Star Citizen Discussion Thread v11

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
CCP showed pretty much once and for all that space legs ultimately just boils down to an unusually inefficient and slow UI layer.
Eve was is an Excel spreadsheet simulator though...not a space game ;)

I quite like the space legs...hate the trains and general buffoonery Chris Roberts lavished on forcing players to view his scenery instead of optimising SC to work well around the space legs. Space legs aren't a bad thing, wasting time on fluffing out environments instead of adding gameplay that utilises and integrates the feature successfully is Ci¬G's problem...or rather Chris Roberts problem. He simply can't stop 'directing' Star Citizen like a movie tied to it's visuals and let his managers and experienced devs do the game.

Walking up that ramp or getting on the elevator into your ship still gets me every time I play Star Citizen...walking around the ship never gets old...what does get old is the sheer time and effort spent on forcing a purely visual experience instead of a gameplay related one.

VYJlnSO.png

Last edited:
CCP showed pretty much once and for all that space legs ultimately just boils down to an unusually inefficient and slow UI layer.

Well in fairness again, zero gameplay loops. So yeah, not a template for storming success ;)

It probably is a truism that character + vehicles + absurdly massive online space is a scope creep too far, and nailing all 3 aspects is too much to expect right now.

I’m not sold on the idea that EVE’s offline cosmetic addition is the final word on it though ;)

Teams are going to keep chasing that star. Maybe one of them won’t burn up completely on re-entry ;)

Not CIG though. CIG has been on fire for years :D

Maybe. But this guy has served his time! 😄
Aye, I've been watching the test chat going on about that particular bug for a few days...personally, I have absolutely no sympathy for the criminal scum :D

As for gameplay bugs...there's thousands. Mining is kinda pointless in 3.9 since the scanners are borked with Ci¬G breaking them across the board trying to reduce the combat detection ranges to falsify a stealth mechanic that doesn't exist...and all to appease the pew crew. Unfortunately, the scanner mechanic is universal with the result that mining ships can no longer find rocks to mine outside of visual range.

I'm reduced to finding mineable deposits by eye as I can see them long before the scanner picks them up...they're slightly darker than surrounding scenic rocks viewed from flying at a certain altitude... but not being able to detect the deposits with scanners has made mining on the dark side of moons absolutely impossible. If you run out of daylight, you're done for the trip unless you exit atmo and fly around to the light side.

Edit: Just noticed that Spectrum is down...for me anyway. Can anyone else manage to get the rsi website or Spectrum to load? Even the SC launcher isn't logging in....never mind...working now :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Once you move to a level of detail in a space station that would make you expect people to be visible in the station, I think you need some form of legs. Firstly people give you perspective and if it was only npc's it would beg the question can I explore myself? SC got this right from the perspective of being able to move around the ship and get out and view it. The problem is what you do after that. You need a purpose to walking, so you might choose to walk and take the long route, but the short route must be there. A longer route might work the first time or on some sort of quest, but not in repetitive game play. To be fair ED has the same thing with Supercruise, but its always your choice to take the long "route".

If you travel to certain place's in SC you commit to a train ride with zero interaction, it's great the first few times and then its a bore fest. SC has these long corridors you spend ages running around doing nothing to get to your destination. Now imagine those same locations hunting down a criminal or a group of criminals or an alien infestation and suddenly it would be a different experience because there is effectively a quest element, but because the npc's are so woeful SC doesn't really have that. I also think because its not a released game there is no real sense of risk which might make the long walks or train journeys more exciting.

ED is set up quite well already, in space you have your SRV to get you close and allows walking to be minimised, so the only place you need to be careful is in the big stations, but very cleverly you have the roadways with vehicle traffic and they move quite quickly. The peer to peer networking is going to stop FD doing massive battles which might help to focus the legs experience into something claustrophobic. I am cautiously optimistic.

Walking up that ramp or getting on the elevator into your ship still gets me every time I play Star Citizen...walking around the ship never gets old...what does get old is the sheer time and effort spent on forcing a purely visual experience instead of a gameplay related one.
I agree, the concept definitely as itself isn't bad - it is actually pretty awesome idea as such if you think about the possibilities of genuine multicrew where players are actually persons onboard. Now combine that with real modular damage, high velocity projectiles punching through the hull...

Not entirely convinced that SC will ever really pull it through ever, though I certainly wish the best for the project (so I can buy it if it is ever ready and stable).

Now combine that with real modular damage, high velocity projectiles punching through the hull...
Hmm, not so sure - The Expanse did it pretty well in the books - a 10 minute fight with high velocity rounds exchanged ... followed by several weeks in docks getting those holes repaired. Even if SC added a 'repair the hull' minigame to go between the 'eat some food' and 'drink some water' games I don't know it would be great, as much as some people keep suggesting it.

I think it would end up like people have been describing SC's cities - nice to look at, fun the first few times - then try to avoid.

I agree, the concept definitely as itself isn't bad - it is actually pretty awesome idea as such if you think about the possibilities of genuine multicrew where players are actually persons onboard. Now combine that with real modular damage, high velocity projectiles punching through the hull...

Not entirely convinced that SC will ever really pull it through ever, though I certainly wish the best for the project (so I can buy it if it is ever ready and stable).
I spend quite a lot of my time in SC with a couple of friends just doing the multicrew thing...mining works pretty well in the Mole which requires a crew to operate...no mining controls from the cockpit needing a crew member to operate the mining cabs.

As much as I'm mostly a solo player, just sometimes I can see the wood through the trees with Star Citizen...not often these days since I've become more jaded and cynical in my approach to the project as time goes inexorably on...but the glimpses of the game behind all the fluff, desynced servers and a myriad of bugs makes those little moments when things are going right, you have a mate manning a mining cab and chatting away on the ship channel voip whilst scanning for mining deposits when the whole thing makes sense and brings up a bit of long lost nostalgia as to why I bought in to it in the first place all those years ago.

I was never a fan of Chris Roberts or his previous space opera efforts. I never wanted to be a fighter jock...to be Buck Rogers or Roger Ramjet killing the bad/good guys for fame/infamy or fun, never wanted to be some space bazillionaire watching my mega corporation take over the universe...but I still want to be that pilot of my own run down mining ship or small salvage vessel just doing the day to day stuff to get by. All of us can have dreams, right? :D

JWQAC3l.png

SypiNst.png

Last edited:
I quite like the space legs...hate the trains and general buffoonery Chris Roberts lavished on forcing players to view his scenery instead of optimising SC to work well around the space legs. Space legs aren't a bad thing, wasting time on fluffing out environments instead of adding gameplay that utilises and integrates the feature successfully is Ci¬G's problem...or rather Chris Roberts problem. He simply can't stop 'directing' Star Citizen like a movie tied to it's visuals and let his managers and experienced devs do the game.

That's the feeling I'm kind of getting from this free-fly week.

There really is a lot of potential there, and its the one thing Chris seems to 'get' in my mind is that in your sci-fi opera, the ships are merely vehicles taking you between each interaction. They should never be the be all and end all of the experience.

Or to put it simpler: Star Trek would be pretty dull if every episode was them on the bridge, and Han Solo wouldn't have been Han Solo if he'd stayed in the cockpit of the falcon for the entire trilogy.

Last edited:
Once you move to a level of detail in a space station that would make you expect people to be visible in the station, I think you need some form of legs. Firstly people give you perspective and if it was only npc's it would beg the question can I explore myself? SC got this right from the perspective of being able to move around the ship and get out and view it. The problem is what you do after that. You need a purpose to walking, so you might choose to walk and take the long route, but the short route must be there.

I'm fine with the purpose being to move around the ship and get out and view it. I play space games because I like spaceships, first and foremost. :D
X4 does the same in its own way, and has to tackle the same issues. Walking around your huge ship and the huge stations is all ooh and aah the first few times, but then it could easily get annoying if each and every time you had to move out of your ship to go talk to a trader, you were forced to walk down, out of the pad, and to the conveyor belts to reach that trader a few hundred meters away from you. And then back to your ship. So you can do it that way, but you might as well simply use the "transporter" room to instantly teleport to your destination, and teleport back to your ship. And if you even get tired of reaching the teleporter room on your way back, there's a keyboard shortcut that insta-teleport you back to your cockpit/bridge from wherever you are. Because they are aware (especially after the Rebirth experience) that legs are done for immersion and to make you feel you are a person and not a ship, but this should never get priority over simply being an enjoyable game. So a bit like with ED's telepresence, screw "realism" if it gets in the way of gameplay.

From what I could gather today simply trying to reach a ship and fly away from wherever I got out of bed, as of now Star Citizen is totally screwing gameplay if it gets in the way of "realism". Taking the train from Area18 to the hangars at dawn was admittedly impressive, and I'd be glad to just have the option of doing it whenever I want to feel more immersed in the world...but not having some option to skip it when I'm not in the mood or with enough time for it, that's quite a big no-no in my book of enjoyable games.

Anyway, I'd feel intellectually dishonest to only have showed the funny and wonky, without also showing the nice and pleasant:

ScreenShot0008.jpg

ScreenShot0009.jpg

ScreenShot0012.jpg

ScreenShot0014.jpg

ScreenShot0016.jpg

ScreenShot0017.jpg

SC's planetary surface tech is nothing short of exceptional. Its visuals in general are short of exceptional. Its travel times are nothing short. Its netcode is nothing.

Last edited:
SC's pretty environments aren't there for game design reasons. They are there so people who see the game on Twitch and elsewhere buy the game. Those areas make it look like a game exists.

They haven't done the MMO parts because they can't. And it doesn't matter to them because the goal is to continue taking in money, not creating a game.

Analyzing SC on the basis of game design misses the point. SC is designed to bring in a cash flow to pay Chris and his family a nice salary.

SC's pretty environments aren't there for game design reasons. They are there so people who see the game on Twitch and elsewhere buy the game. Those areas make it look like a game exists.

They haven't done the MMO parts because they can't. And it doesn't matter to them because the goal is to continue taking in money, not creating a game.

Analyzing SC on the basis of game design misses the point. SC is designed to bring in a cash flow to pay Chris and his family a nice salary.
Even more cynical than me...but a fair assumption...considering you don't play or have never bought in ;)

I sought out this thread to say that we are going to be eclipsed by Star Citizen. It's taken a while to get to where it is now (which is a buggy, shaky mess), but I genuinely believe that game will bury Elite if Next Era doesn't knock it out of the park. Not sure if I would play SC, because I don't agree with their business model at all, but the game is a technical achievement and if you kick it while it's down now for, among other things, technical issues (it's in "alpha") you're going to be very sore later. I'm not a person that will get on the hill of "my team" and die there, even I used to make jokes about Star Citizen never releasing, but it's coming. I love both, but Star Citizen is shaping up to be a true modern game, with all of the good and bad that goes with that.

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
I sought out this thread to say that we are going to be eclipsed by Star Citizen. It's taken a while to get to where it is now (which is a buggy, shaky mess), but I genuinely believe that game will bury Elite if Next Era doesn't knock it out of the park. Not sure if I would play SC, because I don't agree with their business model at all, but the game is a technical achievement and if you kick it while it's down now for, among other things, technical issues (it's in "alpha") you're going to be very sore later. I'm not a person that will get on the hill of "my team" and die there, even I used to make jokes about Star Citizen never releasing, but it's coming. I love both, but Star Citizen is shaping up to be a true modern game, with all of the good and bad that goes with that.
Honestly curious: Any particular reason why you seem to think that SC, which has been a “buggy, shaky mess” for 8-9 years of development with more than 300$ million in record funding, is all of a sudden going to stop being that buggy, shaky mess so to eclipse not just Elite but, well, anything really?

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom