Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

It's typical in agile/scrum at least. Every item/feature/functionality is a 'card', like you're even encouraged to have it physically written on a paper like a post-it note, and then you spend time sorting them, organising them, moving them into the various completion boxes, and deciding which set of cards will be done next. There's a lot more behind, but that's the cards part. They have a physical presence which work as a reminder and a constant awareness of the projects status/progress.

Of course, if this was agile/scrum, they'd have cards for everything, and they'd have a board (possibly a physical one, and certainly a digital one) they could show you with all these cards and their completion status. This is critical as it allows everyone on the team to know how things go. So my guess is that one of their smaller teams uses the methodology internally for their parts, and the term caught with some higher ups. It does seems fitting for a CR project to only lift the shallowest bits of other works after all.

I see. I can see that either being a huge force multiplier as far as communications and organization goes, or being an absolute waste of time where it gives people a reason to sit around all day.

I see. I can see that either being a huge force multiplier as far as communications and organization goes, or being an absolute waste of time where it gives people a reason to sit around all day.

No, it actually works pretty well when properly implemented, but "properly" includes various things such as scale amongst others. It's for small teams of 5 to 9 people who are full-time on a single project. It's something small teams of a giant project could use for well defined (!) components/deliverables.

Clive Johnson about server meshing

No, it's WIP seen in dev talks/videos.

I repeat my self. If you would waiting like me since 2012 and tried to answer the many calls from CI zero games you would know what I mean. CI -g talk and talk and talk about things what they get done is less and less. I think I was in the same boat like you until April 2016 when Evocati became a thing. The builds they got are the only builds. The word WIP could be used for anything like the roadmap for a roadmap.
How long are they working on Server meshing? Why is the team from Amazon capable to get an MMO out and CI -g is not capable?
I say it again it was not a scam from beginning but it has become a scam. The super whales have to invest more and more to keep the lights on that is the pure truth.

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
I'm eager to see it 😁

So you say CIG haven't even started to work on Vulkan, docking, server meshing, fire propagation, the second part of the fly model rework, etc ?

No. Only that there is in essence no difference between not doing something and just claiming that you are "doing it". Especially when, as is the case of CIG, the little actually delivered does not work reliably or at all. And especially when there is a track record of 8+ years of non delivery on many claims.

Remember that things "delivered" but that do not work, or do not work reliably enough, are in fact not really delivered.

Last edited:
Yes they are the 'most' transparent. Do you know one game giving more info than CIG about its alpha ?
But 'most' infos doesn't mean 'all' infos.

Remember that things "delivered" but that do not work, or do not work reliably enough, are in fact not really delivered.
Bugs because alpha ?
Always the same things. You think that a lot of bugs in alpha are not normal, I think it's OK. You think that 8 years is too much for one alpha, I think 6 years for 2 alphas is normal. We have conflicting views on this project.

Yes they are the 'most' transparent. Do you know one game giving more info than CIG about its alpha ?

Bugs because alpha ?
Always the same things. You think that a lot of bugs in alpha are not normal, I think it's OK. You think that 8 years is too much for one alpha, I think 6 years for 2 alphas is normal. We have conflicting views on this project.
So you say CR lied in the KS 2012 when he told us that he worked on SQ42 a while?

Went in for a very quick spin on the 3.10.
First step was going out of New Babbage, to avoid the new guiding tunnels of doom above Area18 and Lorville:
  • Lifts are still a pair of doors, that visibly travel across the map in a very disturbing way. Still zero feedback on whatever happens when you call one or click on a destination. This is going on now since like 2 years or so ?
  • Trains are still duplicated over each other with some quantum magic, leading to non predictable behaviours form the physics engine (it may throw a fit and your character across the surface of the planet, or into orbit, or just let him down on the rails while the train departs). This has been going on for a long time and is still far from fixed, actually if anything it's getting worse.
  • Lifting off with a Retaliator, i noticed the quite important difference in perceived heft of the ship, its inertia, and what's new, angular momentum ! Interesting. I'll come back to that

Then went out of atmo, on to Port Tressler (the orbital station just above the planet) to park there so i dont have to respawn on the planet and endure the bug ridden and boring commute.
  • Tried to use the MFD in Comms mode to contact landing services. MFD is still totally buggered (not able to change display modes, when they dont just blank out entirely).
  • So i used my personal comms device. Landing services not anywhere in global or local contacts. Turn out they are now under "friends" for some obscure idiotic reason.
  • Upon landing, noticed Repair and Refuel are still not working at all. It's been going on for quite a long time and a few patches and killing a lot of the motivation for playing the alpha...

Okay time to bring out the Sabre and try space & atmo fighter flight test. (Sabre is a medium sized winged fighter, with good aerodynamics judging from its shape)
  • Do NOT linger even for a fraction of a second after taking off from the station: they have become quite nervous and will get hostile rather quickly...
  • Space flight has now some inertia, and also angular momentum too, interesting. I think it's a global step in the right direction. It takes a little bit of practice to get used to, which could not be said of the former "linear movement" FM, so it's indeed good news.
  • Went down to the planet for some low altitude flight. The ship exhibits interesting behaviours, with mav thrusters actually fighting what seems to be gravity (!! that's new !) but wings providing zero lift (that's not new, but a bit disappointing). Yaw is behaving quite like an actual winged plane, which is surpringly good. Since the wings provide no lift, it will not pull any more G's than in space seemingly, which is also a bit of a letdown. Still, globally it feels a LOT better than what it used to be. Landing and taking off is also a bit less jarring even though landing gear still lacks shock absorption.
  • Atmo flight is a far cry from what KSP+FAR could offer, but still, this ship has now some personality, and its own atmo flight model. That's quite good.

Then went back to the station, called the Retaliator (a big turreted torpedo bomber, with huge wings and fins, and VTOL) for the same test.
  • It's properly heavy ! I suppose i wont be strafing around Hammerheads anymore evading their lasers, time for new tactics. It's got lots of inertia, and will definitely pull stronger now from main thrusters.
  • In atmo, VTOL does make a difference, it uses about 50% of the thrust that would be needed to keep the ship afloat in non-VTOL mode. Horizontal speed seems not affected much though, which is weird considering a few of the main engines are now pointing down, and should increase drag quite a lot...
  • Banking on its sides and it will fall down due to weaker lateral mav thrusters. It wont "fall towards the horizon" so i guess that was fixed from the PTU - it now falls properly towards the planet.
  • Turning radius at full blast is really slow and wide, while going slower it will pivot easily. This will induce a few new tactics too.
  • Overall it's a lot more challenging to pilot that ship in extreme conditions, which is quite good indeed. Even though a lot of details are missing, it's a giant step in the right direction, and what i expected from that CitizenCon presentation a few years ago.
  • I noticed that mav thrusters still pull around 2.2G while main thrusters pull about 4.5G (around double then) - the ratio seems still off considering the size difference, but i guess it's a work in progress, or at least progress was accomplished here.
  • Top speed is still sluggish considering the Tali has good areodynamics and huge main engines.

Then went on with a server crash as i was going back to the station. Not too thrilled about trying again as there's not much else to do, given how broken everything else is.

3.10 = not recommended unless you want to fool around a bit. It will punish you for just trying to "play the game". The new FM is interesting though and piloting heavy cargo ships might get actually fun !

Last edited:

Bugs because alpha ?

SC hasn't actually got as far as alpha.

Yes they are the 'most' transparent.
Where are Chris and Sandi? Are they both still drawing executive salaries from the backers' money? For what work? What kind of contract was signed with the Calders, who put in large sums of money? Who is in control of the project? These are all reasonable questions for people asked to give money to them. Since they are transparent I'm sure you can tell us.

Top Bottom