Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

That's the difference in approach, replicating the same structures to use over and over again vs hand crafting very large and rich worlds that are all unique.
Counterpoint: NMS worlds are all unique and rich too. Proc gen doesnt have to be the sterile rocky moons of ED (sorry FDEV, you'll have to make Elite 5 maybe to overcome your game code limitations..).

If there is one thing that shows the scale difference of the planets/moons in ED and SC, it's how long it takes to get to the surface from space manually. Totally boring to do, but don't lots of SC players like that stuff?
I'll throw another counterpoint :D Having a full sim-like living quarters inside ships with mess halls (like in the Caterpillar for instance) you'd think you would be supposed to spend a lot of time in there. With a proper scale (and top speeds too..) these details would be justified. Less arcade pew-pew, more hmm.. people living in the stars ? like, citizens of the stars or something ? hmmmm...

I know... its why i don't really care about that, i don't care about 110 systems if 80 of them all look similar.

Oh, don't worry about that. As long as CR is in charge (and isn't taking orders from investors), assuming they don't run out of money first, then every system will be lovingly handcrafted, each location approved by CR himself, every planet and moon will have its own fashion (which will be sent back for rework at least once or twice because CR can't communicate what he really wants on first attempt), every toilet will be scrutinized for incorrect pixels.

Don't worry about that at all.

Counterpoint: NMS worlds are all unique and rich too. Proc gen doesnt have to be the sterile rocky moons of ED (sorry FDEV, you'll have to make Elite 5 maybe to overcome your game code limitations..).
Pretty sure fdev could have put more on their planets - they have specifically called out trying to be more towards the realism end than the fantasy end (like NMS). Both as valid, but yeah, it does leave ED planets looking pretty empty in comparison. But then again you wouldn't have a Neil Armstrong moment in NMS, maybe a Barbarella moment :)

I'll throw another counterpoint :D Having a full sim-like living quarters inside ships with mess halls (like in the Caterpillar for instance) you'd think you would be supposed to spend a lot of time in there. With a proper scale (and top speeds too..) these details would be justified. Less arcade pew-pew, more hmm.. people living in the stars ? like, citizens of the stars or something ? hmmmm...

Maybe they should scale down the ships as well! They will be less sparse!

I don't think they are talking about a single person exploring everything. Its more about everything being explored by the community as soon as its released.
Well, one thing they could do is to make it harder to get to places, especially in much bigger systems like Pyro. Pirates, Interdictions, Asteroid Belts blocking your path, need for fuel tankers and all that. And just add some new anomaly in the system every week or so, resource deposits. There's lots of ways to make it interesting.

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
Theoretically, I can sort of see it working though.

You've got your core '100' or whatever it is systems that have all the NPC services like with have now, and and the unexplored stuff is proc-gened/uninhabitabed and ripe for player 'colonisation' in whatever form it may take.
Ah, you remind me a lot of all the wild speculation and "high fiving" of ideas exchanged way back then at the start of the project. Good times. Some things will never change though, CIG is best in class when it comes to make backers salivating and speculating about all kinds of non existing things. Case in point, that is what brings them money after all, as opposed to actual delivery.

So if you haven't made it to the ship and have seen it blown up before your eyes, you will ask FDEV to add in the game a teleport from the base directly to your seat to shorten the time ?
When you run out of time, being in or out of the ship is not a parameter.
Well I have to say that basic problem is that in EDO ships are vulnerable to hand held weapons. Kind of idiotic, I mean same engineered monster can take severe punishing from semi truck sized monster cannon, but succumbs to pew pew from assault rifle. Which should behave something like how tank would take rifle fire....

Crew served anti-ship weapon I would understand, but this, blah....

Well I have to say that basic problem is that in EDO ships are vulnerable to hand held weapons. Kind of idiotic, I mean same engineered monster can take severe punishing from semi truck sized monster cannon, but succumbs to pew pew from assault rifle. Which should behave something like how tank would take rifle fire....

Crew served anti-ship weapon I would understand, but this, blah....
Not only are they vulnerable to hand held weapons, they are vulnerable to hands! :cool:
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRI-rGkVS9Y

I'm guessing you haven't tried this recently - it takes a lot of firepower to take out ships in ED now. More than just dropping an empty bottle, which seems enough to take out an SC ship ....

Top Bottom