Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

Very apt as you have only pledged the bare minimum to the cause, maybe you don't have as much faith in this as you make out. How are you so sure missing tech will come one day? It's been coming for years and yet is still nowhere to be seen.

Well, if people keep pledging it is near inevitable. Imagine describing an insanely ambitious FPS development project in 1988. Imagine that by 1995 it still is nowhere close, and things like Build3D eclipse the Frankenstein version of your Catacombs engine. If you keep at it, at some point nearly all you promises will be a default feature in some freeware engine. Might be 2005, 2015 or 2025.

The real question isn't if it is possible to have 100 people together on a server and two whole star systems in-game but rather when that might happen and how the industry looks by then. Because year by year 'too ambitious' slowly devolves into 'bland and irrelevant'.

Well, if people keep pledging it is near inevitable. Imagine describing an insanely ambitious FPS development project in 1988. Imagine that by 1995 it still is nowhere close, and things like Build3D eclipse the Frankenstein version of your Catacombs engine. If you keep at it, at some point nearly all you promises will be a default feature in some freeware engine. Might be 2005, 2015 or 2025.

The real question isn't if it is possible to have 100 people together on a server and two whole star systems in-game but rather when that might happen and how the industry looks by then. Because year by year 'too ambitious' slowly devolves into 'bland and irrelevant'.

Something something infinite monkeys something Shakespear.

These devs will still be stuck with Cryengine 3 no matter how they dress it up. They will need to change engines in order to do what they want. I know nothing about game development but it makes perfect sense to me.

Though well for that Amiga 20000 post, technology kind of is here, small group of people managed to produce stand alone FPGA based solution that is way faster than any real Amiga and natively 68k compatible. Vampire V4 is stand alone FPGA Amiga with 512 mb RAM and so on....

That's the crux of it. (y)
There's no doubt hardware and libraries will keep improving and some of it will help them deliver some parts. But it won't come for free. Changing engine for example might be a net improvement in the long term, but will cost a lot in migration costs. Even free stuff like simply better hardware will only come at the cost of time and the same hardware being available to every other project, raising the bar of the industry.
For a glimpse of the effect of time, just look at ED about to implement FPS, SE/EGS doing the whole seemless thing and walking inside ships (except ships are designed/built by the player with everything functional), FS2020 taking scenery/weather tech to new levels, or UE5 demos hinting at what next-gen graphics are about to look like. If every single SC bug was fixed, and it had, say, 10 systems, even with a limit of 50 players together, it'd still be pretty relevant as of today and would get a lot of new player. But by the time they get there? There's a major question mark over what the rest of the gaming scene will be like.

Very apt as you have only pledged the bare minimum to the cause, maybe you don't have as much faith in this as you make out. How are you so sure missing tech will come one day? It's been coming for years and yet is still nowhere to be seen.
Why talk about faith ? I just like to follow the development of this game. They will succeed or fail, it will not change my life.
I give a minimum of credit to what CIG says and they seem to have sufficient funds to continue the development. A server tech will come. Perhaps not the dynamic one but at least something managing multiple servers with multiple star systems.

Who do I believe? Sean Tracy, one of SC devs, or LittleAnt, fellow anonymous internet dude?
View attachment 197746
Cool, first meme about me !

I'm a bit worried. If one day by chance IGC exceeds 100 players per server, some here will have a heart attack.
If I know about it before you, I will prepare the news by diluting it. Something like "hey guys, CIG has done some tests with 60 players" then 70, etc.
It will still be painful but there should be fewer deaths.

I am also thinking about how to announce the second system when it is ready. It's going to be tricky.
Why be worried?

Like most people here, I want SC to succeed. I want a new space game to play. Should the mythical pipelines magically come together and release the game people have given Chris Roberts approaching half a billion dollars to make, I'd be happy. Happy for them, and happy for me. Not happy enough to buy this game at full price, I'd likely buy it at half price like No Man's Sky.

I'd also be double checking to see if I woke up in an alternate universe. After all, this project has all the earmarks of being the most incompetently led game development project in history, or a scam... and incompetents don't set up elaborate Hollywood Accounting schemes to enrich themselves, their family, and friends.

But I would be happy.

I'm a bit worried. If one day by chance IGC exceeds 100 players per server, some here will have a heart attack.
If I know about it before you, I will prepare the news by diluting it. Something like "hey guys, CIG has done some tests with 60 players" then 70, etc.
It will still be painful but there should be fewer deaths.

I am also thinking about how to announce the second system when it is ready. It's going to be tricky.
Maybe also announce whenever those extra seat positions in most ships become functional, or that Caterpillar tractor beam, or that Hornet Ghost stealth cap, or that scanning seat in the MSR, etc. etc. etc. So far they are 6 years behind schedule on server meshing and global PU, and ship docking, data running, and all of the above. Think you'll still be there by 2030 ?

You maybe get confused a bit 30k per server is totally normal.....he talking about players per instance....players that you can actually see when you play SC........and yeah number
it is you that are a little confused. Maybe you don't know, but in SC there are no instances. You enter into a server that can contain at best 50 player and thats it.
30k per server is normal for other games not SC.

Why talk about faith ? I just like to follow the development of this game. They will succeed or fail, it will not change my life.
I give a minimum of credit to what CIG says and they seem to have sufficient funds to continue the development. A server tech will come. Perhaps not the dynamic one but at least something managing multiple servers with multiple star systems.

I think the problem here is what you say here doesn't match your general postings otherwise. You do seem to have a lot of faith that CIG can/will deliver on a good game in line with what they have promised and you are always keen to post about the latest news and defend CIG's actions and missteps.

it is you that are a little confused. Maybe you don't know, but in SC there are no instances. You enter into a server that can contain at best 50 player and thats it.
30k per server is normal for other games not SC.
Actually no...usually when people said server meant on game server(servers as a whole)so for example if they said we have 100.000 players on our server that usually never means that all of those player are in the same (1)server-instance not just in SC in every other game......hey listen I don't want to be devil's advocate here I just said when that guy said we have reached 30k players on our server probably meant just that......

Last edited:
ED technically speaking has pad ramming, but I don't think its possible (or easy) to do. Ships on pads have instant regen shields and i don't think can take hull damage (IIRC, FD did it this way to stop pad ramming), and the attacker will be instagibbed by station weapons.
Technically:

If youre actually landed / docked, youre safe, youre covered by the Base shields and are invincible.
While landing / taking off you can be rammed or shot.
Shooting gets a fine until you die then a bounty and then the base defences will open up on the attacker.
Ramming - if attackers speed below 100ms its an 'accident' with no penalty. If above 100ms its an 'attack' and a fine or bounty if ships destroyed.
Its not hard for a large ship to just crush a smaller noobs ship into the ground or the pad and destroy them at 20ms, just mass will crush and destroy.

So its possible to do without penalty. But its frowned upon as its asinine either way.

I do not use suicide except when I'm stuck in an asset. Meeting other people in rescue missions is part of the fun to play the alpha.

Ive driven my car off a cliff in GTA and had a 20 minutes swim back to somewhere I can can climb out.

In ED I think the closest analogy is running out of fuel. You can either wait and blow up, self-destruct or call out the Fuel Rats (Hull Seals if hull damaged). Other players have set up vast organisations that will literally come out to you anywhere in the Galaxy (50,000 LY across, 400 Billion Systems).

So in ED your 'exit' point is lost or not lost but you gonna lose it if you dont call for help....and this can mean months and months of gameplay lost at the same time....other activities are safer. If you damage your ship do you risk the hour to the Space Station or wait 2 hours for the Seals to come and help?.....

Ive never played a game that is so harsh on the player at times as ED. The ability to lose months of gameplay with one mistake or no mistake (enter a System trapped between 3 Stars and overheat to death for example)

Though if you dismiss your ship there is chance of autopilot bungling landing of the ship. It has happened even in low gravity bodies, and is more probable in high g ones.

Dont think that happens anymore, it may do but I think it was patched.

Despite nearly a decade of development, absolutely oodles of cash, and the logical and physical impossibility of this state - Star Citizen somehow manages to only be half a hole.

But its the best damn hole ever, this is no Z-hole youre talking about you know, CIG is one top-grade first-class A-hole!

Something something infinite monkeys something Shakespear.

If you put a thousand monkeys in a room with a thousand typewriters and somehow fed them and kept them alive for a thousand years......you certainly wouldn't want to go in that room afterwards.

Or something like that :) tbh I thought of the same Shakespeare proverb and wondered if CIG were actually in the process of disproving it.

A small info grabbed from the last post-mortem post

"As part of T1, we also added a UI ‘throw arc’ that allows you to see the trajectory of the grenade. While currently this is enabled for all helmets, it will only be accessible from combat helmets once we start to define different armor archetypes in the verse."

I love the idea to get special UI for combat helmets.

The idea is cool, but heaping technical debt on technical debt is not. On top of that, too many game play loops they promised. Having flight attendants mixing drinks, DJs playing music etc.

It all adds up, and the expectations keep mounting and mounting. The DREAM is going on a rampage. There is simply no way they can put all that in.

Ive driven my car off a cliff in GTA and had a 20 minutes swim back to somewhere I can can climb out.

Reminds me of the time was doing a cargo resupply offshore with my OP Mk2 and clipped a wave and sank it.

Had a 20 minute swim back to shore, ran out of time on the mission. After doing it, someone said "Why did you just EWO?" (easy way out - aka suicide). I felt so dumb. I'd have been back on shore and then took a boat or called for a replacement Mk2.

Craith

Volunteer Moderator

If you put a thousand monkeys in a room with a thousand typewriters and somehow fed them and kept them alive for a thousand years......you certainly wouldn't want to go in that room afterwards.

Or something like that :) tbh I thought of the same Shakespeare proverb and wondered if CIG were actually in the process of disproving it.
Only one way to find out ... buy an Idris!

The idea is cool, but heaping technical debt on technical debt is not. On top of that, too many game play loops they promised. Having flight attendants mixing drinks, DJs playing music etc.

It all adds up, and the expectations keep mounting and mounting. The DREAM is going on a rampage. There is simply no way they can put all that in.

And they keep doing it. At this point they really need to be reining in expectations in their media, but keep hyping it, only for the reality when things are implemented to be "Tier 0". And because its so-called Tier 0, backers can continue to believe CIG will eventually deliver on Tier 10 or whatever is neeeded to make it match what they were sold.

Problem is, most of the game that has been developed is Tier 0 and what has been developed is only a small fraction of what was promised.

No, that doesn't work if your ship is blown up, and you do that you get the rebuy screen! That only works if you are stuck on some scenery or down a hole where your ship can't land and your ship is still in one piece. It would be useful, before commenting on game mechanics, if you actually knew what they were.

Nope. Works as well when you switch from Horizons to 'vanilla' ED, even if your ships been turned into bits.

Top Bottom