Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

I don’t really disagree with your opinions much. The only thing I’d like to touch on is why people pledge for expensive ships. I can’t speak for everyone, but I personally have a good amount of money in the game not because I wanted X ship, but because I wanted to fund development because I want the game to succeed. If all I had to start out with was an aurora and 20k aUEC, I’d be fine with that.

[X] Doubt

or magic acceleration suppression for people standing inside, etc.

I know its not what you're talking about, but I would love to see Odyssey/SC/other games simulate suppression in a manner that some ArmA mods do, where it impairs your vision/reduced accuracy/speed of movement.

Give a bit of value to suppressive weapons being used properly then.

Out if good enough. But was not good enough.
Same for the Idris Attack mission. Was not good enough.

Do you know Cyberpunk 2077 ? It was also not good enough for April 16th so it has only been released September 17th. See, SC is not the only one :LOL:
What has Cyberpunk 2077 got to do with Star Citizen? I'll tell you, absolutely nothing. You are coming across as a bit desperate with that argument.

I wonder where the comparisons will jump next? When Cyberpunk is out, but both SQ42 & SC are still very much not...

Starfield maybe?

That’d fit with the cargo cult rationales. Early previews, long lead time, troubled dev, but by renowned studio. Ambitious future game...

Of course the really obvious comparison is still Duke Nukem Forever. But maybe SC needs a few more years before it realises that particular dream ;)

The multiplayer part of Cyberpunk is still lacking (2022 for what I know). We can compare SC to Cyberpunk for at least 2 years more 😁
So many questions...
How much money did CD Projekt take from you in order to make Cyberpunk 2077?
Are you saying SC could be released in 2 years?
If every backer only paid the bare minimum to Chris Roberts, would this thread even exist?

Remember when CR said that every dollar given to CIG was worth 5 dollars given to a publisher. If true, SC is already effectively the first >1 billion dollar alpha!
And to put that in the perspective of harsh reality

Since its 2013 release, R* has made a gold mine exceeding $6B USD off GTAO to date. Off an initial development cost investment of ~ $137M (no marketing) plus $128M (added marketing) for total cost $265M to make GTAV.
  • That's $291M USD in 2020 dollars adjusted for inflation for a fully mature and released 2013 last gen title. Which graphics have aged well over the last 7 years.
  • Thanks to CP2077 coming out next week, GTAO will be getting yet another shot of brand new drip feed DLC. That will undoubtedly let R* rake in yet another hundred million from this reboot of GTAO.
  • At $250M? total cost (which includes a questionable $35M? in marketing) since its 2012-2013 Kickstarter debut to date. CR bragged about a certain area on a certain planetary body being the size of Skyrim. But heck even Grand daddy Skyrim made ~$1.3B off that peasant sized real estate to date. Off an ~$85M or so it cost to make a single Micro-tech like province on a single planet world called Nirn. Even the most fanatic of the SC fan boys would be hard pressed to compete with the 61, 211 hours record set by TES gamers to date

Which--despite all the hype, controversy and drama that's built up around this delayed Dec 2020 release--appears to have cost CDPR a minimum amount in marketing:
  • To date, AA game dev CDPR is getting ready to drop CP 2077. Has been in dev since ~ 2011. Has cost CDPR some $121M in dev costs to date.
  • Like CI, is a AA dev. Unlike CI, CDPR didn't rely on begging for backer Kickstarter funds. Didn't waste budget merching game asset jpgs, because they were busy developing a REAL game.
  • Unlike SC, CDPR re-invested their profits from a existing, previously released & successful single player title aka Witcher 3 to build a brand new title. Instead of wasting it on money drain marketing and peddling scope creep.
    • Unlike SC, CDPR is now days away from its next GOTY release title.
    • Which will be a fully fleshed out, deeply complex lore driven, PLAYER CHOICE DRIVEN, non linear MQ, with deep a RPG PvE game mechanic.
    • With complex, well developed characters (translation INTELLIGENT AI NPCs that aren't so insecure, that they need to stand around on furniture asserting T pose dominance as you walk by).
    • Unlike SQ42, CP2077 will be a STABLE, open world single player across PC & console platforms.
    • At UHD fidelity level graphics.
    • With a ridiculous amount of side quest/sandbox activities.
    • And an even more ridiculous attention to world object detail.
    • All executed in a highly interactive, intelligent AI driven, and densely populated world environment.

TL; DR: CP2077 = Arc Corp on 'Roid Rage. Cost less than HALF what SC SQ42/PU has cost CI to make to date. Is on track to release on 6 days. And will likely match R* successful $6B cash cow in GTAO if CDPR pulls off the promised MMO version of the game. With what is clearly going to be a superior replay value (given CP2077's 3 primary vanilla roles alone (Kitsch, Nomad, Corpo) plus 4 RPG playstyles). Odds are CP2077 is likely going to match Skyrim's 9 year record in the industry. Heck, it's probably going surpass it if the game engine is mod friendly like Skyrim's.

This sort of irreconcilable disparity in game scope, dev cost, dev time, and the return on investment in replay value for players between these titles. Makes me wonder HTH Chris can possibly stomach looking at himself in the mirror every day. Never mind HTH he could possibly even achieve a dreamless slumber at night.... 😒

Last edited:
Last edited:
just to prove other companies are capable of the same kind of "emergent gameplay" as Star Citizen :D

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1AVLKjvqK8
I quite like Legion, didn't find many bugs in the 60 hours or so I've played it...plus Ubisoft just released a patch to address some of the bugs folks were reporting. I also didn't pay for it...it came free with my Ubisoft+ sub...as did AC Valhalla, GR Breakpoint and a few others :)

Top Bottom