Star Citizen Discussion Thread v11

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Lots of pertinent questions...the orgs feed on the same cow manure as the basic $50 backer there...the dreaming of Chris Roberts and nothing more tangible than that so they have no real idea or influence any more than I do (besides $ funding) as to how Star Citizen will play out.

Chris Roberts certainly likes the amount the orgs spend in Star Citizen terms...they are buying initial game packages in the Legatus level ($35,000) and then multiples thereof. Every new major concept of a capital class or major merchant class ship is also hoovered up in multiples, I know of even some mid to high tier orgs who have up to 10 Caterpillars as a base level (to be gifted as loyal slave awards), several Orion class mining ships, several Hull D and E class cargo carriers and entire fleets of support ships to dish out to members as an incentive to join in with their utter megalomania.

As for losing actual $ playing SC...nope...what you spend remains and cannot be lost through gameplay...at least as it stands. You can lose earned in game aUEC or cargo bought with that aUEC due to game bugs and server crashes...we all suffer it regularly.

We'll all lose the real cash we've put into SC if it suddenly fails of course...part of the risk.

Thanks for the clarification- some of that makes me a bit scared and want to hug a cushion though. Did these orgs buy land as well?

Thanks for the clarification- some of that makes me a bit scared and want to hug a cushion though. Did these orgs buy land as well?
I haven't heard much about the land sale thing...assumed it had died a death. Saying that, I've no doubt they did or will buy it up if it's still current or reintroduced...all part of the dream :rolleyes:

I haven't heard much about the land sale thing...assumed it had died a death. Saying that, I've no doubt they did or will buy it up if it's still current or reintroduced...all part of the dream :rolleyes:

I honestly had no idea how much monetisation was sloshing about and that 'whales' had clubbed together. Are these orgs seen in these 'meet Chris' dinners?

I honestly had no idea how much monetisation was sloshing about and that 'whales' had clubbed together. Are these orgs seen in these 'meet Chris' dinners?
Front and centre...considering the ticket prices are beyond what most folks would pay for a season ticket to watch their favourite sport...

The "Landing Claims" game mechanics were - like Server Meshing - previously on the roadmap for Q4 2018, and were moved to 3.6 at the same time(then removed completely in a later roadmap update):
laUcvCJ.jpg

It's a common misconception that individual whales are the ones keeping Star Citizen afloat...bar being close to ridiculously rich...no one individual could possibly be contributing that much to the overall numbers represented in the sales figures after a concept sale. It's the collection of several whales forming the orgs and combining buying power as a group...even if 5 whales group together, each initially buying a Legatus package at 35k...then all grouping together to buy individual concept ships at 3k per time to add to their org pool of ships...you can see where the funds are coming from.

The average individual whale backer (10k+) will perhaps save over the course of an entire year to buy up a new concept ship in the $1500-$3000 mark...or spend on the mid class regularly appearing ship concepts at $200-$400 perhaps once or twice a year. Most of those individual whales though do what I and many other low tier concierge backers do...simply reshuffle the bought ships around, melt them to store credit and buy new or interesting ships using that credit or use existing ships contained in a game package to CCU upgrade at a fraction of the straight up buying cost or use additional store credit in their accounts through melting ships instead of real cash.

Everyone individually has a purchasing limit...the line in the sand amount they can't or won't go beyond. Orgs do not.

Last edited:
But these "orgs" exists outside the game, there's no "Org Menu" ingame nor guild management, and ownership of ships is for a single account ... and max players per server is 50... clearly I must misunderstand something.
There's an entire acreage on Spectrum dedicated to org management and recruitment and one of the aims of Star Citizen is to have a fully integrated version of Spectrum in game...though a lot of the current recruitment is done in game with new or potential members being directed to org web pages, Discord servers and the like. I get a surprising amount of invites...since I play regularly and already have a few ships of my own... personally, I'd rather shove live wasps up my bum than join any org...irrelevant of it's aims or intended playstyle.

Another reason for the constant bleating by the orgs for higher player caps on the servers...and for Ci¬G recently attempting to increase it. As for the ship ownership...like guilds in any game, it's made up of a combination of individual accounts all adding to a pooled resource controlled by a few. The org leaders combine their assets, other members contribute adding in game earnings to the org pool...I'm sure there are more developed org tools on the horizon somewhere, of that I have no doubt.

Last edited:
I can only assume it's on new backer accounts since I started with my usual amount with 3.8 as did the majority of folks I asked. I was assuming it was a bug with some backer accounts starting with 3.8 since every game package starts with in game UEC attached. I noticed that I can't purchase more UEC to add to my acccount and have it immediately available in game any longer...I tried topping up some with store credit after being robbed by server errors to no avail. There was also strange and random starting aUEC amounts during PTU which didn't reflect what anyone actually had tied to their accounts...sometimes even half of what was tied to the account...which makes me think it's a bug rather than policy.

If it is indeed a new policy from Ci¬G...it'll come back and bite them. Dumping new players into the PU with zero credits even when they have a basic 5,000 UEC tied to their pledges isn't a great idea.

I see a lot of long term backers handing out aUEC to new guys, the same as I do...lending ships capable of doing box deliveries if the newbies bought in with a Mustang etc..but taking away a basic amount of starting aUEC leaves new folks without the basic ability to buy even some armour to start off, pay for fuel or fines or pay for expediting fees after a game crash loses their ship.

Anyway, it's a pretty poor decision from whoever made it... if it is a conscious decision rather than a bug or account error.
I went digging and found this:

3.8 LIVE - DEFAULT STARTING AUEC
With the update to our LIVE alpha servers to patch 3.8, the current default starting aUEC for all players has been set to be equal to the amount of UEC that is displayed on your RSI account. This is a change from previous patches and so players may notice a lower starting amount than normal. Keep in mind that any UEC that is contained within a game package is not included in your RSI account's UEC total, as that amount is intended to be added upon the live release of the game.​
Check out our Currencies in Star Citizen guide for details on how to find your RSI account's bonus starting aUEC.
Additionally, to help you start building a balance of funds, these articles may help point you in the right direction to get going:
If you don't have a ship, you can always group up with friends or other players!​

Making money is 3.8 has gotten a lot easier. I did lose 200K to trading before I stopped trading this go around, and focused on other efforts. Renting ships in game, or buying them has really opened up a lot of game play.

3 of us created our own Syndicate (Org) and banded together to amass money, but, one of us has been offline this month due to moving So far we have:

upgraded my 600i: Shields, QD, Weapons, remote turrets
upgraded other guys Cutlass Black, same as 600i
Bought two Nox’s in game
Rented the Prospector for several days.

In 3.8 mining is pulling in some serious money. With two Prospectors with upgraded mining heads we can break all rocks we discovered so far.

Next up, maybe buy some M50’s to race around? They go for 700K each.

They can start at the bottom, mopping the floor of some whale's Idris.
Only one problem, the whales who own an Idris have no ship for anyone to mop the floor on...I could always give them a job making tea on my Mole I suppose... ;)

It was nice to see tonight that most of the backers with aUEC were helping the newer guys who had nothing...donating cash, helping out with missions and ships or inviting them along to share missions for a payout, dropping weapons and multi-tools for them to use. Ci¬G might be taking the mick with hampering newbies the way they have but others are stepping up to the plate.

Sorry, rewind for the dumb guy:

You can stockpile money? And you have groups forming Eve like powers before the game is made / launched?

Only the richest and stupidest players would be/are stock piling UEC. Even by Star Citizen standards it is terrible what you get for your money.

I went mining off and on all day to make money for ship upgrades, maybe 5 hours total. I made just about 250k credits. If I wanted to buy them, it would cost $250.

A better strategy which is/does happen is people buy extra ships with the intention to sell them in game for in game credits once/if the game goes live.

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
Only the richest and stupidest players would be/are stock piling UEC. Even by Star Citizen standards it is terrible what you get for your money.

I went mining off and on all day to make money for ship upgrades, maybe 5 hours total. I made just about 250k credits. If I wanted to buy them, it would cost $250.

A better strategy which is/does happen is people buy extra ships with the intention to sell them in game for in game credits once/if the game goes live.
Yeah, ships are the de facto crypto currency of SC. But direct purchase of either credits or ships is just 2 sides of the same coin (unlimited credit hoarding) and whose relative value or cost in real money will be tweaked by CIG as necessary when necessary. Ie if ship sales stopped (haha) direct credit purchase could become more affordable or gain in game purchasing power etc.

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom