Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

1611501189974.png

1611501217967.png

1611501244719.png

1611501468413.png

I love the way dreamers always use Rome and Cyberpunk to defend the project.. :ROFLMAO:

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
It's perhaps a more important tech than server meshing.

CIG has been pumping out tech terms and concepts as required to ensure the backers could develop their own stories and justifications to themselves, like you seem to be doing here.

Originally the tech that was going to be the key to acceleration of pipelines and content was Serialized Variables, and then Network Bind Culling. Then came in OCS, then SSOCS and now iCache and Server Meshing. And there is basically no need to stop the series. As long as funding keeps coming in all CIG needs to do is keep inventing whatever term they think backers may fall for at the time they need.

I would hope that with all those as historic reference, and all of it leading not only to little or no progress but rather to a reduction from 50 to 40 players and actual removal of content after all these years, that we all could agree that analyzing and lending any credibility to CIG´s own terminology and concepts, as you seem to do, is a bit ridiculous.

Last edited:
The big question is, if, or more likely when they can't get server meshing to work, are they going to tell the backers?
1611502185241.png

That's what Chris was doing for the last five years. Back in 2015, the game was almost ready:
1611502293386.png
1611503197425.png

And then it wasn't. Chris had suddenly discovered that his game lacks server foundation to properly handle more than a couple of players simultaneously. So they introduced Core Tech that will make the game work.
1611504569343.png
1611503285237.png

So they spent a couple of years making that. And then Chris had suddenly discovered that his Core Tech lacks network code to properly handle more than 50 players simultaneously. So they introduced Server Meshing that will make the Core Tech work.
1611503540471.png
1611503562413.png

So they spent a couple of years making that. And then Chris had suddenly discovered that his Server Meshing lack network code to properly handle more than 40 players simultaneously. Yes, it degraded from 50 to 40. So they introduced iCache that will make the Server Meshing work.
1611503971631.png
1611504212193.png

Now they will spend a couple of years making that, and then Chris will suddenly discover that his iCache isn't working. After that he will introduce Spanish Inquisition that will make everyone burn at stake.

But you know, in the end it is going to be awesome.
CYiJsMg.png

Buy an Idris.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApoQclYV2nw&t=2m08s

So... with the @CaptainBerks crew, we spent all day trying to do the XenoThreat mission on the PTU. Eventually we got tired of crashes and started trying to get the Javelin kill. On our last attempt, we decided to use Retaliators more than anything. It ended up looking sick but alas, most of our clients crashed while the Javelin pulled off a MASSIVE maneuver. It was reversing at full throttle into our fleet. Looking forward to getting that finishing kill eventually!

I like how he thinks that was what it was meant to do rather than just the AI throwing a wobbly.

Funny in the video when someone said that's it, i'm off to play Elite Dangerous. Yeah, it was clear they are joking, but the funny thing is, they shouldn't be.

I can do combat all day long without crashes in ED against human ships or alien ships.

The reddit thread it is from

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/l3qmux Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/l3qmux/xenothreat_javelin_has_impressive_evasive/

Someone asks

I wonder when it will be stable enough to release it to the main servers.

And the faithful reply

Seems relatively stable for what it is.

Yup, random crashes is relatively stable for SC! You heard it here first folks!

I like the dilemma in that post. The poster says
I think though it is in the players right to choose which side they prefer and support them, so I am not mad at that.
but he does get frustrated or even angry at the impossibility of the situation so who is really the target of the blame?

The other players of course.

What he proposes is the option for players to oppose a community goal but they are destined to offer addiitional resistence or difficulty at best, ultimately to fail in their efforts. He wants to do this mission so he should be successful. If he isnt than the whole design is flawed.. Strangely enough I had Sovapid in mind when I read through the "some players chose to oppose us" and I believe that he would say that his effiorts were "great fun" and a "total success".

So depending on who CiG listens to the current design is either total success or complete failure. I m about to congratulate CiG on a job well done because it gives all players equal opportunity to complete their objectives. But the reality probably is that this is the result of a half-baked attempt or inconsistent implementation. No redundancies, no back up in case player chose an unexpected route....because we are talking about CiG here ^^

And splitting players into teams or making them distinguishable from each other isnt a new thing here. Lots of games accomplished this task in the past in various forms. Somehow "CIG forgot" sounds the most plausible here ^^

Last edited:
When it comes to Star Citizen, it makes me wonder whole incompetence of developer team. I may not understand game development but well..if I had to lead such project I would at first check what are we trying to achieve? Okay, MMO space game, multiple systems and so on. Now that would mean that at first my primary focus would be on dull technical side. Build such net-code and server architecture that does NOT puke under load, and allows me to have those multiple systems and persistent player inventory. So in SC's terms that notorious icache and server meshing, plus actually when it comes to bandwidth frugallest possible over the net communication system.
I don't do game development but I do dabble in design and implementation of various net based services run over dedicated servers. SC's way of doing things is same as if I put some nice service with all the bells and whistles on server, but do not care a bit over security stuff. What I would get by that would be powned and lots of angry people :D What I actually do, is harden the server first before doing anything else. You know, basics first. Then add all the nice stuff.

Its probably Tier 0 though. Surely the Tier 10 version will see you physically transferred to a police ship. Then wait for a prison transport to arrive. Then the prison transport to transfer you to the prison.

This is the level of fidelity backers and CR want!

You have to die now to get into prison, so it is just the respawn screen. Leaving prison is a loading screen. They have said they want to replace it with something like you describe here. So getting out of prison will take 15 minutes instead of instant. Sometimes loading screens are a good thing.

A few of us from chat...most of them being the regular Star Citizen donkey wallopers I've met over the years, decided to faff about since nothing was working too well. We did mass box delivery missions in my Gemini for a bit...
Wait, what are you still doing with that useless heap of junk ? I conceive that you have an immoderate love for space cows, but the T10 is actually a good ship for several purposes, while that Gemini has really nothing going for it... no cargo space, no speed, useless in combat, and a completely non-existing gameplay loop. Thought you would have melted that one a long time ago :D
Indeed "playing" SC is having fun with the broken physics, or trying to park things into others and watch the game engine implode. I just briefly tried to connect to the PU, got a 30K after 2 minutes, then connected again, 10 minutes later another 30K, in between the desync was about 2-3 seconds (which makes anything PvP completely futile). For reference i am on a 2Gbps fiber connection with ~10ms ping. Other walking players were teleporting all around, ships were jumping from one position to another... then everything went down.

I don't do game development but I do dabble in design and implementation of various net based services run over dedicated servers.
You got it right as for the architecture, to clear things up for you, games use the same kind of technology with a few (but important) specific parts, the main one is the whole system (servers + clients) run real time, and are supposed to by synchronous (or somewhat, there are ways to manage desync in a graceful manner, but that's another topic). That means both your server and client code are running real time loops pretty much like on an RTOS if you have used that, or in other terms you have a main code loop that has to run under ~50ms if you want to achieve 20 synchronous frames per second. That means the whole game processing (AI, players, all moving objects and physics) have to be processed under 50ms, including I/O that needs to happen. That's a very strict constraint and can be addressed in various elegant ways (we could talk about Dual Universe or Infinity Battlescape here as good examples of fantastic main loop code + net code) - but it's not for beginners, and you absolutely must do that first and foremost as everything then plugs into that main loop...

Top Bottom