Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

Fair play to you if that’s what you’ve done.

I picked on that point because, amongst the fair assessments in your post, that phrase still stood out as a bit soft soapy. IE the "no need to spend anymore than $45 on an Aurora". Although you caveated it with the "as you can use or crew up other ships belonging to others in your org" bit, it seems that most people who play regularly do often feel the 'need' to upgrade via real cash. (To increase earnings potential or survivability, to cut travel times and general annoyances, to ensure the persistence of the upgrade vs current in-game buying options etc. Or just to start ‘collecting em all ;)').

If you don’t mind a second question: Have you not tried upgrading your ship in-game as yet? Or are you just making use of vessels in your org for now?
I have clicked on it a few times, Thought about an Avenger or a Cutlass, but backed out when I saw the upgrade cost. Plus if I want to really want to fly one I just ask someone to spawn one for me. For me at this stage it will not make any real difference. The only big change to my gameplay would be getting a dedicated fighter.

What exploration missions are in the game?
I have not noticed any. But when they release a new moon/planet you can explore it without any direction from the game. Apart from in Quantum and some no fly zones over cities you can fly wherever you like. Give it a go. (do you have the 'game', do you play?)

Last edited:
Is the Y axis x10 or x100?
I just had a look at their terms and conditions for refunds. They seem more generous than steam purchases, which is two weeks and having played less than 2 hours(where I live). I suppose that I should give CIG some credit for that, Its a bit like buying a new TV. Steam give you a one year limited warranty. CIG give you a two year no quibble warranty.

And where is CR?

Erin was meant to be now in charge of SC i thought. Sandi has been absent for a long time, no longer head of marketing, but as i understand, still holds a positon on the board, although it might be as a silent partner. Speculation regarding Sandi is rife, ranging from she's divorced/divorcing Chris to Calders wanted her out of the picture.

Speculation regarding Chris is less certain. He appeared on a video earlier in the year but it looks as though it was filmed the same time as the previous part that was done in 2019. So, no known video with CR in since last year. This is marked difference. Again, there is speculation that Calder's have told him to stop appearing, perhaps because every time he does he promises something new or starts waffling on about something. Maybe he's just too busy, head down, deep in the code, refactoring the whole game or dealing with the business. Or if the Sandi divorce speculation is true, maybe his personal life is having an impact. (EDIT: Maybe the video where CR was approving the NPC clothes was early 2020)

Erin is perhaps the strangest one though. He was in charge of what was theoretically the easier part but then Chambers was brought in to do his job. Why? Because CR is doing other stuff and someone had to take over management of SC? Regardless, why haven't we heard from him?

In what is meant to be the most open development ever, its very strange that we have no real news of 3 of the main actors in this drama for half a year.

I think it could end like freelancer but with Calder instead of Microsoft.

CIG give you a two year no quibble warranty.
I'm not familiar with the terms. Where is that listed? I only see the "30 day" comment:

"We are able refund pledges up to 30 days after the order was made. "

I'm not familiar with the terms. Where is that listed? I only see the "30 day" comment:

"We are able refund pledges up to 30 days after the order was made. "
Is the y axis x10 or x100? I do not want to misquote it if I refer to it.
I looked at the same place as you for refund details. Do you think it is better or worse than steam? On the surface it seems better

There are 6,294 subscribers.
I did not realise that that so few people had refunded SC in the last three years, It can not be correct just 6294! It must be a cumulative graph. ( I have refunded 2 Steam games this year alone) What is the source of the graph so that I can see what the figures relate to. I have had a couple of drinks, am I misinterpreting it?

Last edited:
I did not realise that that so few people had refunded SC in the last three years, It can not be correct just 6294! It must be a cumulative graph. ( I have refunded 2 Steam games this year alone) What is the source of the graph so that I can see what the figures relate to. I have had a couple of drinks, am I misinterpreting it?
The number of people subscribed to the refund subreddit has about as much relation to the number who have refunded as the number of accounts on CIG's website has to the number of people who have given CIG money.

The number of people subscribed to the refund subreddit has about as much relation to the number who have refunded as the number of accounts on CIG's website has to the number of people who have given CIG money.
Yes. I had a refund a few years ago so I still have a Star Citizen account, but I've never suscribed to this subreddit.

Got it sorry, The title on the link was "starcitizen refund stats" but it is not the number of refunds, That will be many more than 6000.

My mistake I had better stop drunken internetting before I get into hot water

I have not noticed any. But when they release a new moon/planet you can explore it without any direction from the game. Apart from in Quantum and some no fly zones over cities you can fly wherever you like. Give it a go. (do you have the 'game', do you play?)
I have SC (and a few ships in there). There is no exploration. Currently there is only one star system, where everyone spawns in, with no unknown locations, no external portal to another system.
Also there is no associated gameplay, in any way, like getting money for discoveries, checking new locations, discovering new species (and getting money for that for example), etc. Since everything is hand made, and not proc gen (dont get me started on that !) it's unlikely there will be anything like that ever.
Ships have absolutely zero system associated with exploration (like planetary or biological scanners, mapping tools, etc.) and even if you want to play pretend, there is currently a hard limit on how long you can stay away from a refuel station due to no in-space or on-surface refuelling. No hand tools (like a star trek tricorder) either.
The only thing people do at the moment is take screenshots and play pretend, while showing a scenery that tens of thousands other people have already seen, and multiple times even due to that subreddit that is basically a screenshot repository.
Also given how long it takes for CiG to craft a complete system (about 3 years i would say) by 2023 we might have a 2nd system complete. Everything in there will be "discovered" in a matter of days.
By the hypothesis you reach immortality and live long enough to see 100 systems delivered, well first chances are actual interplanetary space flight will be common by then, but yet again that's quite not enough to warrant any kind of "exploration".

Last edited:
Top Bottom