Star Citizen Discussion Thread v11

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
It all depends on the tech they can assemble. We are totally in the dark on SQ54/42! We see a schedule that reflects SC, which everyone says is 100% Correct. Yet, we have caves, ships that are not on the schedule, etc. that c

An interesting way to end a paragraph. Were you referring to Chris Roberts?

Last edited:
I have to wonder at this point if it'll ever 'release' in a traditional sense. I think at this point it's far more likely SC will limp along on its current trajectory, releasing a few significant patches/additions a year and continuing to push macrotransactions. It's never going to be declared finished and review-ready, let's say that. It makes no sense for CIG to do so.

The game I'm less sure about is Squadron 42. That's a bit harder to 'fake' a launch, as it's supposed to be a single player game with a defined beginning, middle, and end. You can't exactly release half of Wing Commander or Freelancer and hang a mission accomplished banner. Either they release a polished and fun SQ42 soon and shut down all the critics, or they release a broken, incomplete, and/or unsatisfactory flagship game years from now and everyone will point and laugh like Nelson on the Simpsons. Not much middle ground.
From my perspective, I look on the PU in the same way. It'll never have a traditional release except for the renaming of version numbers. We can play it now sampling the various elements of the (perhaps) more complete version it will become as it progresses through those stages, it won't change that format at all. I'm quite content to watch and take part as it progresses and play the various iterations of perhaps a more complete experience that it may eventually become.

Sqn 42 (which I've never bought into) is the issue. My opinion is that it'll produce nothing more than a lukewarm or lacklustre response when released. Chris Roberts wanted to produce a movie with interactive bits in it...which is exactly what Sqn 42 is...he has no understanding of the lack of marketing potential for such a project since his understanding of the games industry is based on his fascination with his Wing Commander experiences.

Added to that is the customer base he's so reliant on to make it the success he needs it to be, and neither he nor the more rabid backers will accept that in such a niche market, more than 90% of the copies of Sqn 42 that will ever be purchased have already been paid for...it's technical debt and nothing more.

Chris Roberts is concentrating and focusing his efforts on the wrong element of Star Citizen...Sqn 42 will never be a flagship title by any stretch of the imagination. If Ci¬G reprioritised their efforts toward the PU and developing that as their flagship product, we might have a common ground to work from.

Last edited:
People in here seem to forget that people who make their money, and have the ability to buy ships for $1,000, are also smart enough not to throw away their money...

The trouble with that line of reasoning is you're making the assumption that everyone who bought a $1000+ ship has the income to support it. You know what credit cards are right?

Also, I've met many erm, I'll be kind, "less than intelligent" or "iq-challenged" folks who have plenty of disposable income. Wallet size does not always = Intelligence, in the same way that owning a Ferrari does not suddenly make you a better or more competent driver than someone who owns a Skoda 5-speed.

Not surprising there is a big crossover between SC and ED players, although i would dare to suggest that ED players are a bit more realistic about what SC might actually be than others.

On the other hand, i have seen the odd (ex)-ED player proclaim SC is going to be the game that they thought ED was going to be.

One wonders if such people will ever learn. I mean, CR aside, CIG aside, put everything else aside, but will they learn the game that exists in their head will not, and can never not, exist.
You clearly don't understand dreams development!

From my perspective, I look on the PU in the same way. It'll never have a traditional release except for the renaming of version numbers. We can play it now sampling the various elements of the (perhaps) more complete version it will become as it progresses through those stages, it won't change that format at all. I'm quite content to watch and take part as it progresses and play the various iterations of perhaps a more complete experience that it may eventually become.

Sqn 42 (which I've never bought into) is the issue. My opinion is that it'll produce nothing more than a lukewarm or lacklustre response when released. Chris Roberts wanted to produce a movie with interactive bits in it...which is exactly what Sqn 42 is...he has no understanding of the lack of marketing potential for such a project since his understanding of the games industry is based on his fascination with his Wing Commander experiences.

Added to that is the customer base he's so reliant on to make it the success he needs it to be, and neither he nor the more rabid backers will accept that in such a niche market, more than 90% of the copies of Sqn 42 that will ever be purchased have already been paid for...it's technical debt and nothing more.

Chris Roberts is concentrating and focusing his efforts on the wrong element of Star Citizen...Sqn 42 will never be a flagship title by any stretch of the imagination. If Ci¬G reprioritised their efforts toward the PU and developing that as their flagship product, we might have a common ground to work from.

Man, I can only say two things to you:

Source: https://youtu.be/l723rDCC2uo

and:

Source: https://youtu.be/wgpytjlW5wU

The trouble with that line of reasoning is you're making the assumption that everyone who bought a $1000+ ship has the income to support it. You know what credit cards are right?

Also, I've met many erm, I'll be kind, "less than intelligent" or "iq-challenged" folks who have plenty of disposable income. Wallet size does not always = Intelligence, in the same way that owning a Ferrari does not suddenly make you a better or more competent driver than someone who owns a Skoda 5-speed.

True, But, a Ferrari does add +2 To looks....

During the Expo I decided to login to Star Citizen. My avatar awoke in bed, stood up and ... died. This happened a couple more times so I went to their volunteer help-desk forum and was told the HAB my avatar was in was bugged and had no atmosphere.

A quarter of a BILLION dollars in crowd-funding and what do we get? "Looky at the SNOW!". I would gladly trade snowstorms for stable gameplay. o7

True, But, a Ferrari does add +2 To looks....
Ahh...but a Harley adds +5 to charisma ;)

We're on the red and white springer in the background..

xpNr8pa.jpg

If..and that's a big IF Ci¬G aren't distracting and evading issues by offering Sqn42 as a priority for development resources as purely an excuse...in reality we should be seeing the required components of it's development feeding back to the PU...we're not.

Things like a working Ai that displays more intelligence than being non interactive moving scenery.
An FPS module that is slightly more than being poorer by some significant margin than any other FPS title currently and previously marketed over the last 10 years...
Non combat NPC ships...namely ship traffic around ports/stations.
A functional flight model...
A stable physics engine eliminating clipping through scenery, planets and ships...not only by players but also NPC's...

None of these very basic requirements are apparent or present in the PU...there's more, obviously... it's a long, long list.

As for the 'revelation' that they now have Ai moving around, completing tasks, flying ships as they claimed during the Citcon demo....I could do all that as a player (with much better results) in 2001 with a simple mission editor for Operation Flashpoint (as FTR reported) It's not an accomplishment for a major development studio.

All these things...and much, much more... are a prerequisite for a single player campaign driven game, none of it is present.

Just in case you wondered what a proper FPS single player mission should look like when it's done properly...

Last edited:
Not surprising there is a big crossover between SC and ED players, although i would dare to suggest that ED players are a bit more realistic about what SC might actually be than others.

Ironically, when I backed Squadron 42/Star Citizen way back in 2012, my plan was to play that game, since it would be released in completed form in 2014, while waiting for Elite Dangerous' proverbial "ten year plan" to develop. Six years later, learning about Chris Roberts' shell game companies would have me seeking for a refund, Elite Dangerous having become the game I was playing while I waited (and waited... and waited...) for the game I'd backed to actually be made.

Jenner

I wish I was English like my hero Tj.
Ironically, when I backed Squadron 42/Star Citizen way back in 2012, my plan was to play that game, since it would be released in completed form in 2014, while waiting for Elite Dangerous' proverbial "ten year plan" to develop. Six years later, learning about Chris Roberts' shell game companies would have me seeking for a refund, Elite Dangerous having become the game I was playing while I waited (and waited... and waited...) for the game I'd backed to actually be made.

Ditto here. I recall posting on this forum pre-alpha that I imagined I'd be playing Elite when I felt like exploring the galaxy and SC when I felt like playing as Luke Slywalker. I grew up on Wing Commander and Privateer so I was the target audience for Chris' original pitch.

Earlier this year there was an event that resulted in a prominent PvPer being banned from the forum. The resultant backlash had a large number of them swearing off ED and promoting SC. They changed all their information to put down ED and said there were better games people should be playing. Funnily enough most of them are playing ED again but SC can have them.

Or is bought out.
There you go! Told you EA and MS were just waiting to snap up this amazing property!

Nope, It’s called FUD for a reason that is spread around about CIG. Based in truth, absolutely. Have the made mistakes, absolutely, are they still making mistakes, absolutely. But, its called forward progress. Every company goes through times of mistakes...

Why do you keep calling the next patch a game changer or finally be 90 days, etc. Let it die.... Rehashing those conversations pieces is like discussing the 2012 kickstarter goals. Pointless. They lied, cheated, etc... the original backer... Excellent... Take your refund and move on.... Since then, with their new Scope of work, they are brining in record $$$, as people are seeing the game turn out to be what they want....

People in here seem to forget that people who make their money, and have the ability to buy ships for $1,000, are also smart enough not to throw away their money...

So, its FUD when people say they don't trust CIG because CR said SQ42 was almost ready in 2014, just needed a little polish, and then of course that turned out to complete and utter lies?

Earlier this year there was an event that resulted in a prominent PvPer being banned from the forum. The resultant backlash had a large number of them swearing off ED and promoting SC. They changed all their information to put down ED and said there were better games people should be playing. Funnily enough most of them are playing ED again but SC can have them.

Funnily enough, i've been telling those PvPers that SC might offer the experience they want better than ED. The smaller gameplay area and limited number of locations makes it a much better game for PvP opportunities.

And i'm sure sovapid will agree, for harvesting salt, its perfect, since there are no modes or cough PvP slider.

Funnily enough, i've been telling those PvPers that SC might offer the experience they want better than ED. The smaller gameplay area and limited number of locations makes it a much better game for PvP opportunities.

And i'm sure sovapid will agree, for harvesting salt, its perfect, since there are no modes or cough PvP slider.
Trouble is...it's too easy to avoid the PvP types out to upset someone's day even in such a small playing area. With 50 players on a server, there may be less than 10 with an inclination for pew, they're mostly flying solo or in pairs...and those of us who are experienced cargo pilots already know where they are. Some of them wrongly assume we always have to go through the fixed QT exit bottlenecks or always land at specific land bases for a particular type of cargo... which isn't what happens at all...So they hang around in space or pick off random newbies who drop onto planets or fly in straight QT lines through inexperience while the potential pew crew remain wondering where the rest of us are... until they eventually get bored and move to another server.

If there's a PvP ganker type hanging around anywhere I'm going, you can almost guarantee I've already spotted him and altering my plans...thanks to having experience in E-D for that one. Every radar blip is a threat be it red or green...no exceptions. It's not exactly difficult spotting them...traders don't fly a Pirate Gladius or fighter build and don't hang around outside the no fire zone of a landing area. If I do spot one, even flying random non QT paths between landing areas on a planet since a few seem to think it makes them invisible or appear non threatening, I'll head back off to the nearest ship spawn point instead of approaching, return in something with teeth and missile spam them till they get bored, explode or I high tail it out again.

The more organised gankers will work in teams, all in different areas looking for potential victims...one will spot a lone cargo ship and via Discord they'll organise and all head off to ambush it and watch it explode...once again, they're not difficult to spot or avoid. They have to guess roughly where I'm headed once I enter QT, I don't have to guess where they think I'm headed. It's just a matter of cancelling the jump, re-routing a few times or just sit somewhere in random space out of QT or head to an R&R stop, go make a coffee and type in the chat for a few minutes.

I'm not much of a combat pilot at all...but I'm pretty good as a cargo ship pilot...in all the time I've played SC, I've only been exploded by another human pilot if I've gone looking for a fight...and always because I'm fairly crap, it's just not my thing.

The US servers have more organised PvP than EU servers as a rule. If I'm looking for pew related stuff as I sometimes do, I pop on there.

Last edited:
LMAO!!! Look at all the hate monkeys dancing around!

Yet, CIG keeps moving forward, slowly, but forward!
You really do love calling people names, don't you? I guess it's all that's left when CI¬G fails to move forward every time they try.

Nope, It’s called FUD for a reason that is spread around about CIG.
No, that's not what FUD is. FUD is specifically when you are trying to ensure that customers don't leave for a competing product by painting a vague scary scenario of misery if they did. Like almost every other computer-related term, this is just something that citizens like to throw around without actually knowing what it means. The only FUD ever connected to SC is the one backers occasionally bring out where you must keep pledging or bad things happen. Everything else is just plain old criticism. They're not the same thing.

It is especially not FUD when it's true.

But, its called forward progress. Every company goes through times of mistakes...
CI¬G's has been stuck in that phase for 8 years. That is not forward progress. CI¬G's culture of unapproval and “refactoring” is well-known and well-established, and it has kept them in the same place for years now. They keep adding new things — especially new art (that then gets rejected and reworked) — but more is not forward; it's just expansion along all other axes and making the whole thing more unwieldy to move around at all.

Why do you keep calling the next patch a game changer or finally be 90 days, etc.
He's not. The backers are. There's a reason why “version [current +1] is the jesus patch” has become something of an SC meme over the last five years. It's something both CI¬G and the citizens keep hyping for every major build, but which keeps failing to materialise as core features keep getting removed from or bumped on the release schedule in favour of just adding more frivolous nonsense.

Non sequitur. Being able to buy an expensive ship has very little to do with being smart. Quite the opposite.

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom