Star Citizen Discussion Thread v11

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
While the team is very close to finalizing the 4.1 column, and fully aware of the Gibbening, we're going to need just a little bit more time before we add it to the Roadmap. You can expect to see more information coming very soon.

The 'Gibbening' they're on about is the release of the Carrack to the peasantry...SC slang as in "Gib Carrack!" Happens when every ship is released to flyable...

Most of my cows are inside in this weather... serves 2 purposes...the cows don't get cold and neither do I when I go feed them :D You can normally spot dairy herds since they're predominantly Holstein-Friesian (black and white cows) which make up around 90% of the UK's dairy stock. I have a mix of Herefords and shorthorns (brownish cows) which are breeding and beef stock. I only have 2 dairy cows...which are a Hereford-Jersey cross for my own milk... plus 8 hens, 4 ducks and 2 geese roaming around the place for the eggs.

Bringing in silage...which is what you saw when you moved in is winter feed, the grass in the fields has little nutritional value during most of winter...plus the pastures get a chance to recover and be rotated. They have hay and supplements like cattle cake and rough mix too but the silage is the bulk of winter feeding.

If you have sheep, you can fire them out into winter pasture since sheep can graze shorter, poorer grass than cattle can....hence why you see sheep in the fields around you during winter. They'll probably be there until end of March/beginning of April and lambing season before the sheep go back to the hills...then the cows will reappear once the grass gets a late spring burst of growth....or the field will be ploughed for barley, wheat, potatoes, turnips or some other cash crop like oilseed r.a.p.e (really with the net nanny?)... depending on if the farm is mixed arable or not...or could even be left fallow for a year during rotation cycles.

You'll have to hope he doesn't use the field nearest to you when he separates the cows from the calves if it's a dairy herd...gets kinda noisy :D
Thanks, I'm feeling unusually educated 🙂

I'm pretty sure the cows weren't dairy, sounds more likely they were a small herd (10 at most?) stocky looking brown cream and some black cows, so maybe breeding and beef as you mentioned.

The silage collection was amazing - wasn't the old (slower?) machine wrapping the bales, it was a small modern trailer attachment that almost instantly wrapped the bales in black plastic with a whirring noise. They turned up and loaded them all really quickly onto other vehicles over a few days. Neighbour seemed to think it wasnt the farmer but contracted out to someone with the best gear.

Was quite fascinating.

(y)

Thanks, I'm feeling unusually educated 🙂

I'm pretty sure the cows weren't dairy, sounds more likely they were a small herd (10 at most?) stocky looking brown cream and some black cows, so maybe breeding and beef as you mentioned.

The silage collection was amazing - wasn't the old (slower?) machine wrapping the bales, it was a small modern trailer attachment that almost instantly wrapped the bales in black plastic with a whirring noise. They turned up and loaded them all really quickly onto other vehicles over a few days. Neighbour seemed to think it wasnt the farmer but contracted out to someone with the best gear.

Was quite fascinating.

(y)
Aye..I have 2 balers...a hay/silage square baler and a silage round baler/wrapper...as do most livestock farmers these days. There are combi ones that do both...but way too expensive for me.

There are larger concern commercial farms on the mainland who rent out combine harvesters/crop sprayers and a variety of expensive equipment along with operators...on the island here, we're isolated and strictly small time so we tend to just help each other out. When I'm doing silage or hay I cut and bale my neighbours silage or hay too since she doesn't have the machinery, same all over the island...farming has it's busy times throughout the year for all of us so we all pitch in with equipment and labour. Old fashioned farming really...and the way I was brought up... since most of us on the island are subsistence crofters more than commercial farmers.

My silage round baler/wrapper...

RwJ3AKZ.jpg

and my square baler...

KFDyMrI.jpg

Last edited:
My dear GT - would you be kind enough to post a similar SQ42 Roadmap Update from say, nine years ago for direct comparison?

I'm getting older, and my memory is failing, and there simply has to be absolutely oodles of things that CI-G has delivered upon that I've simply forgotten.

There was no roadmap like this back then. Those roadmaps only came into existence a couple of years ago.

9 years ago CR was saying 2-3 years would be ideal, any longer and it would become stale.

9 years ago CR was saying 2-3 years would be ideal, any longer and it would become stale.

You just don't understand stale development!

scstart.png

We are in the very earliest stages of development. We are considering the possibilities of asymmetric ship design, and groundbreakingly allowing for fitting player avatar volumetrics in ship meshes.

Last edited:
My dear GT - would you be kind enough to post a similar SQ42 Roadmap Update from say, nine years ago for direct comparison?

I'm getting older, and my memory is failing, and there simply has to be absolutely oodles of things that CI-G has delivered upon that I've simply forgotten.
These are the oldest roadmap summary images from Odysseus-Ithaca, for SC and Sq42 respectively:
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/8c4tv4 Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/8c4tv4/star_citizen_roadmap_update_20180413_8000x4880/

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/a8nr5g Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/a8nr5g/squadron_42_roadmap_update_20181220/

Aye..I have 2 balers...a hay/silage square baler and a silage round baler/wrapper...as do most livestock farmers these days. There are combi ones that do both...but way too expensive for me...

I would like to think that being on an island your equipment is safe(r) from theft - none of that gear looks cheap!

Then there's this classic...

Wow. That's a metric tonne load of parallel activities with seemingly little or no coherent convergence. Back in the day as a programme manager, I'd have been very 'interested' if I was presented with this 'roadmap' by one of my project managers, as to me it looks like a list of guesstimated tasks hewn from the finest madeupium.

But then, what would I know!?

<chuckles quietly whilst looking heavenwards>

Last edited:
I would like to think that being on an island your equipment is safe(r) from theft - none of that gear looks cheap!
Zero crime here of any description...we don't even have a police presence on the island. They turn up every so often from the main island to check gun licenses, but that's about it..we also know when they're coming, the ferry crew phone ahead :)

As for the nicking of stuff by folks not from the island...they can't get it off the island, or assuming they manage to actually get it on the ferry with a local crew who notice things like trailers or vans full of gear...they would be met by the local constabulary as they disembarked 3 hours later at Kirkwall. There's only around 350 full time residents here, the population jumps to around 380 with summer visitors who own holiday homes or come up camping and suchlike...basically, we all know eachother.

We even have a community centre for the kids which is open 24/7..it's full of expensive laptops, Xbox's, wide screen TV's and sound systems. There's no adult presence since it was designed as a drop in centre where they could do their own thing. The kids leave the place tidy, nothing is ever broken or trashed and nothing is ever nicked...how many areas of anywhere else could you have that facility? I haven't locked my door since I've been here and the keys are left in the cars and vehicles. Even if I leave the island to go shopping over in Kirkwall, the house is always open...no need to lock anything at all :)

It's a very pleasant and stress free place to live...nice scenery too.

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom