Star Citizen Discussion Thread v11

Did you see him in his glider? As he clearly stated he is on the vehicle experience team, part of which is head tracking. Really - watch the video, go on you know you want to ;)

Edit: You only need to watch the first half - the second half is about other stuff (y)
I've already watched it.

Head-tracking is used when walking, driving, flying, and being stationary. Yogi isn't working on the flight model.

I thought it was interesting how they danced around the subject of the flight model for, whilst they spoke at length about the in-seat experience, where you look and so on, I couldn't help but think that they must be touching the flight model, or at least 'enhancing the feel of it'.... ...ahem.

In any event, the video was interesting and some of what was shown looked very cool, so let's just hope that they can eventually make an enjoyable game out of it.

As things stand, I'll stick with my four figure investment of $00.00 until I see the Steam and GoG reviews - I'm not trying to be too facetious here, it's just that I won't consider SC/SQ42 'released' until sold through another platform - and this may be a long wait.

It is kinda weird to hear them talking about QoL stuff to improve the flight experience while the meat and potatoes (flight model & UI) sit in the middle of that experience in a jumble. It's very CIG though ;)

(Not against them doing it, it's all good spaceship stuff. It's just funny ;))

In the vid Yogi says he's helping with head-tracking, not the flight-model.
Nah, he won't be changing the flight model, it was a tongue in cheek remark...but the work from the vehicle experience team have certainly made it a lot better from the cockpit side than it was...adding headtracking and the revised camera work they've put in certainly adds a lot to the experience.
;)

to be fair nope.
It is not even close of a real reentry effect that looks more like this:

not to mention that, at the reentry speed of SC ships there would be no heat effect since they are too slow.
I kinda miss the old re-entry effect...since it doesn't happen now albeit as naff and unrealistic as it was. The new stuff is better by far, so any improvement is good...be it 'realistic' or not.

Strange you posted an artists rendition of what looks like a flying saucer and then point to realism though :D

Last edited:
Strange you posted an artists rendition of what looks like a flying saucer and then point to realism though :D
An unusually flat re-entry capsule creating a plasma shockwave is still leagues more realistic than the “bits will fall off, then it explodes” that would (but doesn't) happen if any of the SC vehicles travelled fast enough (which they don't) to create re-entry effects (which they do anyway, somehow) because CI¬G chose to make every single component as wrong as possible. :p

An unusually flat re-entry capsule creating a plasma shockwave is still leagues more realistic than the “bits will fall off, then it explodes” that would (but doesn't) happen if any of the SC vehicles travelled fast enough (which they don't) to create re-entry effects (which they do anyway, somehow) because CI¬G chose to make every single component as wrong as possible. :p
I'm not going to argue about realism, especially not concerned with Star Citizen...I only mentioned it was cool when it was there and that I liked it :D

Ci¬G removed it for the reasons Stuart mentioned...the implementation was a bit naff. I've heard though that the old re-entry effect still happens if you manage to go fast enough in an appropriate ship..I don't have anything that fast to test it.

Last edited:
Two fan made videos of different games...only one of them isn't completely fictional :D

Both have good music though...

Some Star Citizen imaginarium nonsense from a no-name fanboi ...

And my favourite Elite fan made video of all time by one of the great explorers in E-D, Crusina Luachra ...created in total on the Xbox version of Elite quite a few years ago.

Last edited:
because there aren't real ones, for obvious reasons. But that image is a NASA artistic representation of a probe (is the heat disk of a mars probe not a flying saucer) reentry on mars and they try always to be the most realistic possible based on physical computer simulations.

the ship would be surrounded by a luminous plasma rather than some fancy flames shown in SC. It would be more like in the artistic images released by space-X.
But all this talking is usless since the reentry heat effect take place only for the craft that reenter at hypersonic speed since they have no engine to slow and use the atmosphere to brake. SC ships use engine and move very slow on the reentry so there wouldn't be any reentry effect at all.

because there aren't real ones, for obvious reasons. But that image is a NASA artistic representation of a probe (is the heat disk of a mars probe not a flying saucer) reentry on mars and they try always to be the most realistic possible based on physical computer simulations.

the ship would be surrounded by a luminous plasma rather than some fancy flames shown in SC. It would be more like in the artistic images released by space-X.
But all this talking is usless since the reentry heat effect take place only for the craft that reenter at hypersonic speed since they have no engine to slow and use the atmosphere to brake. SC ships use engine and move very slow on the reentry so there wouldn't be any reentry effect at all.
I get the realism thing...but playing Star Citizen is more like..

Last edited:
Top Bottom