer than 3 years to develop, nearly 8 years ago, because even he didn't see how great the game was going to become, and he's a renowned industry visionary and veteran (and director of the acclaimed Wing Commander Movie). He wouldn't have got A-list stars like Gary Oldman and Sandi Gardiner (yes, from the movie The Perception) on board if he hadn't thrown backer money at them and been married to one of them.

But most importantly, if you want the TRUTH then you should go to the official forums, because they're properly moderated and you'll find that only the most informed and credulous fans post there, and there's a special VIP area for concierge backers, which I mentioned before.

I for one, have no faith this project will ever become a game and I doubt it will ever reach beta before some judge puts an end to it.

You just don't understand game development!

Every unit of currency that CI-G raises is worth four units of currency in any other published AAAA^A^A game, so what you are really buying into is a TWO BILLION US DOLLAR space game of completely unprecedented creativity, fidelity, never-been-done-before immersion and completely unimagined lateness. These are the very earliest stages of development. Just wait until the pipelines come together and they unleash the New Refactored Netcode - not only will you have 10000 backers desperately queuing up to mop your Idris, you'll have another 10000 concierge-level gamers mopping up the mess the noob moppers make and monetizing their streams. It's going to be glorious!

Sorry, you just wrong on my understanding of game development. I worked for M$ for ten years building OS's and Flight Simulator. I know what software and game development looks like and CGI has demonstrated the worst version of it I have ever seen.

You just need to believe more and trust in the Vision! Star Citizen is the best game that has ever been even concieved and it is still in it's early, early days. My own rich programming history comes from watching YouTube videos of Star Citizen developers developing the BDSSE, so I know a thing or two about game development!

Sorry, you just wrong on my understanding of game development. I worked for M$ for ten years building OS's and Flight Simulator. I know what software and game development looks like and CGI has demonstrated the worst version of it I have ever seen. There are those who stand behind Chris Roberts and then there are those who know his history. He was fired from M$ because he spent funds on making movies instead of game development. He married a woman who is now marketing director who knows nothing about marketing and flies in late to a major marketing campaign the night before it starts claiming she is late because she was in Hollywood filming a bit role in some minor movie part. I could go on and on about Chris Roberts failures, all part of the public record, but in conclusion, It's my opinion that this project is now doomed to failure and the only thing left to discuss is how it will end and whether those who backed it will ever be compensated.

Your certainly entitled to your opinion. As well, I am entitled to mine. I wish I had put my money into more copies of Elite. At least its a finished game,

o7.....

Don't mind Asp, he majors in networking and sarcasm ;)

The thread always welcomes people who don't understand game development. (As the faithful would gladly assure you you don't ;))

(Don't get yourself in trouble, but any tales you can safely share about Chris's Freelancer fumble and stumble out of Digital Anvil always welcome :))

CIG may have spaffed about a third of a Billion dollars on SC so far, but that means they're playing in the big leagues with the likes of Activision Blizzard and Rockstar so there's no denying that SC is a genuine AAA experience. [etc etc etc]
:ROFLMAO: My sides.

Sorry, you just wrong on my understanding of game development.
Probably, but you're not familiar enough with Star Citizen development to get the meaning of what Asp said. The phrase “you don't understand [X] development” has become something of a meme ever since it became the standard response among the citizenry whenever someone raised informed and knowledgable arguments against the latest brainwave coming out of Wilmslow. Thus, any time you want to play with Poe's Law, you are pretty much obligated to include the phrase somehow — preferably when it is very clear that the other party is highly informed about the subject matter. When there is no way to sensibly dismiss an argument, this offers an immediate non-sensible alternative. ;)

Rest assured: Asp is fully aware of the history and general lunacy of the project and its principal participants.

CIG may have spaffed about a third of a Billion dollars on SC so far, but that means they're playing in the big leagues with the likes of Activision Blizzard and Rockstar so there's no denying that SC is a genuine AAA experience. Remarkable and unprecedented for a crowd-funded game. And everyone knows that paying $60 for a AAA game is a myth now, so don't be put off by the big numbers attached to some of the store items. In fact, in SC it's just a transparent up-front price rather than the accumulation of smaller microtransactions that old-fashioned publishers and mobile game developers use to trick players into paying similar amounts, or even more. And no, it's not P2W or anything because it will all be earnable through actual game play, when the game releases. And it will all be balanced fairly so people who didn't spend $$$ won't have to grind but the real fans who did won't feel cheated.

That said, don't fall for the claims that you can get in for just $45 or whatever the minimum package is. For the full experience you'll want to be in the special "concierge" tier, which starts at $1k. I know, I know, it's sounds a lot for an early access indie demo like you might find on Steam Direct, but when you factor in the groundbreaking game play that SC features, some say above and beyond what any other game has to offer, and the philanthropic satisfaction of enabling the continued development as well as helping to house the homeless (in mansions no less) and being able to banter with the actual devs in person at exclusive events (additional fees apply), and the camaraderie that exists within the community, you'll see that it's clearly worth it.

Full disclosure, because you might see some haters being critical of the state of the game: yes there are some bugs, but that's totally normal for a game this early in development. Also, ignore the rumours about a court case because it obviously has no merit, or FUD about the roadmap, because people just aren't used to CIG's transparent development process, or the recent absence of some major executives, or the shell companies which are perfectly normal for a successful business, or the fact the game was supposed to be released nearly 6 years ago, because the entire community voted to let CIG increase the scope in a completely open-ended way, so deadlines no longer apply. Or the fact that the CEO claimed the game would be "stale" if took longer than 3 years to develop, nearly 8 years ago, because even he didn't see how great the game was going to become, and he's a renowned industry visionary and veteran (and director of the acclaimed Wing Commander Movie). He wouldn't have got A-list stars like Gary Oldman and Sandi Gardiner (yes, from the movie The Perception) on board if he hadn't thrown backer money at them and been married to one of them.

But most importantly, if you want the TRUTH then you should go to the official forums, because they're properly moderated and you'll find that only the most informed and credulous fans post there, and there's a special VIP area for concierge backers, which I mentioned before.
You could have just said "Don't buy it, it's a scam!" ;)

The Star Citizen Refunds subreddit is accessible again.

This news shows CIG didn't win the court case. For years, CIG has marketed and sold SQ42 as a separate game while the original license is only for 1 game.

CIG uses a delay strategy. According to a recent verified discovery response, CIG said Squadron 42 is far from finished despite years of development on SC. So rather than continuing the lawsuit, Crytek wants to dismiss it without prejudice and then file the same lawsuit again once the development and release of SQ42 is certain.

Crytek also said CIG never stopped using the CryEngine code that was licensed under the original GLA. A second license with Amazon (Lumberyard) doesn't void the restrictions of the first license with Crytek. As soon as CIG admits that they're developing a standalone version of SQ42 then they will be in breach of the original GLA.

Last edited:
As soon as CIG admits that they're developing a standalone version of SQ42 then they will be in breach of the original GLA.

Strictly speaking, Crytek claim the very act of having developed SQ42 as a separate game, historically, breached the GLA.

They’re still arguing that release of SQ42 isn’t necessary to demonstrate a breach. (Reading between the lines, what they’re saying is: Release is where the biggest damage, and the biggest reparations, lie).

If the redacted discovery info states compellingly enough that CIG are planning a stand-alone release (or indeed that they’ve been deliberately delaying such a release), then I could see the judge going for it. But it’s still a fairly weird web of claims at the moment. Crytek are saying release both doesn’t matter, and very much does (as far as the dismissal goes).

I think the ‘GLA still holds’ argument continues to be really intriguing though. And that the court will continue to feel it warrants a trial, at whatever juncture.

We’ve had the spin from both sides now. Time for the take that actually matters. The judge’s decision on the 7th ;)

Last edited:
Interesting. Some how it feels dirty, CIG seems to get something out of it anyway it goes. With prejudice they can call it a win and gain backer trust and PR. Without prjudice they get an excuse for not releasing SQ42 (to avoid court expense of Crytek bullying).

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom