Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
In ED you can change your name for free without wiping your save by contacting FDEV support once. Or you can change by wiping your save, in this case it's limitless and free.

Apparently you can actually do it multiple times for free: https://customersupport.frontier.co...11919599-Can-I-change-my-Commander-name-on-PC

Not for ever or willy nilly though. FDEV states also that "repeated name change requests may result in your existing name being locked in place, with no option to adjust it in the future."

Now, in over 7 years since I started playing I have not felt the need to change my commander name, but who knows. Good to know that the few times I may need it I can do it not even for 5 bucks but for free.

Last edited:
What are you Holy Moleying? The fact that in Elite you can only change your name one time?

In SC you can change your name once for free, and unlimited times after that for five bucks.

Ah! I wasn't aware you could do it once for free in SC as well.

Quiet surprising really CIG offer that when they can charge for it.

Have i mentioned that my opinion of CIG is below that of EA? I tend to assume the worst. :p

Apparently you can actually do it multiple times for free: https://customersupport.frontier.co...11919599-Can-I-change-my-Commander-name-on-PC

Not for ever or willy nilly though. FDEV states also that "repeated name change requests may result in your existing name being locked in place, with no option to adjust it in the future."

Now, in over 7 years since I started playing I have not felt the need to change my commander name, but who knows. Good to know that the few times I may need it I can do it not even for 5 bucks but for free.

Nice to know.

I wonder if i can change it to Ivor Biggun. :p

• Like (+1)
Reactions: Pug
I've kept the same Xbox gamertag and in game handle for over 20 years...it's always been either Mole HD on Xbox live, Steam, Elite, Discord ...or anything else I play or use or just Mole in the case of Star Citizen. Can't see me ever changing it now :)

What are you Holy Moleying? The fact that in Elite you can only change your name one time?

In SC you can change your name once for free, and unlimited times after that for five bucks.

One of the differences between ED and SC and indeed most other games is that the player names get attached to in game objects that other players can see, stars, planets and eventually first footfalls, because of that you can't reuse a name and you can't have two players with identical names, so the name pool is limited. For instance my CMDR name is currently attached to over 30,000 systems and very many more planets, moons and asteroid belts. Some well know players have over 100,000 first discoveries to their names, so another player getting their name, even if the player in question has stopped playing, would cause issues with some unscrupulous players trying to piggyback on other players achievements and notoriety.

So the fact that there is a limited number of times you can change you name is simply a reflection of the greater identity investment a player can have in ED compared to SC.

Exactly, changing names isn't a casual thing to do in ED and FDEV need to limit changes for changes sake to protect the available name pool.

One of the differences between ED and SC and indeed most other games is that the player names get attached to in game objects that other players can see, stars, planets and eventually first footfalls, because of that you can't reuse a name and you can't have two players with identical names, so the name pool is limited. For instance my CMDR name is currently attached to over 30,000 systems and very many more planets, moons and asteroid belts. Some well know players have over 100,000 first discoveries to their names, so another player getting their name, even if the player in question has stopped playing, would cause issues with some unscrupulous players trying to piggyback on other players achievements and notoriety.

So the fact that there is a limited number of times you can change you name is simply a reflection of the greater identity investment a player can have in ED compared to SC.
I think you'll find it's tied to the user account in both ED and SC rather than just player achievements. I know the Frontier account login and commander name are different in most cases, but it's exactly the same format in SC, the player 'handle' is tied to your account in the same way. I kinda like my handle...I also like that other players recognise it when they meet me online, no matter what I'm playing ;)

Actually, its also kind of interesting in relation to SC, since there is this whole Death of a Spaceman business as well. So there will be different characters (successor characters) with the same names as their predecessors. Why hasn't there been anyone screaming "muh immurshun" over this?

I think you'll find it's tied to the user account in both ED and SC rather than just player achievements.

In most the user name is separate from the player name so you can change player names easily or have multiple player names, but your user name for logging into the game is always the same, but there are very few games where the actual player name gets attached to objects in game, such as first discoveries and codex discoveries in ED, in fact I can't think of any, and I think that makes a major difference in the way player names are treated by FDEV compared to other games.

I've kept the same Xbox gamertag and in game handle for over 20 years...it's always been either Mole HD on Xbox live, Steam, Elite, Discord ...or anything else I play or use or just Mole in the case of Star Citizen. Can't see me ever changing it now :)

I've only been Agony for about 15 years now. For a long time before that I was Loki or Loki with some numbers afterwards. But then Marvel released the Thor films and the internet also became a more popular place and it became harder and harder to actually get Loki as a name on forums. So when i created an alt name when i became a DM/dev for a NWN2 server (basically to keep my player account separate from my DM account) I decided to start using the Agony name for everything going forward.

Gonna park SC for a while again now, it is kinda frustrating sometimes I done a take down the sentinels mission which for me was pretty difficult as the mechanics were different from ED but managed it none the less with a couple of upgrades. Shoulda fitted all lasers to.

I get back - jump out my ship and my helmet had miraculously come of and I choked to death before the helmet would initialise. I usually check to.
Good old SC, I'll give it another year or 8 :)

Now, do I ignore my annoyance with Fdev making carriers have off line upkeep and just buy one or wait for Odyssey and in the mean time start a new quest with No Mans Lie?
Sorry Sky.
Pug

Top Bottom