Star Citizen Discussion Thread v11

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
"By drastically reducing thruster efficiency in atmosphere, you’ll see a dramatic difference between flying and fighting around planetary bodies with atmosphere compared to battles in space. Since the aerodynamic forces are stronger in Alpha 3.10, flight is much less defined by a ship’s thrusters and more by its aerodynamics. This will really push the difference between space and atmospheric flight and add more depth and variety to Star Citizen."

Calling it now. CiG are going to be selling conventional atmosphere airframes shortly, the USP being they're better in atmospheres.
Calling something completely different, but related: there isn't an ounce of aerodynamic calculations — atmo flight will just be slight adjustments to the manoeuvre target times that drive the “flight model”.

New patch to Evocati:

From the patch notes...

34: There are naked AI in multiple areas in the PU

:oops:

I found after a couple of weeks not playing that SC now crashes on the first splash screen and chucks up the crash reporting box....tried a few things hardware and software related, even attempted logging in with a mates account details he kindly suggested I try after hours of trying to work the issue out...but even that still threw up the same crash error...but it's definitely my end.

Windows update or new Nvidia drivers seem the likely suspects for mucking something up as much as rolling back the driver and Windows update proved pointless anyway. My mate logged in successfully with my login details (how we worked out it was something my end that's broken)...big mistake giving him that since he proceeded into character creator and edited my avatar into a Neanderthal with a bowl cut...

fb.jpg

Needless to say, it's only SC that's affected by whatever it is, everything else works just dandy :cautious:

Last edited:
Calling something completely different, but related: there isn't an ounce of aerodynamic calculations — atmo flight will just be slight adjustments to the manoeuvre target times that drive the “flight model”.

That means that big ships now have a problem and should not get close to the planet surface because they are sitting ducks ?

Well, I can only speak personally, but Star Citizen was supposed to be the game I played while I waited for Elite: Dangerous to mature to the point where Odyssey is going to be in 2021. I normally budget about $20 a month for MMOs, either for subscription fees, or cosmetics. Needless to say, I spent that money elsewhere instead. This is where the money I would've spent on Star Citizen, had Chris Roberts kept the promises he made back in 2012, went:
  • Elite: Dangerous Alpha access, which gave me my LEP
  • ED cosmetics
  • ED second account
  • ED second account Horizons access
  • ED second account cosmetics
  • HTC Vive headset ‡
  • Thrustmaster Warthog ‡
  • Cockpit Sim chair to mount said Warthog to ‡
  • No Man's Sky ⊹
  • Space Engineers ⊹
  • Space Odyssey
  • The entire collection of Schlock Mercenary hardcover books to date ∴
  • Empyrion: Galactic Survival
  • Surviving Mars
  • Fallout 4 VR
  • Subnautica
  • XCOM 2
___
‡ Would've bought these three eventually, but not spending money on Star Citizen meant I could afford them much earlier
⊹ Games directly bought with my Star Citizen refund
∴ Also would've bought these eventually
Wait. Wat? Where's

NO TES V: SKYRIM = FAKE NEWS.

#EpicFailBudgetList

Needless to say, it's only SC that's affected by whatever it is, everything else works just dandy :cautious:
Given everything you've already tried, do you have a CPU with integrated graphics? If yes, you could try disabling your GPU just to see if you get further into the launcher. If you do get further, then that would at least isolate the issue to the GPU.

Plenty of gems in there, two of my personal favourites -

"They don't have the sand worm pipe lines completed yet. You don't understand worm development. You need patience, citizen. Chris Roberts knows what he is doing. He is the creative genius."​
"Do they have mice coding this piece of []? I say that because it seems a monkey could do a better job than what has been delivered so far."​

"By drastically reducing thruster efficiency in atmosphere, you’ll see a dramatic difference between flying and fighting around planetary bodies with atmosphere compared to battles in space. Since the aerodynamic forces are stronger in Alpha 3.10, flight is much less defined by a ship’s thrusters and more by its aerodynamics. This will really push the difference between space and atmospheric flight and add more depth and variety to Star Citizen."

Calling it now. CiG are going to be selling conventional atmosphere airframes shortly, the USP being they're better in atmospheres.
Oh dear. Why does that feature improvement sound more like a glorified revamp of hover mode adapted to the Exosphere? 💀
Wonder how long this new feature is going to last from a practical/operational perspective in dogfights. On the plus side, it seems this will give the pilot more flight control task micromanagement (in addition to operational concerns of things like overheating etc). Assuming that sort of micromanagement is the pilot's thing. But still uncertain how this will affect performance of hardware like hard points. Or benefit crew member combat performance. Will be interesting to see how this new feature plays out in atmospheric based dogfights.

Did anyone ask for this feature? Or is this another pacify-the-fan-base CR feature creep special that he conjured up at the last moment? :cautious:

Wait. Wat? Where's

NO TES V: SKYRIM = FAKE NEWS.

#EpicFailBudgetList
Let’s see, in order: Wishlist, Wishlist, Wishlist, Wishlist, Already Owned

Last edited:
If there are any flight sim developers on CIG's payroll, then they either need a trout to the face or to hang their heads in shame/bewilderment. How the hell does an atmosphere affect a self contained thruster's efficiency (has to be self contained or it doesn't work in space)?....there is just so much "wrong" in that statement, whoever wrote it should get thrown into a propeller as a lesson.

Thrust vs. Drag and Lift vs. Gravity - these are the forces you're taught about in the first flight school lesson before you even get into an aircraft for the first time and also where you start when you're coding a flight model....if CIG don't know this or the engine doesn't support it, then the results will be "interesting" at best, but probably comical/laughable.

I agree with the the "let's make this a saleable feature angle" - where there's muck, there's brass as they say...

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom