Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

I’ve played enough open world online games that thought unrestricted PvP was a good idea to know that 90% of players won’t even reach that level of competence, which is why they’re so easy to pick out from NPCs. That's why such games, with the rare exception like Eve Online, inevitably wither and die unless PvP is eventually gated behind artificial restrictions. Most players play online games for escapism, or for socialization... not to be targets for other players amusement.

That's why the whole idea of "players make the best villains" inevitably proves false: most "villains" don't play these games to be provide content for others. They play games for other people to be their content.
I think they are a good fit to SC. It's kinda like cancer that will kill off the weak organism, only it's games here.

Allowing players to take NFTs, which have real world value, would be even worse than allowing people to take subscriber flairs - which have real world cost (but no resale value, if I understand correctly). Gold Selling on a whole new level if you can take the gold from others ...
It's not about cost, the damned things only cost a few quid at most and besides store credit refundable value, they're worth nothing....but the idiotic idea of being able to lose access to those items you've paid for with real cash just because some troll decides they want them, for 'reasons'... it's nothing to do with gameplay, it's like someone in the carpark at Tesco deciding to just take your car simply because it looks better than what they're driving...it's theft.

Last edited:
It's not about cost, the damned things only cost a few quid at most and besides store credit refundable value, they're worth nothing....but the idiotic idea of being able to lose access to those items you've already paid for... it's like someone in the carpark at Tesco deciding to just take your car simply because it looks better than what they're driving...it's theft.
Well, many people obviously don't mind all the lying. I wouldn't be surprised when their conscept of property is also deviant.

It's not about cost, the damned things only cost a few quid at most and besides store credit refundable value, they're worth nothing....but the idiotic idea of being able to lose access to those items you've paid for with real cash just because some troll decides they want them, for 'reasons'... it's nothing to do with gameplay, it's like someone in the carpark at Tesco deciding to just take your car simply because it looks better than what they're driving...it's theft.
Yeah, not disagreeing - just pointing out that NFTs are even worse as they provide a motivation, other than salt gathering, to do more. It does seem that best way out is for paid flairs to become cosmetics - you can steal the item, not the cosmetic flair. Though that hurts the precious immersion.

There is a certain irony that introduction of DOAS has produced more drama from unintended gameplay (ppl healed to death & flair stealing) than it has from all the limping / hospitals / cloning. Lots more of this to come as the game adds .. gameplay :)

If they had said at the time of sale something like "Note, items purchased can be lost and taken by other players temporarily and will need to be reobtained via in-game mechanics" then it would have been better... but then, how much would they have sold?

I believe I have 2 "DLC" ships in Naval Action. They can be sunk and I can reclaim them every 24 h. I think they can also be boarded, but I'm not sure.

If they had said at the time of sale something like "Note, items purchased can be lost and taken by other players temporarily and will need to be reobtained via in-game mechanics" then it would have been better... but then, how much would they have sold?
Judging by the amount of subscribers cancelling their subscriptions and melting the subby flair armours for store credit...not a lot :)

I have no objection to the whole looting mechanic or the idea behind it, but there's enough 'fear of loss' involved in a gameplay sense even with the armours, ships and equipment either earned through gameplay or bought in game with aUEC without punishing folk who've paid a few extra bucks for some nice cosmetic armour...it's not like it's unique or anything, just different colours from common or garden stuff found in game for the main part.

Last edited:
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/qf0x4c Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/qf0x4c/why_the_carebear_apocalypse_will_be_great_for/

F4E1rS0.gif
I love how every Eve player has to make every game like Eve. They really are a special bunch.

I love how every Eve player has to make every game like Eve. They really are a special bunch.

Its not just EvE players. There seems to be a demographic that always push in the same direct.

Single player game needs multiplayer
Multiplayer game needs to be an MMO
MMO needs to support PvP
MMO needs to cater to PvPers at the expense of PvEers
MMO needs full loot

Then they wonder why they game dies if they get what they wanted. Devs did everything they asked and it failed. Must be the fault of the carebears.

There is a market for full loot MMOs, but its so tiny, and the demographic so fickle, that its a major risk for any developer trying to go down that road.

Some SC backers love to bang on about devs that pump out cookie cooker games year after year, but there is a good reason for that. Those games sell and game devs/publishers are businesses, not charities.

Enter Chris Roberts....

Its not just EvE players. There seems to be a demographic that always push in the same direct.

Single player game needs multiplayer
Multiplayer game needs to be an MMO
MMO needs to support PvP
MMO needs to cater to PvPers at the expense of PvEers
MMO needs full loot

Then they wonder why they game dies if they get what they wanted. Devs did everything they asked and it failed. Must be the fault of the carebears.

There is a market for full loot MMOs, but its so tiny, and the demographic so fickle, that its a major risk for any developer trying to go down that road.

Some SC backers love to bang on about devs that pump out cookie cooker games year after year, but there is a good reason for that. Those games sell and game devs/publishers are businesses, not charities.

Enter Chris Roberts....
Yup...if I wanted Rust, Day Z, Eve or Tarkov, I'd go play them...just leave that shyte out of my space game :)

Top Bottom