Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

Or this
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psFdqiPfhmg

released back in 1973. I suppose these words were already a meme back then (dunno when they started to use the actual full "Big in Japan" but i suppose it was a saying that was common among the rock bands that would go there and have a huge success).

as for actual FPS in Star Citizen: this guy is streaming right now with a fps counter. He's running a 6900XT and i suppose a high end CPU.. Barely hovers around 40fps.
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2K7NaWtVUtw
Radeon VII.

Oh, now you've set me off. [snip]
Oh you typed so much unnecessary stuff there lol (great post though).

I was born in '71 so I'm just the right age for that. Personally I'd have gone with Perfect as an exemplar of The Lightning Seeds oeuvre but there are many to choose from:

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oXku7W2HRU

and as for Frankie, all I'm going to say is that despite not having owned a turntable for 20 years, I still have this on 12" (bought when it came out) and will likely never sell it. It's probably one of the best pieces of production ever from a British band, Trevor Horn is a genius and this specific mix is one of my favourite songs of all time. Anybody who hasn't heard the 9 minute Annihilation mix from the 12" needs to do so immediately.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKXLxeBwxV8

Fun fact - the voice of Ronald Regan was provided by Chris Barrie aka Arnold Rimmer, who used to do the voice for him on Spitting Image.

I was never a particular fan of the KLF - I can agree that they were good at what they did without particularly liking it. I also thought the million pound stunt didn't work at all as an artistic statement; whilst accepting that it was entirely their choice to do so I thought it was without any real merit and frankly crass. But let's not argue :)

I was sufficiently familiar with Big in Japan that it's one of the reasons that the phrase always makes me smile and knew Holly Johnson and Broudie were involved, to be honest Ii didn't know Drummond was but I suspect that in part is because my mind kind of slides over his name without ever really internalising why he's being mentioned.

Last edited:
I was wondering when we'd get around to this again, seems to happen roughly every eight weeks or so.

There goes my theory about it being connected to a full moon then :)

While I've posted and talked about some pretty dark things (the Hollywood sex parties

Id rather hear that again than listen to another Starry Eyed Citizen going on about 'never been done before' when they mean 'not actually been done by CIG yet'

Oh, now you've set me off.

When people hear the words "big in Japan" their thoughts usually go to this...

Now, nobody can really argue the influence of Alphaville on the music of the 80s, with classics like this...

But there was actually a band called Big in Japan who had a song called... Big in Japan.

Unfortunately i can't find a video with the band in it with this song.... and yes, its absoloutely terrible. But its early days of the band members, let's say Tier 0.

However, at the 1 minute mark you can see a picture of the band members, and you might recognize some of them.

They were described by NME as the biggest band that never was, and for good reason.

Specifically third from left, Holly Johnson, a founding member of Frankie goes to Hollywood, a huge band in the late 80s

And had a solo career as well

Fifth from left is Ian Broudie, who would later find fame as the frontman of the Lightning Seeds

UK football fans of the 90s might remember this one

But to my mind the most influential member of the band was Bill Drummond, who went on to found the KLF with Jimmy Cauty, one of the most influencial pop/dance/sampling bands of the 90s.

Whether you remember them as the Timelords

or as the KLF

Or those guys who managed to convince an aging country and western singer to sing with them

If you lived in the 90s you knew about them.

They even wrote a book called how to write a number one, which at least one band claimed to have read and succeeded in making a number 1 record...

So, where am i going with this?

Well, as i see it you have two options. Either buy an Idris, or join the the Ancients of Mumu player faction in Elite Dangerous. Because we are justified (usually left, but sometimes right) and ancient (although not that ancient).
Culcha shok

Oh you typed so much unnecessary stuff there lol (great post though).

I was born in '71 so I'm just the right age for that. Personally I'd have gone with Perfect as an exemplar of The Lightning Seeds oeuvre but there are many to choose from:

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oXku7W2HRU

and as for Frankie, all I'm going to say is that despite not having owned a turntable for 20 years, I still have this on 12" (bought when it came out) and will likely never sell it. It's probably one of the best pieces of production ever from a British band, Trevor Horn is a genius and this specific mix is one of my favourite songs of all time. Anybody who hasn't heard the 9 minute Annihilation mix from the 12" needs to do so immediately.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKXLxeBwxV8

Fun fact - the voice of Ronald Regan was provided by Chris Barrie aka Arnold Rimmer, who used to do the voice for him on Spitting Image.

I was never a particular fan of the KLF - I can agree that they were good at what they did without particularly liking it. I also thought the million pound stunt didn't work at all as an artistic statement; whilst accepting that it was entirely their choice to do so I thought it was without any real merit and frankly crass. But let's not argue :)

I was sufficiently familiar with Big in Japan that it's one of the reasons that the phrase always makes me smile and knew Holly Johnson and Broudie were involved, to be honest Ii didn't know Drummond was but I suspect that in part is because my mind kind of slides over his name without ever really internalising why he's being mentioned.

To be fair, the burning of a million pounds was pretty tame compared to their dumping a dead sheep at the Brit awards or shooting blanks into the audience when they performed with Extreme Noise Terror.

I can almost remember the 80's...didn't listen to much music back then as I invariably ended up somewhere where stuff was exploding or strange, unfriendly people were shooting at me :(

When I wasn't being shot at...this was (and still is) my favourite album of all time. Music died after the 80's...truth :)

Oooooh, Alison Moyet. Yazoo were ok, and via Vince Clarke ties in with Erasure and Depeche Mode.

Those nutters are as credible as flat-earthers praising ecstatic their lord Almighty has decreed heliocentrism.
As a rule of thumb...it's always a good idea to totally ignore folk with dodgy face furniture...

yuUcP0M.jpg

So it's not "their own", then?
I didn't say it was.

You pretty much did ;)

True, tho its not really Cryengine, or Lumberyard (Same thing) any more, CIG have modified it so much its basically their own engine at this point.

Which is one of the things you were getting some needle on.

Along with being a bit unclear on whether you agreed with the Lando quote about SC's (64bit) scale being unprecedented. (Which I'm sure we can agree it isn't, in terms of map size).

And citing that godawful DF puff piece. You will always get some stick for that ;)

Top Bottom