Star Citizen Discussion Thread v11

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Like being able to play again at last after five days of server kick-outs, only to have to create a new character once again, and then almost going to die of dehidratation because somehow, it still saved the hunger/thirst state from the last session days ago. So I got out of my bed in my brand new character in Lorville with 10% of autonomy left, only to frantically travel around half the city in a metro system in desperate search of anyone wanting to sell me a can of whatever, then in a last gasp or rationality aiming for the hangars and taking my last chance at finding a drink among the stars, heading away at straight 90° in my Avenger Titan with peripheral vision starting to get blurry. From the map I see an orbital outpost with the description saying "travelers, stop, relax, other stuff", and immediately punch the QT to the place, not understanding where I'm supposed to bring my ship to land I see an hangar opening up for another departing ship and I wrestle my way in there, I hear something about freeing the occupied pad or incurring in some penalty but I don't care, I'm on 6% and everything is a blur, I start running desperately around a maze of corridors, stairs, lobbies, then finally I see it. A food kiosk. Salvation! I make a beeline for the place and grab the first drink I can see without even say "hi".

But I can't drink, because I still have my helmet on. So, on 5% of hope remaining I have to drop the can, open the mobiglas, go to my equipment, wait for it to load from some server, then select the helmet, unequip it, then save the change. And then, wait another few seconds for it to actually be applied and my helmet to disappear. I grab the can from the ground and I'm finally safe. So, I happily call back my ship (which had been impounded with a fine in the meantime) and walk to the pad enjoying my new chance at life.

And as soon as I get out of the elevator and walk to my ship, I start chocking. Because of course, after saving my life with a can of soda I didn't wear back my helmet. So I immediately run back to the safety of the elevator, open the mobiglas, go to my equipment, wait for it to load from some server, then select the helmet, equip it, then save the change. And then, wait another few seconds for it to actually be applied and my helmet to appear.

Fidelity.

Whoever thought of a mechanic like that, implemented in a way like that, and approved it after seeing it in action, needs to be accompanied outside of the city walls and left to wander the desert wastelands. I have some growing suspicion on who might have had a say in this.

At least, some views are still wonderful.

There's now a keybind option to remove/put on your helmet...saves all the faffing about in the mobiglas equipment manager. I bound it to the '#' key...since I don't use that for anything in game. One press takes helmet off...another puts it back on again :)

Well, if CIG have implemented it and there is a simple way to explain how all these possible scenarios will play out, i'm all ears.
I think you're stuck on the Orgs too much...all flying about in their Idris's with a group of frankly unbelievably subservient backers as crew...2 words...not happenin'.

It's fine dragging some mates along for a session or 2 or just playing as crew...as I quite enjoy doing either mining in the Mole or just manning a turret in one of my mates ships. It's all friendly...we usually split the mining proceeds but the turret work is free, it's all about just playing with mates...same as any other game... no matter how the Org buffoons and Ci¬G try to make it out to be something else entirely..

The whaley bois love their dreamcrafting... the worst offenders being former Eve-spreadsheet-online players...and they just can't leave it alone. The rest of us...as in the ones who found Eve about as entertaining as an enema... just do the simple stuff. Strange as that may seem...we're still the majority. The orgs kinda bribe a few newbies who don't have many ships with supplying them with the likes of a Caterpillar to fly around in to fund the Org with aUEC...some supply the better fighters and do the pew thing which is all fine and dandy...but when those passive shipless folks make enough creds to buy their own Caterpillars in game, I'm sure they won't be quite as content :)

Last edited:
But my point is that the thread consensus that group play will be a bunch of 12 year old e-sgts squeaking their orders our is false (as cited by the varied set of examples)

I haven’t really noticed a thread consensus on that front. It’s pretty much acknowledged that people can have group fun in SC (if often on a 'friends could have fun with a tin can and a stick' level ;))

I think you may be mis-interpreting the jokes about mopping etc. That stuff is aimed more at certain whales with bizarre expectations. IE the ones who’ve bought the ultimate ships in a collectionist haze, and now either worry that they don’t have any friends (and will have to pay for crew / gift accounts), or have grandiose expectations of an org springing up around them with implicit subservience.

Alongside CIG statements about early level grunt work to get going, these digs are aimed more at the P2W aspect, and the giant vacuum where the game mechanics should be, than at MMO group dynamics in general.

(Obviously Rexzilla becoming the poster boy for SC for a while, with his pseudo-milisim ranting, added some fuel to the fire there though ;))

As AA points out, the mechanics / roles / technical underpinnings for any kind of support play or multicrew roles are still incredibly limited at the moment. So it seems a bit weird to say that anything is set in stone about it when it’s still so ephemeral.

But people can still make their own fun, for sure ;)

Source: https://clips.twitch.tv/AntsyBeautifulMeerkatRalpherZ

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/grc46k/_/fry4wk1 Source: https://old.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/grc46k/50_retaliators_vs_javelin_captainrichard/fry4wk1/

Last edited:
I think you're stuck on the Orgs too much...all flying about in their Idris's with a group of frankly unbelievably subservient backers as crew...2 words...not happenin'.

It's fine dragging some mates along for a session or 2 or just playing as crew...as I quite enjoy doing either mining in the Mole or just manning a turret in one of my mates ships. It's all friendly...we usually split the mining proceeds but the turret work is free, it's all about just playing with mates...same as any other game... no matter how the Org buffoons and Ci¬G try to make it out to be something else entirely..

The whaley bois love their dreamcrafting... the worst offenders being former Eve-spreadsheet-online players...and they just can't leave it alone. The rest of us...as in the ones who found Eve about as entertaining as an enema... just do the simple stuff. Strange as that may seem...we're still the majority. The orgs kinda bribe a few newbies who don't have many ships with supplying them with the likes of a Caterpillar to fly around in to fund the Org with aUEC...some supply the better fighters and do the pew thing which is all fine and dandy...but when those passive shipless folks make enough creds to buy their own Caterpillars in game, I'm sure they won't be quite as content :)

Well, CIG and backers do tend to push the idea of Orgs with fleets and stuff and a lot of ships bought are alledgedly for the whales own "org" (current membership: 1).

As you may have noted, i specifically singled out you and your style of multicrew with friend as being something more realsitic and enjoyable.

But the dreamcrafters will dream.

Regardless, some of the stuff still crosses over in relation to my scenarios. What DOES happen if the ship owner logs out while in QT? What happens if the crew member logs out while they are on a planet or the owner flies off? I have a lot of "what if" type questions in this vein and how it works (or should work) and therefore how viable and useful it is to go jollying along in someone else's ship rather than just flying your own.

In terms of ED, i'd rather have me and a mate both flying Cobra Mk3s than 2 of us in a single Python or something. More fun to fly alongside another person rather than fly inside with them, especially if there isn't much to do inside the other ship most of the time.

Four months ago CIG tried 60 man PTU servers for a day, then backed off with no comment. So that's where they are.

I think you may be mis-interpreting the jokes about mopping etc. That stuff is aimed more at certain whales with bizarre expectations.
Let's not forget they didn't pull out these dreams from their darkest holes, but CIG actually sold them. And correct me if I'm wrong but as of today there's no official announcement these won't come from CIG yet.

Last edited:
Yup...people can sure make their own fun :)

s6iCDic.gif

Well, CIG and backers do tend to push the idea of Orgs with fleets and stuff and a lot of ships bought are alledgedly for the whales own "org" (current membership: 1).

As you may have noted, i specifically singled out you and your style of multicrew with friend as being something more realsitic and enjoyable.

But the dreamcrafters will dream.

Regardless, some of the stuff still crosses over in relation to my scenarios. What DOES happen if the ship owner logs out while in QT? What happens if the crew member logs out while they are on a planet or the owner flies off? I have a lot of "what if" type questions in this vein and how it works (or should work) and therefore how viable and useful it is to go jollying along in someone else's ship rather than just flying your own.

In terms of ED, i'd rather have me and a mate both flying Cobra Mk3s than 2 of us in a single Python or something. More fun to fly alongside another person rather than fly inside with them, especially if there isn't much to do inside the other ship most of the time.
I can tell you what happens if...for an instance...I as the ship owner log out whilst in QT since I've done it a few times with one or more mates on board...they fly the ship until they're bored/get to a port and park it up. They don't just magically vanish or anything, neither does the ship. If the ship is docked next time I log in, I spawn as usual from last port I flew from. Even if it gets destroyed or just left somewhere...I just spawn as normal then reclaim it from the ASOP terminal.

If I as the ship owner have someone log out from my ship in one of the ship beds...same applies. If it's stored in a port, they spawn as usual from the last port they flew from unless I'm flying the particular ship...then sometimes™...although currently it's highly unlikely that they may spawn back in the ship, assuming they've joined my party and server first from the main menu.

At the moment, you can only join friends on the particular server they're on...not their ship... even if they as crew logged out from it. It's an ownership thing which may change at some point since they've discussed allowing certain temporary and individual 'permissions' where I as a ship owner can permit one or more of my trusted friends to spawn one or any of my ships when they log in...I'm all for that since the ability to grant certain permissions will I assume, open up them being able to use my Caterpillar for their own trading...which as of now they can't due to the ship ownership thing, they can't buy or sell goods in my cargo ships even though they can fly them; or sell ore from the prospector or Mole if I lend them the ships to go mining....only I can sell the ore even if they mine it.

Last edited:
I can tell you what happens if...for an instance...I as the ship owner log out whilst in QT since I've done it a few times with one or more mates on board...they fly the ship until they're bored/get to a port and park it up. They don't just magically vanish or anything, neither does the ship. If the ship is docked next time I log in, I spawn as usual from last port I flew from. Even if it gets destroyed or just left somewhere...I just spawn as normal then reclaim it from the ASOP terminal.

If I as the ship owner have someone log out from my ship in one of the ship beds...same applies. If it's stored in a port, they spawn as usual from the last port they flew from unless I'm flying the particular ship...then sometimes™...although currently it's highly unlikely that they may spawn back in the ship, assuming they've joined my party and server first from the main menu.

At the moment, you can only join friends on the particular server they're on...not their ship... even if they as crew logged out from it. It's an ownership thing which may change at some point since they've discussed allowing certain temporary and individual 'permissions' where I as a ship owner can permit one or more of my trusted friends to spawn one or any of my ships when they log in...I'm all for that since the ability to grant certain permissions will I assume, open up them being able to use my Caterpillar for their own trading...which as of now they can't due to the ship ownership thing, they can't buy or sell goods in my cargo ships even though they can fly them; or sell ore from the prospector or Mole if I lend them the ships to go mining....only I can sell the ore even if they mine it.

Thank you. That's not too bad.

Let's not forget they didn't pull out these dreams from their darkest holes, but CIG actually sold them. And correct me if I'm wrong but as of today there's no official announcement these won't come from CIG yet.

I’m pretty sure the mopping stuff is a joke ;) (For players anyway... but you never know with Chris 'bathroom break gameplay' Roberts ;))

On actual multicrew stuff, yeah they’ve said some pretty expansive things:

How viable will it be to run a Polaris solo or with AI crew?
In a combat scenario, you will absolutely need a crew of some form to stand much of a chance. The main firepower comes from the Torpedo launch room, which has a station for a dedicated weapons officer. You can hire AI crew to man the stations, and bear in mind that they are not free and come with varying levels of skill. It’s generally not recommended to attempt to operate a capital ship with a skeleton crew if you expect to get into combat. Think about the USS Enterprise in Star Trek III: she typically operates with a crew of over 400. A crew of just 5 people can fly the Enterprise somewhere, but without a proper crew, she was punching far below her weight in battle. Generally speaking you will want to bring friends, hire AI crew, or both, because while you can operate with a skeleton crew, that doesn’t mean it’s a good idea. (source)

Other than the engineering post of the Retaliator, it only supports the pilot and a few gunners, the Polaris can let a whole strike team work together at maximum efficiency. Generally speaking, it fills a similar role, but on a much larger scale, and carries with it the presence of a capital ship as well as extra facilities that support the diverse skill-set of its crew which goes beyond piloting, gunnery, and the firing of torpedoes. The cargo hold can be used for mission-related supplies such as spacesuits, ammunition, repair supplies, medical equipment, and other things that make a sustained, more self-sufficient deployment possible without compromising its offensive capability, as well as prepare the Polaris for a broader range of contingencies than only torpedo delivery. (source)

• Enhanced Capital Ship Systems – In addition to the command and control systems we’ve already outlined, we’re going to expand capital ship functions! Lead a damage control team to fight fires and repair key systems during battle, control internal bulkheads to slow boarders and man a number of consoles, like navigation and engineering, that will make commanding a capital ship feel even more immersive.(source)

Who knows what the weapons officer will actually do regarding the torpedo room. Some citizens think that torpedoes will be manually loaded, but I’m not sure if that’s dreamcrafting or what.

They’ve intimated and stated all kinds of abilities for the various roles over the years, but it’s clear that none of it has really been tackled in earnest as yet. There’s the co-op exploration shown in the Constellation trailer

Source: https://www.youtube.com/embed/zG-82TakEqk

(Can never get enough of that one :D)

Or say, the bizarre MRI scanning, long-term diseases & leg hobbling of the proposed medical gameplay. With its tiered beds etc (thanks marketing team...)

And not forgetting the crazy 'Command & Control' stretch goal for fleet commanders...

Command and Control Center – Supervise the battle from the deck of your Idris or Destroyer (class TBA) with advanced C&C packages that allow you to tie all of your ships together and assume central command from the 3rd seat.

CIG have definitely intimated that big ship crewing, and general co-op support play, will be both fulsome, and pretty much vital for larger operations. It’s no wonder the citizens dream yeah ;)

Last edited:
...ouch... SC/SQ42 gets a mention in "14 Games That Seemingly Vanished"

Even I'd say that's a bit harsh, but some of the comments do make for amusing reading: "...Currently there is a working product that is very stable and has a huge playerbase...", "...I can definitely tell where the money is going for how complex it is. RSI puts out updated Roadmaps every other week it seems so we know where development is heading..."

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
I’m pretty sure the mopping stuff is a joke ;) (For players anyway... but you never know with Chris 'bathroom break gameplay' Roberts ;))

On actual multicrew stuff, yeah they’ve said some pretty expansive things:

Who knows what the weapons officer will actually do regarding the torpedo room. Some citizens think that torpedoes will be manually loaded, but I’m not sure if that’s dreamcrafting or what.

They’ve intimated and stated all kinds of abilities for the various roles over the years, but it’s clear that none of it has really been tackled in earnest as yet. There’s the co-op exploration shown in the Constellation trailer

Source: https://www.youtube.com/embed/zG-82TakEqk

(Can never get enough of that one :D)

Or say, the bizarre MRI scanning, long-term diseases & leg hobbling of the proposed medical gameplay. With its tiered beds etc (thanks marketing team...)

And not forgetting the crazy 'Command & Control' stretch goal for fleet commanders...

CIG have definitely intimated that big ship crewing, and general co-op support play, will be both fulsome, and pretty much vital for larger operations. It’s no wonder the citizens dream yeah ;)

The command & control gameplay (that stretch goal was unlocked in 2013 for a meager and rookie 13 million...) from capital ships was, as described at the time, one of the reasons I backed SC. Those were older, more naïve, happy times where anything was possible. The battle of Endor with hundreds of ships in an instance and Admiral Akhbar´s role always present in our easily impressionable imaginations. And CR´s aswell, no doubt.

Last edited:

Whats stopping the servants running off with ships though? Play along and raid the hangar and steal the good stuff would be very funny.

You are forgetting Captain Door Control!

What about walking up behind the pilot and bopping them on the head or something? Someone else can then shoot the guy waking up in his bed and its off for beer and sandwiches.

In five years time SC essentially be what multicrew is in ED right now as more and more stuff is denied :D

@Mole HD thanks for the helmet tip, at one point the equipment screen stopped working altogether so that was the only way I could reach my ship. Didn't go far after that anyway, the ship didn't have enough QT fuel to reach Hurston from Microtech and the refueling didn't work either. 😅

Went back inside, called the other free week ship (the Freelancer), got stuck in the elevator to reach it and after a while got disconnected from the server. But that was a thing for the better, since when I got in again in a station bed, performance was nearly doubled. Finally got to the Freelancer and headed for the Invictus Fleet above Hurston. On arrival I saw from a distance the fireworks so I closed in to watch the fabled Javelins, when a few km from the station the fireworks suddenly disappeared, and with them the fleet POI from the starmap, as well as the ships as I suppose.
And this I think ends my first "extended" try of the game. Three steps forward, two steps back, one to the side, a backflip, a stumble in a random direction.

You can clearly see there are the basis for a game here, and a rather competent/compelling at that, as well as you can clearly see where its potential gets completely wasted by asinine management and predatory marketing practises. With a proper focus on making it a smooth gaming experience (and I don't mean only performance: the walking around tied to physical body movements and 3/4 of the interaction menus need to get shot out the nearest airlock and never to be seen again), as well as an actual intention of ever delivering a product (something that would go against their current best interests, if their fundings data are anything to be taken seriously), I have no doubt that it could become a game I'd enjoy and well worth the money a well made game should cost (that is, 50-60 €/£/$. Not 150, not 300, not 2000, not 35000).

A final note of absolute merit to Star Citizen and its UI though. After all these years and with all the emphasis it puts on its FA Off gameplay, how a game like ED could still lack something so neat and simple as SC's decoupled flight lead indicator, is beyond me. It's a must have.

EDIT - a couple of parting screenshots because I'm just a sucker for nice visuals. New Babbage and its Metroloop are admittedly an impressive sight.

ScreenShot0023.jpg

ScreenShot0026.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom