Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

There's a Tesco and Aldi in Kirkwall...but spending an entire day getting there and back on a ferry (3 hours each way) makes visiting a supermarket pure purgatory...even worse if the sea is lumpy and we have to cling on to the seats to avoid becoming onboard debris...having to take a turn on the oars is a bummer too. Orkney ferries...one step up from a longship and there's not even a complimentary helmet with horns.

Orkney...where shopping trips to the mainland usually went like this...

Does Amazon deliver to your place free of charge?

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
There's a Tesco and Aldi in Kirkwall...but spending an entire day getting there and back on a ferry (3 hours each way) makes visiting a supermarket pure purgatory...even worse if the sea is lumpy and we have to cling on to the seats to avoid becoming onboard debris...having to take a turn on the oars is a bummer too. Orkney ferries...one step up from a longship and there's not even a complimentary helmet with horns.

Orkney...where shopping trips to the mainland usually went like this...

I somehow picture the Orkneys like the Iron Born islands in Game of Thrones...

Why does this particular discussion sound soooo familiar?

At least in ED we don't have that idiotic Death of a Spaceman idea.

I like how some people are discussing whether DoaS will be some sort of deterrent to griefers. Erm... its not the griefers who are usually doing the dying.

I somehow picture the Orkneys like the Iron Born islands in Game of Thrones...

just to back up mole is not producing dreams.txt ;-) i spend 3 weeks on rousay some years ago. it changed my mind on "what is natural". for exampel the tide up there is so strong, that you can float backwards while having full wind in your sails.
i really can recommend going there. it will take you 2+ days from anywhere, which is why not a lot of tourist will do so, but you'll experience something rare, unique and mindblowing.
like going through the usual storm to the beach, where it is suddenly quiet and warm, and swim with sea lions.

to make it more on topic - places like that make me highly sceptical that any game can produce more wonders than earth, and it also tells something about our idea of extremes is often far behind the reality. which is a problem creating the even more extreme extraterrestrial worlds.

just to back up mole is not producing dreams.txt ;-) i spend 3 weeks on rousay some years ago. it changed my mind on "what is natural". for exampel the tide up there is so strong, that you can float backwards while having full wind in your sails.
i really can recommend going there. it will take you 2+ days from anywhere, which is why not a lot of tourist will do so, but you'll experience something rare, unique and mindblowing.
like going through the usual storm to the beach, where it is suddenly quiet and warm, and swim with sea lions.

to make it more on topic - places like that make me highly sceptical that any game can produce more wonders than earth, and it also tells something about our idea of extremes is often far behind the reality. which is a problem creating the even more extreme extraterrestrial worlds.
Aye, it's truly a wonderful...but wild place to live. It's also a very ancient place...there's been advanced human civilisation on these islands for over 5,500 years. The ring of Brodgar on the main island was erected 1500 years before Stonehenge, it's also the oldest recorded stone circle anywhere in Europe...maybe the first. It also predates the Egyptian pyramids by over 1,000 years. The history of these islands seeps into every pore after a while. You can't walk anywhere without tripping over Viking boat burials, Pictish burial mounds or rocks strewn with Runic writing. I even have a couple of runestones built in to the wall of my byre which was built in the 17th century....not to mention the 4,500 year old stone circle in my bottom field that I have to keep ploughing around every year :)

The ring of Brodgar. It still amazes me that no-one really knows or remembers through some genetic or racial memory what the purpose of these circles were...considering that they're found all over Europe. Humans, as a species have certainly forgotten more than we'll ever learn. The tree huggers, archaeologists and hippies like to imagine that they're some form of solar calendar or ritual site of feasting...even human sacrifice...I like to imagine the deeper purpose as a bit more practical or mundane...perhaps the first ever public urinals ;)

Last edited:
Can imagine the courier "Oh hell, its the damn a** end of nowhere again!"
We don't do couriers here either...Malcolm, my neighbour who runs a small haulage business as well as his farm picks up the courier parcels in one of his trucks from Kirkwall and they disappear into his byre for a few days until he remembers to deliver them...Amazon stuff is delivered by Linda the Viking postie straight off the morning plane. She wanders in, makes herself a cup of tea, helps herself to the biscuits and blethers for half an hour before moving on :)

We don't do couriers here either...Malcolm my neighbour picks the courier parcels up in one of his trucks from Kirkwall and they disappear into his byre for a few days until he remembers to deliver them...Amazon stuff is delivered by Linda the Viking postie straight off the morning plane. She wanders in, makes herself a cup of tea, helps herself to the biscuits and blethers for half an hour before moving on :)
Life is certainly different out there.

Anyway...back on topic :)

After the latest 3.11 patch it infuriates me that yet again refuelling and repair in stations is randomly broken...as well as a few other reappearing bugs that seem to have recurring birthdays :cautious:

It's a bit more like this...

View attachment 191713
I do envy your life. I know its remote and not cosmopolitan, but getting away from city life would be so nice. My wife would love to live in a big city like Moscow or St. Petersburg because of all the culture, but i can't think of anything worse.

I always said when i get older i want to buy a cow and a pig and breed sheep.

I'm not entirely clued up on how all this nature stuff works though.

Top Bottom