Star Citizen Discussion Thread v11

I see... so this "achievement" of CIG is them basically saying they are still going to wipe, just less often?
This is their description:
We have added an early version of long term persistence to allow player purchases and UEC balance to persist between database wipes. For now, we will persist FPS item purchases, ship component purchases, ship purchases, and UEC earnings.

We have added an early version of long term persistence to allow player purchases and UEC balance to persist between database wipes. For now, we will persist FPS item purchases, ship component purchases, ship purchases, and UEC earnings.
Why is this talking them so long? Other games do this as though it is nothing, just a basic feature and yet CIG make this multi-year song and dance about it as though it's the hardest thing they have worked on yet.

Why is this talking them so long? Other games do this as though it is nothing, just a basic feature and yet CIG make this multi-year song and dance about it as though it's the hardest thing they have worked on yet.
They are saving part of the application's state to (what I assume is) a relational database. It's groundbreaking innovation.

Depends what you mean by 'so long' ;) Last week: no persistence. This week: Some persistence. A week isn't sooo long.

As you say, persistence is pretty basic - but it could be argued that dev time was better spent on other more innovative things. And certainly not having persistence means they don't end up having legacy modules etc - migrating everything forward as you change stuff can really slow projects down*, especially when you get it wrong - think how many 'all my credits/modules/ships just vanished' posts they avoided by resetting every few months :D

OTOH I would also argue that doors and floors not killing you is also pretty basic, and they didn't implement that feature yet, so maybe they just don't know what they are doing 😝

Edit: * Of course the opposite side of this is that by not having persistence they haven't been working out any bugs with persistence, so they will just have to do that now.

Last edited:
You can't help but brag when you get to finish to eat a yoghurt with a fork.

CIG in a nutshell:

Last edited:
I take it there will still be a full wipe before eventual release?

once they get to the gamma stage (ED eqivalent) that means any stuff earned and rep gained will carry into release. that will be my green light to properly start playing. until then i dont want to burn out.

Umm.. so those things didn't persist between wipes before? Because i thought they did.
Nothing did persist, you had to re-create your character, and UEC etc. were completely reset.

I take it there will still be a full wipe before eventual release?
That goes without saying ...

once they get to the gamma stage (ED eqivalent) that means any stuff earned and rep gained will carry into release. that will be my green light to properly start playing. until then i dont want to burn out.
Depends, on some games they do wipe completely just before the release, and then some of them do give a 1 or 2 day head start to backers / beta testers.

Nope...everything earned in the PU went with a wipe previously...bits of armour, ship upgrades...aUEC earned.
Yeah, so as i just replied to Surefoot, all they have done is simply stop wiping some data on wipes.

Never been done before! (sorry, couldn't resist)

Yeah, so as i just replied to Surefoot, all they have done is simply stop wiping some data on wipes.

Never been done before! (sorry, couldn't resist)
It hasn't...and why backers don't stick around in between the noncontent patches...there was little point to grinding out anything at all since you'd be starting with the basic clothes on your back every patch regardless. What concerns me with this baby persistence is the fact folks will be able to earn enough aUEC over a reasonable time to buy the more expensive in game ships...what happens to them with the next wipe...are Ci¬G suddenly benevolent enough to add in game earned ships to a backers account as well as ones that were cash bought?

I doubt that very much.

I don't think Ci¬G have worked that one out, or in typical Ci¬G manner, they totally ignored the potential consequences since it doesn't affect them in the short term...or at all... since any loss is all dumped on the backers again. They were watching falling interest and backer numbers and had to do something without even a thought to the furore a few months down the line when Backer A logs in, wakes up in his CR monogrammed PJ's at Olisar and finds his hard earned fleet of ships and millions of aUEC gone once again. It's already bad enough as is...

In a further cash grab, Ci¬G are also touting the Imperator subscriber packages with the upcoming Carrack release..."You too could own a Carrack for 7 days for a mere $20 one off monthly sub..". Since I'm an Imperator sub who already owns a Carrack...does that mean I get a spare? I've already got a spare Prospector and Freelancer thanks to the ship loaner system.

It's going to be Carrack hell come 3.8.2 hitting live... considering they've sold more Carracks than they have Freelancers already. I don't know of any concierge or mid level backer who doesn't proport to having one... Now we'll have $20 casual subs all ramming eachother on Olisar with fleets of them :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I’m sure they’ll use wipes to keep the rl ship sales uneffected,it’s their only way to keep the money rolling in. It’s been an issue from the start as there’s no incentive to finish the game.
Exactly what's been happening up to now...but backers in general, especially the newer lot, are becoming a lot less tolerant of the persistent blathering and complete absence of any progress from Ci¬G more so than previously. It's getting time for Ci¬G to either put up or shut up...they know it too.

I've mentioned it previously...but I can sense Ci¬G winding up to pull a repeat of the 2016-2017 year long radio silence...I can feel it coming.

Last edited:
Exactly what's been happening up to now...but backers in general, especially the newer lot, are becoming a lot less tolerant of the persistent blathering and complete absence of any progress from Ci¬G more so than previously. It's getting time for Ci¬G to either put up or shut up...they know it too.

I've mentioned it previously...but I can sense Ci¬G winding up to pull a repeat of the 2016-2017 year long radio silence...I can feel it coming.
The last pillar talk wrapped up with “And that’s what coming this year”,so I think you’re right.

I’m sure they’ll use wipes to keep the rl ship sales uneffected,it’s their only way to keep the money rolling in. It’s been an issue from the start as there’s no incentive to finish the game.
You sure, ships were included in that new shiny persistence thing. According to CiG and assuming nothing goes wrong (a huge assumption) ships bought are ships to stay.

Top Bottom