Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

However, i'm not calling it fantasy because of that. Its because part of the 10:1 thing is about NPCs being indistinguisable from players, which is just laughable. Pure fantasy.

Foulest heresy!

Some of my greatest gaming moments in SC have come from standing motionless on chairs until the inactivity timer kicks me off. I consider it a fulfilling experience, adding to the ambience, and richly rewarding in that I get to watch other poor unfortunate Commando's jump out of lifts, look around, and then get dragged away by the lift floor when it moves.

Funny thing is, in that thread there are people literally pointing out that in EvE people still fly into high sec to make kills knowing full well their ships are going to get destroyed by security.

As for the 10:1 ratio of NPCs to players, that's another fantasy. Not because they can't have that ratio of players to NPCs. They can have NPCs dynamically adjust in spawns if they want to keep the ratio, although they might want to think more carefully about this. If the servers already groan under the weight of tens of players and having to communicate beetween them, increasing the number of NPCs in relation to the number of players is going to massively increase overhead. If anything, the number of NPCs should reduce with more players.

However, i'm not calling it fantasy because of that. Its because part of the 10:1 thing is about NPCs being indistinguisable from players, which is just laughable. Pure fantasy.
You can easily spot them standing on the bar stools.

LOL, such innocence.

There will always be some degree of it, however with the law system even in its current state why get a crime stat for nothing if you could get it for something.

lol. exactly! im not gonna get a crimestat to kill some npc's (well, usually), but i'll risk it for killing players!

like the new free prisoners on a caterpillar. haven't done it because not risking going to prison over an npc mission.

Foulest heresy!

Some of my greatest gaming moments in SC have come from standing motionless on chairs until the inactivity timer kicks me off. I consider it a fulfilling experience, adding to the ambience, and richly rewarding in that I get to watch other poor unfortunate Commando's jump out of lifts, look around, and then get dragged away by the lift floor when it moves.

Players can't Tpose, so you are instantly distinguishable from an NPC.

Electronic Arts took over back then because it was their money on the line and at risk.
Microsoft Game Studios, not EA. And right now, no, there's not even a chance of them showing up when the SC project goes bankrupt and adding CIG to their massive gobbling up of small dev studios that they've been bingeing on for the last 2 years, because in all but a few of those cases of ones they've bought lately, they had a proven track record of actually delivering decent finished games.

Not seen it mentioned on here (except by me) but have they removed most of the NPCs? Every base looks like a ghost town. I don't do SC so cannot test it.

Edit: Finally one Twitch streamer agreed with my observation. The rest dismissed my question, but some in chat also picked up on it. Any players on here want to comment?

Last edited:
Were a bunch of NPC's when I was playing last night.

In fact, being wanted, I was constantly getting hassled by NPC cops. NPC cops were gone for a while in the last patches and are back now.

Were a bunch of NPC's when I was playing last night.

In fact, being wanted, I was constantly getting hassled by NPC cops. NPC cops were gone for a while in the last patches and are back now.
I was on Twitch earlier and the only NPCs are cops. None looking at posters or leaning on railings or just walking around. There were a couple standing still in front of chairs, but that was it. Guessing this has been done for performance.

If it is someone on Twitch, they are almost certainly in the 3.10.1 PTU.

Last night I was in 3.10.0 live.
Tried a few different streamers and they all appeared to be the same. It's quite difficult to find streamers on Twitch who are actually playing the game, loads are just chatting crap.
When I did try to point it out to some they obviously didn't want any negativity about the game at all and shrugged it off. Tools!

Not seen it mentioned on here (except by me) but have they removed most of the NPCs? Every base looks like a ghost town. I don't do SC so cannot test it.

Edit: Finally one Twitch streamer agreed with my observation. The rest dismissed my question, but some in chat also picked up on it. Any players on here want to comment?
According to Todd Papy in one of the latest vids, he mentioned 'monster lockers' and that they had been instituted for 3.10. These are basically spawn and despawn rooms for NPC's. That would make sense as I've noticed a tad less wanderers amidst the NPC crowd in quite a few places...a few still standing on seats here and there but if they're standing on the chairs...perhaps it's as a protest against being shoved in the monster cupboard.

I reckon most of the NPC's have been deleted to try and improve server frame rates and desync across the board.

According to Todd Papy in one of the latest vids, he mentioned 'monster lockers' and that they had been instituted for 3.10. These are basically spawn and despawn rooms for NPC's. That would make sense as I've noticed a tad less wanderers amidst the NPC crowd in quite a few places...a few still standing on seats here and there but if they're standing on the chairs...perhaps it's as a protest against being shoved in the monster cupboard.

I reckon most of the NPC's have been deleted to try and improve server frame rates and desync across the board.
Thanks for the reply Mole. Just watching one streamer a minute ago running around large rooms with maybe one or two NPCs. Goes around a corner and there are two standing on seats. He gives a wry smile to camera. This was in 3.10 I believe. I think they know what is going on but don't like to rock the boat. This was a guy who fobbed me off earlier.

By the way, other than that Pillars Talk earlier in the year that was recorded last year, Chris Roberts has actually not made any appearance or statement in over 8 months in any of the regular CIG shows or posts, correct?

This is good for Star Citizen. Nobody promising to add new stuff out of the blue.

Also...
Cant link via FD's forum link,

just add the http yourself: clips.twitch.tv/BlushingStrongDinosaurKreygasm

Oh, remember how people told me that the only reason i was seeing two trams spawning at once was because of my poor computer specs..... yeah, someone want to tell this streamer his rig is rubbish?

Top Bottom