Star Citizen Discussion Thread v11

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
In the video they were wondering if it was going to be SC-mobile .. at least the P2W spaceships would be less out of place in a mobile offering 🤔

Alex Battaglia continues his series of Star Citizen shill pieces via Digital Foundry

Alex Battaglia returns with the second part of his Star Citizen tech breakdown, based on a visit to CIG's UK development studio. In the first part, we looked at how the game scales on a galactic level - but this time we go closer. Much closer, right down to the particle level.

Again, 🤣 Humour.

I especially love the use of “traditional” to denote techniques that are now close to two decades old, apparently in an attempt to separate SC from “everything else” rather than make the distinction “what everyone is using now” vs. “what everyone used decades ago.”

Truly next-gen tech… if you've been in a coma since the 90s. Hmm, that would explain why some CI¬G would execs would like to frame it that way, I guess.

Last edited:
Personally, I found NMS in VR to be a frustrating experience. Much like Subnautica in VR, it was designed to be played from a "seated" position, and trying to play in roomscale was a symphany of annoyances. If I turn my body, I expect my "avatar" to mimic that movement. Instead, my "avatar" would apparently keep facing the original direction until I manually turned it, so the "hud" wouldn't be available, hand harvesting resources wouldn't work, movement would be jacked up, and so on.
I play on a swivel chair . It works for me. Any disconnect with the legs I tell myself I a playing as Ironside. (I am not joking .... I do get VR sick when I have a motion disconnect with my body but telli g myself I am in a motorised mobility device works for me)

:*(
CIG has a store doesn't it? 😘

You guys know, I actually thought about this comment and i'm not comfortable with it and I apologize. People aren't idiots for being lied to and buying what looks like an amazing game, that's on Roberts. Obviously at this point enough red flags are there people should definatly be doing research on what they are getting into. Especially when were talking about hundreds or thousands of monies. No flies on the early adopters who just wanted a great game and believed someone at their word.

Welp..the weather has wound itself up tonight...gusting to 103mph out there now...purple skies, lightning, hail :oops:

Pics!

Last edited:
Apologies if posted already. Just went through last weeks GuardFreq podcast (Friday 14th in Twitch) and noticed this bit about a new entity entering the fray. ...to develop a game in behalf of CIG in exchange for an undisclosed upfront sum of money...

Didn't they do something similar early on with Star Marine (or its precursor. ..?) whereby they outsourced all the FPS development to an external company, made an error with some scale and basically had to throw it all away as it couldn't be integrated back into the main 'game'?

I'm sure I can't recall the details, but I'm sure this is broadly what happened. I seem to recall CIG tried to blame the third party, but finally had to admit the error had been theirs, in no small part by maintaining no oversight of the work - as best memory serves.

History repeating itself. Again.

Last edited:

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
Didn't they do something similar early on with Star Marine (or its precursor. ..?) whereby they outsourced all the FPS development to an external company, made an error with some scale and basically had to throw it all away as it couldn't be integrated back into the main 'game'?

I'm sure I can't recall the details, but I'm sure this is broadly what happened. I seem to recall CIG tried to blame the third party, but finally had to admit the error had been theirs, in no small part by maintaining no oversight of the work - as best memory serves.

History repeating itself. Again.

The difference here, if I understand this correctly, is that in this case the 3rd party seems to be aiming to qualify for the British tax credits. Which, as far I am aware, can only be granted to companies who are the main designer / developer / manager of a title video game. A contractor that works for another company´s video game would therefore not qualify. I may be wrong though.

Last edited:
The difference here, if I understand this correctly, is that in this case the 3rd party seems to be aiming to qualify for the British tax credits...

My worry here is that it will end up as a shambles, just like the last time they tried it. I guess if it's a completely stand-alone game then there's a chance, bit if Roberts wants 'creative control', or if it's supposed to fit into SC/SQ42, then I suspect it'll end in the same old mess. If they're trying for some help with financing via tax-credits I suppose shouldn't surprise anyone.

I wonder if CR has been spurred into 'action' by FDev saying that they are planning to be a game-publisher as well as their own development company.

Whatever the outcome I'm sure Chris has pre-absolved himself.

My worry here is that it will end up as a shambles, just like the last time they tried it. I guess if it's a completely stand-alone game then there's a chance, bit if Roberts wants 'creative control', or if it's supposed to fit into SC/SQ42, then I suspect it'll end in the same old mess. If they're trying for some help with financing via tax-credits I suppose shouldn't surprise anyone.

No concern trolling please, only happy thoughts!

You guys know, I actually thought about this comment and i'm not comfortable with it and I apologize.

My dear Golem - I at least refuse your apology as there is nothing for you to apologize for.

Star Citizen - as it currently stands - is an entirely store based game. That's all it consists of, buy a shiny immersion chariot and hope you eventually get a game attached to it. Or you can watch YouTube videos of shiny immersion chariots and hope there is eventually a game attached to them. Or rather, the two games that backers are owed. Or you can just watch YouTube videos of development and ponder how on earth they are going to make any of this into well, anything.

And remember - Genuine Roberts even tried to make that into a store :D

My dear Golem - I at least refuse your apology as there is nothing for you to apologize for.

Star Citizen - as it currently stands - is an entirely store based game. That's all it consists of, buy a shiny immersion chariot and hope you eventually get a game attached to it. Or you can watch YouTube videos of shiny immersion chariots and hope there is eventually a game attached to them. Or rather, the two games that backers are owed. Or you can just watch YouTube videos of development and ponder how on earth they are going to make any of this into well, anything.

And remember - Genuine Roberts even tried to make that into a store :D

Yeah but I don't think it was fair of me to call excited gamers filled with hope idiots.

People know better now, but I thought about the people I've read here and how I don't consider them idiots. Maybe I'm just an idiot also. 😁

If I wasn't tight on money years ago when some friends told me about it I might have even bought in myself, but when I saw the prices something didn't feel right. I knew nothing about Chris Roberts at that time.

A couple years later I wondered humm I wonder what happened to that game, then I found this thread version 9 after googling around about it.

I am afraid after all the reading up, Roberts past, his involvement with failed movies leeching tax breaks, the shell companies... It really does feel scam to me. I see the studio struggling and the reality is MAYBE Roberts is that much of an asp, but maybe he's laughing all the way to the bank.

Last edited:
Yeah but I don't think it was fair of me to call excited gamers filled with hope idiots.

People know better now, but I thought about the people I've read here and how I don't consider them idiots. Maybe I'm just an idiot also. 😁

If I wasn't tight on money years ago when some friends told me about it I might have even bought in myself, but when I saw the prices something didn't feel right. I knew nothing about Chris Roberts at that time.

A couple years later I wondered humm I wonder what happened to that game, then I found this thread version 9 after googling around about it.

I am afraid after all the reading up, Roberts past, his involvement with failed movies leeching tax breaks, the shell companies... It really does feel scam to me. I see the studio struggling and the reality is MAYBE Roberts is that much of an asp, but maybe he's laughing all the way to the bank.

I think most of us have been idiots at times, believing the devs will deliver what they are saying they will, only to discover they either couldn't. or wouldn't. or in some cases, shouldn't (because sometimes things that sound cool, aren't so cool in reality).

Games like Spore have shown you should never believe the hype. NMS has shown that you can recover from barefaced lying to your customers, but that's a bit of an exception and most games do not recover like that. SC has shown you can make bank off people while constantly lying year after year and those who are invested will continue to believe whatever you tell them.

I think most of us have been idiots at times, believing the devs will deliver what they are saying they will, only to discover they either couldn't. or wouldn't. or in some cases, shouldn't (because sometimes things that sound cool, aren't so cool in reality).

Games like Spore have shown you should never believe the hype. NMS has shown that you can recover from barefaced lying to your customers, but that's a bit of an exception and most games do not recover like that. SC has shown you can make bank off people while constantly lying year after year and those who are invested will continue to believe whatever you tell them.

Ah Spore... It was amusing, and I remember being impressed looking at the galaxy map at the time in that game when it came out.

David Braben: Hold my beer.

I see the studio struggling and the reality is MAYBE Roberts is that much of an asp, but maybe he's laughing all the way to the bank.

Indeed - but I like to think of it this way.

Genuine Roberts raised a boatload of cash from people who believed he could change his ways and finally gather himself up to deliver the "Vision" he's been talking about for decades. He's now getting old and can comfortably retire in the mansion backers paid for. He's waffled and waved hands for nearly a decade and produced zero product. That is the "Vision". It's the only thing he is capable of.

That is his legacy.

Tickle tickle!

Oh my, just noticed this on the Spanish SC thread here.

I haven't seen such pathetic melee combat in a game in donkey's years. This is like some sort of student's asset flip game with basic animations only.

Also have a good laugh at bodies flipping out in totally unrealsitc ways. Lag and jankiness abounds. Players hovering in the air.

This is peak citizen!

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom