Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
And what makes Derek the most reliable financial guy to make these statements?

Well, it is not about Derek per se. It does not really matter. The fact is he seems to have been absolutely correct when he said:

"There isn’t a single publisher or developer on this planet who could build this game as pitched, let alone for anything less than $150 million."

The sad part for SC is that we are past the 450 million mark,10 years and it seems even Derek´s most pessimistic predictions have been surpassed there.

Last edited:
And what makes Derek the most reliable financial guy to make these statements? Because he's a gamedev... who has made very successful games indeed! (lol) But oh well, seeing as he is the lord and saviour of the refund faithfuls, yes, now YOU are the faithfuls! (To derek, of course) I doubt this discussion is going to be fruitful at all.
May his name be hallowed and his predictions cometh true... may CIG crumble in hell... (90 days tops)

Anyway, some more predictions from me: CIG will need atleast 600 million and 3 more years to finish Star Citizen! Maybe I should start a "Bobspeak" blog´.

Nobody is saying he's the most reliable. It was brought up in relation to a joke post i made and someone added a joke comment about Derek Smart.

You took it seriously and ran with it as though people were claiming Derek was some sort of prophet.

So far at least that is indeed correct. 10+ years without a released product.

He did? Well if he did he really seems to be really good at dodging bullets!

"Stuart Moulder, the Microsoft general manager who oversaw the software giant’s relationship with Digital Anvil, came to believe that Microsoft money intended for game development was instead used for the movie."
Etc etc
Off to Prison he goes...
"There isn’t a single publisher or developer on this planet who could build this game as pitched, let alone for anything less than $150 million."

So far he was bang on the money, literally. Even you already agree that the game as pitched will not be delivered.
Despite the fact that he spent many blogposts explaining how CIG would be bankrupt soon hahah
Lol, you really did go there!
In comparison to LoD, which Derek claimed would actually release and be not buggy at all...
While it has been well over 7 years since he announced it while selling content packs of which most aren't in the game, and the last blog post to be found was in 2020. Derek Smart, actually putting out vaporware! Scam! And it's still early access.

Off to Prison he goes...

Despite the fact that he spent many blogposts explaining how CIG would be bankrupt soon hahah

In comparison to LoD, which Derek claimed would actually release and be not buggy at all...
While it has been well over 7 years since he announced it while selling content packs of which most aren't in the game, and the last blog post to be found was in 2020. Derek Smart, actually putting out vaporware! Scam! And it's still early access.

Derek bad therefore CR good? Is that really the card you want to play?

How about Derek bad, CR bad?

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator

Why do you think CIG needed external investors?

Off to Prison he goes...

He likes to live on the edge indeed!

"With the German money dried up, things were bleak in Tinseltown. Kevin Costner sued Ascendant Pictures at the end of 2005, claiming it reneged on a deal to pay him $8 million to act in a comedy. (Ascendant denied wrongdoing and the suit was settled.) Roberts sold Ascendant Pictures in 2010 to a small production company called Bigfoot Entertainment, which had offices in Los Angeles and the Philippines."

I dont know man.

Source: https://youtu.be/wU7Lrkm5Q8o

Source: https://youtu.be/CAqevk4MY_c

Source: https://youtu.be/YMpZ8VRTlok

Last edited:
Derek should know Chris because Smart is Chris- stuck making the same games over and over and failing at new ones. The only real difference is that Smart was far less successful and now has used that failiure to comment on others. So the ding dongs that go on are really like Laurel and Hardy.

Most people learn from their mistakes. Some people never do.

In fact CR claimed he had learned from his mistakes. After Freelancer (or perhaps it was Strike Commander) he was interviewed and said he wished someone had sat him down and told him to focus on just a few things.

He then totally ignored his own advice, and i'm pretty certain if anyone had told him to focus on a few things he would have waved his hands around, mumbled "fidelity" and fired whoever told him that. After all, CR said he wants Americans, not American'ts!

Most people learn from their mistakes. Some people never do.

In fact CR claimed he had learned from his mistakes. After Freelancer (or perhaps it was Strike Commander) he was interviewed and said he wished someone had sat him down and told him to focus on just a few things.

He then totally ignored his own advice, and i'm pretty certain if anyone had told him to focus on a few things he would have waved his hands around, mumbled "fidelity" and fired whoever told him that. After all, CR said he wants Americans, not American'ts!
They are more alike then they let on really- Battlecruiser was trying to do everything and wound up a mess. CR had his time with (entertaining but eventually derivative) interactive war films and FMV but both never really learned.

Which is sad, really. In Wacko Dimension if they had met the Other Person (like Brabus met Bell) history might have been different.

Pure Male Bovine Excrement.

Minecraft was in Alpha, and it was reviewed extensively. It was one of the reasons why I bought in at that stage of development.

Kerbal Space Program was in Alpha, and it was reviewed extensively. It was one of the reasons why I bought it at that stage of development.

Space Engineers, Valheim, Fortnight, Subnautica, the list goes on and on. If they're taking players money, then reviewing them should be fair game for journalists.

The only "playable Alpha" game I know of that insists that it's unfair to review the game (but paradoxically claims it is a playable game when taking your money) is Star Citizen. A continuously crowdfunded development project that despite not having delivered the game back in 2014 when they promised they would, not only continues to enrich the Roberts Clan through a despicable and duplicitous Hollywood Accounting shell company shuffle, but is now paying millions in dividends to those same individuals, in a particularly egregious and utterly unethical abuse of the crowd funding model.

SC is in this weird spot where positive reviews would garner them sales, but negative reviews would probably get them even more sales. The more wrong they do, the more cash they get. So there's no reason for it not to be reviewed except
A) reviewers know their words dont matter
B) CR doesnt want to hear all the obviously negative things.
Even if there was gameplay, which to me sounds like there isn't much of, reviewers would comment on all the negatives you see in this thread, but more officially, I suppose.

Once CIG has invented Subsumption AI, the NPCs will write the game code for the devs, exponential content growth as the floodgates open!

giphy.gif
dam-break.gif
Maybe it may come to this. FDev, going about things not super fast, but with a foot on the brakes, in case AI code does something they dont want vs. CIG haphazardly trying stuff then oops AI code vanishes from screens, to say "hello" from an outside computer. CR not so sure about claiming it.

And what makes Derek the most reliable financial guy to make these statements? Because he's a gamedev... who has made very successful games indeed! (lol) But oh well, seeing as he is the lord and saviour of the refund faithfuls, yes, now YOU are the faithfuls! (To derek, of course) I doubt this discussion is going to be fruitful at all.
May his name be hallowed and his predictions cometh true... may CIG crumble in hell... (90 days tops)

Anyway, some more predictions from me: CIG will need atleast 600 million and 3 more years to finish Star Citizen! Maybe I should start a "Bobspeak" blog´.
I dont know much about DS, but what I do know is he predicted what CR was saying back in the day couldnt be done, in the timeframe, and with the amount of money they had at the time. He was 100% right about that. I think he even had a time estimate. Thats giving CIg far more credit than others have and others have made far more dire, but most likely accurate, predictions about the whole thing. Aside from that, he probably enjoys making games, or trying to.

My estimate is 2 billion and 20 years going by what they've shilled out. Now what?

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, go back to the initial pitch. While the scope was much smaller, it was never going to be a simple game. Even back then CR was talking about the BDSSE. The space sims to end all space sims.
True. But he’d also claimed back then that “his team” was already past the prototyping stage, and would be ready for Alpha testing in a few months. All he needed was a few million and two years to fully flesh the game out with content.

Of course, we eventually found out, thanks to the Crytek lawsuit, that his “prototype” was a Cryengine machinima video made by Crytek itself. So CR was already lying through his teeth for backer’s money even in 2012. :rolleyes: But in the eyes of some, I’m sure all this lying is perfectly justified, because “the game is fun.” :rolleyes:

But in the eyes of some, I’m sure all this lying is perfectly justified, because “the game is fun.” :rolleyes:

Not lies, "risks".
"Real games" never try to do what CIG is trying to do.
"Real games" shut off all risky features (the ones that takes forever to do and with an uncertain deliverability). When it's too complex, they cut and you get a game pretty similar to what exist on the market.
That's why we fund CIG, to let a company took these riks. And for now, I already love the result.

ED for exemple is a "real game" so there is very little chance that ship interiors will be added in the game.

I remember an old fdev livestream, I think it was one of those Ed Lewis streams where people joined in open and either shot him or flew past his ship in FA off doing flips for the camera. I remember one slowly flying past behind Ed named "Derek was right" :)
There were a couple of us in that particular live stream with 'Derek was right' emblazoned on our ships...the one in question was a Ferdie-de-la-clownshoe that managed to get right in the camera shot amidst the melee of ships, can't remember now who was flying it though :D

Last edited:
Okay, the initial pitch was achievable, if not simple.

Yes, probably achievable, although not with the amount and time CR said it would require. But at that time CR was blathering on about how he could make a game for one fifth it would cost with a traditional development model, so in his head he probably thought he could make that game for around 5 million. 50 million would have been more realistic.

But then the stretch goals started....

Top Bottom