Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

The amusing thing is - that should CI-G somehow manage to solve the n^n-1 problem for sub 25ms latency with 100,000's of concurrent customers on a commercially available compute and distribution platform using domestic internetworking equipment and the open internet - in real time - they wouldn't just be able to release Star Citizen to the wavey hands of a beaming Genuine Roberts.

They would be the richest company on the planet.

And some people truly believe they are doing exactly that and its only a matter of time until CiG triumphs

And some people truly believe they are doing exactly that and its only a matter of time until CiG triumphs

If they do - then instantly they'll have one-upped every stock market, financial institution, insurer, payments processor and telecommunications network on Earth and inevitably, CI-G would scale to handle every single digital transaction until the end of time itself ;)

The one I remember is "the internet is full of 50yr old men pretending to be 15yr old girls and 15yr old girls pretending to be be 50yr old men"
I think the point was, you just don't know!
That analogy to me is. Horrifying. Look at Stuart GT no one would think he is an 84yr old living in his sisters loft.
Pug
Hahaha, that'd be difficult seeing as my sister lives in London while I'm up here in Lancashire (the correct side of the Pennines ;) ). My converted loft is awesome though :D

So what is the name of the tech tech that will save SC? What do we call the new messiah?
It was supposed to be iCache, i think... But that's scrapped now.
They are now starting a 1+ year cycle with a new fancy acronym. Again promising some sort of "server meshing" and "player count increase" at the end. They have said so for more than 6 years now, almost every year, it was "just around the corner". So i guess that's the new messiah ("PSSM" i believe ?). Oh and they are starting from zero: early days...

Here's a weird thing, first in a game for me. I changed the detail to High from Low and it smoothed out.
I think it forced the graphic card to take more of the memory load and freed up the processor. It's the only way that I can think that that change would work.

I missed a . It was 15.8 :(
Pug

Not sure if you know, but there is a running joke around here that goes "never been done before!" Due to how backers like to claim CIG are doing stuff that has never been done before despite plenty of evidence showing it has been done before.

So, increasing graphics quality improves performance? Never been done before! Another first for CIG!

The amusing thing is - that should CI-G somehow manage to solve the n^n-1 problem for sub 25ms latency with 100,000's of concurrent customers on a commercially available compute and distribution platform using domestic internetworking equipment and the open internet - in real time - they wouldn't just be able to release Star Citizen to the wavey hands of a beaming Genuine Roberts.

They would be the richest company on the planet.
They would win a nobel prize for the new physics.

Ship Interior/Exterior Culling

When complete, the game engine will no longer render the interiors and exteriors of ships when not required.

From the roadmap.

Seriously? 9 years in and they still haven't implemented this? I though this was baked into just about any engine?!

Ouch:

redlir.jpg

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
The fact remains that in that case these people still expect something for their money. Its not like they were thinking "I know...I ll just give these 3000 dollars to CiG, those guys can use it for sure, here CiG just take it no need to give anything back". Regardless if its really disposable income or just internet talk its their money and what they do with their money is not at question here. I can wonder about their decision but ultimately I have no say in how others spend their money.

Nah man, if you bought in with any of the latter versions of the ToS you should know that you have basically waved all your rights to expect or demand anything. Caveat emptor.

You agree that any unearned portion of your Pledge Funds shall not be refundable until and unless RSI has ceased development and failed to deliver the relevant Pledge Item(s) to you. In consideration of the promises by RSI hereunder, you agree that you irrevocably waive any claim for a refund of your Pledge Funds except as set forth in the preceding sentence.

For the avoidance of doubt, following the Cancelation Period, in consideration of RSI’s good faith efforts to develop, produce, and deliver the Game and the other RSI Services with the funds raised, you agree that all earned Pledge Funds shall be non-refundable regardless of whether or not RSI is able to complete and deliver the Pledge Item(s), the Game and/or the other RSI Services. In the unlikely event that RSI is not able to deliver the Pledge Item(s), and/or the Game, RSI agrees to refund any unearned portion of your Pledge Funds, and to post an audited cost accounting on the Website to fully explain the use of the funds raised for the Game Cost.

😋

Last edited:
I would agree that people put money in and expect something back.

I would liken this to a Pannini football sticker collector. The completed sticker collection is the goal (dreams.txt). You start wanting to collect certain players (ships) then you want to complete specific teams (group of ships) and then you want to have the full set (completionist ships package). Each sticker pack (ccu upgrade) comes with a hope that it will offer that missing sticker for whatever goal you have. At some point you start swapping cards with friends (org game play with other peoples ships).

I collected a couple of sets as a teenager, I remember the thrill of the next sticker pack and suddenly having friends I never had before, because I had the sticker (ship) they wanted. My father (the skeptic) considered it an utter waste of time and pointless and today I would agree with him, but it sure was fun at the time. The skeptic doesn't see that almost drug like draw that the believer sees.

Nah man, if you bought in with any of the latter versions of the ToS you should know that you have basically waved all your rights to expect or demand anything. Caveat emptor.

I like this part

You agree that any unearned portion of your Pledge Funds shall not be refundable until and unless RSI has ceased development and failed to deliver the relevant Pledge Item(s) to you.

Just one small problem. If RSI (erm? RSI? Shouldn't that be CIG? Or is this just very cleverly worded to ensure nobody can ever get refunds), stops development, there won't be any money to refund to people anyway. Its not like CIG have kept all pledged money in reserve for stuff they haven't delivered on.

View attachment 205908
View attachment 205909
Someone mentioned Odyssey in an SC comment section. They got annihilated by 50+ replies from people who apparently think rationally because they're not on the "hate train". :ROFLMAO:

I think what they fail to do is follow on with their own logic. With the near infinite scope of the project it will take near infinite time to complete :p

And ED has less content than SC? What is that guy smoking?

Top Bottom