Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

Just like planets were never going to happen, or cities, or volumetric clouds, or multicrew, or iCache. They're gonna release something eventually...
Who said "planets" were never going to happen? The only people who didn't want open freely landable planets were Chris and the devs, until Chris changed his mind. 🤷‍♂️ Then it became groundbreaking, never been done before, but it had.

Who said "cities" were never going to happen? Incidentally SC doesn't have cities as such, it has building landscape assets which you cant access with limited internal fps levels within. Then it became groundbreaking, never been done before, but it had.

Who said volumetric clouds were never going to happen? Both ED and SC have volumetric clouds, ED had volumetric rings and lagrange clouds, and SC followed later with lagrange clouds and have added clouds to one planet (sort of). Then it became groundbreaking, never been done before, but it had.

Who said multicrew was never going to happen? Seriously.

icache. Ha ha.

7c85c3a616d133dca20ad09d8c83469b.gif

Probably eventually, but it will not be the game that they sold to backers over the years.
I think eventually the already released PU will just be called "released V1", to the horror of SalteMike and others. Probably a week after some sort of SQ42 release.

Who said "planets" were never going to happen? The only people who didn't want open freely landable planets were Chris and the devs, until Chris changed his mind. 🤷‍♂️ Then it became groundbreaking, never been done before, but it had.

I remember back when they showed the Pupil to planet demo many people saying "Its a scam this will never be in game"
Who said "cities" were never going to happen? Incidentally SC doesn't have cities as such, it has building landscape assets which you cant access with limited internal fps levels within. Then it became groundbreaking, never been done before, but it had.
Hurston demo at citcon, again, many people spouted "This will never be ingame, get out now"
Who said volumetric clouds were never going to happen? Both ED and SC have volumetric clouds, ED had volumetric rings and lagrange clouds, and SC followed later with lagrange clouds and have added clouds to one planet (sort of). Then it became groundbreaking, never been done before, but it had.
The crazy Idea that Roberts had in like 2015 to have Crusader be fully explorable, and once more they said "never gonna happen"
Who said multicrew was never going to happen? Seriously.
Back in the 2.0 days it was a buggy mess and people thought they'd never polish it up to an acceptable level, turns out they did. Took a few years tho...
icache. Ha ha.
What's the "Ha ha" for? Its already done, and will be implemented fully in 3.15

Its already done, and will be implemented fully in 3.15
Not sure if trolling, but here goes anyway. You do realise how this sounds, or perhaps not. Speaking of things not yet in the game in present tense as if they are already delivered.

CIG may have said X is coming in future-patch. It may or may not happen. They have said similar things about a hundred other items that have yet to show up in any form. Even if delivered in some form, it may or may not do what they said it might do. They may have said X is needed before they do Y. That may or may not be true. Y may or may not happen at some future date, as long as the X that may or may not be delivered any time now does not block it, like a hundred other things have done before it.

Not like we have not been doing this song and dance for ten years and counting. I expect even a casual observer to notice these patterns and not fall into the trap of doing CIG's marketing for them. Leave that up to the youtubers. They at least make money off their grandiose statements.

Do better. Be better.

I remember back when they showed the Pupil to planet demo many people saying "Its a scam this will never be in game"

Hurston demo at citcon, again, many people spouted "This will never be ingame, get out now"

The crazy Idea that Roberts had in like 2015 to have Crusader be fully explorable, and once more they said "never gonna happen"

Back in the 2.0 days it was a buggy mess and people thought they'd never polish it up to an acceptable level, turns out they did. Took a few years tho...

You might be happy remembering only the good things that happened, but you seem to want to ignore anything that didn't happen or still hasn't happened.

Like SQ42 being close to release in 2014 with SC not far behind.
Like backers getting everything they pledged for and more by the end of 2015
Like Sataball never happening
Like ToW being a small project that would only take a few people and be ready by early 2020, now being outsourced to a third party and still not ready
Like jumps to a new system being advertised as coming soon in 2016
Like land claims being sold to people in 2017 despite still no functionality for that or the Pioneer that they sold
Like Star Marine being almost ready, then (CIG not admitting what had happened) CR saying its not needed, as its already in game, then releasing it and these days its a dead game mode

Sure, some people said some things wouldn't happen, and they were proven wrong (which is why i tend to avoid saying things like something will never be done unless i'm pretty certain), but there is still lots that needs to be done and there is probably stuff that will never be done, because CIG promised a ton of stuff that if they were to do would take another 30 years or more of development.

I guess ToW will release one day, in some form or another. Maybe Sataball will ever make an appearance.

But the game that CIG sold to backers, that's never happening in our lifetimes, i can pretty much guarantee that.

110 systems? LOL, not while CR is in charge, not in the next decade or two, not with the same level of detail as Stanton.

Not sure if trolling, but here goes anyway. You do realise how this sounds, or perhaps not. Speaking of things not yet in the game in present tense as if they are already delivered.

CIG may have said X is coming in future-patch. It may or may not happen. They have said similar things about a hundred other items that have yet to show up in any form. Even if delivered in some form, it may or may not do what they said it might do. They may have said X is needed before they do Y. That may or may not be true. Y may or may not happen at some future date, as long as the X that may or may not be delivered any time now does not block it, like a hundred other things have done before it.

Not like we have not been doing this song and dance for ten years and counting. I expect even a casual observer to notice these patterns and not fall into the trap of doing CIG's marketing for them. Leave that up to the youtubers. They at least make money off their grandiose statements.

Do better. Be better.

SQ42 was almost finished in 2014! Should be released any day now!

Looks at roadmap

Ah, no, i guess not.

You can see the difference between 'done before stuff' and 'never been done before' stuff though right?

Proc gen planets (or proc gen surface 'painting' as it turned out to be), planetary cloud volumetrics, city scapes in open world environments etc.They've all been done to varying degrees, in varying ways, by other games, right? (So why you were paying attention to naysayers on that front, I'm not sure ;))

But 100s of NPCs milling around mobile capital ships engaged in player-controlled firefights... Done before? Nah.

1000s of players engaging in comparable twitch-based vehicle and on foot combat in a singular instance, in a giant open world... Done before? Nah.

CIG are reaching the pointy end of their claims. Saying 'they got these assets into the [not particularly well-performing] game' doesn't really lay the groundwork for unique technical leaps in the way that you are intimating.

I'm kinda confused what it is you're defining as 'multicrew' here. Wouldn't that include all the stuff like engineering / scanning etc which doesn't currently function in any meaningful way? Currently there are turrets, and at a pinch the launchable fighters right? But there's a lot more on CIG's slate on that front. Seems odd to say it's polished to an acceptable level right now.

Do you just mean multiplayer functioning? In ships?

The 'ha ha' is for it being yet another in a long succession of much lauded, much delayed, tech which has been advertised as changing the game significantly, and bringing Server Meshing to imminence, but which currently hasn't. And won't. Again.

The fact that you proffer it up as proof of progress towards said greater things is funny. That's all ;)

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator

Noice. I knew this line of argumentation reminded me of something.

"I claim a polished and acceptable multicrew for SC!"

Source: https://youtu.be/uEx5G-GOS1k?t=39

I guess we dont have flags so you must be right...

Last edited:
Top Bottom