Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

How can you reach any form of conclusion from a pre-alpha work in progress at the very earliest stages of development that will be subject to innumerable changes as various pipelines come onstream?
Good point and very well put.
I would argue, like it has been said many times before, that it's down to where you base the variance in the pipelines.

Good point and very well put.
I would argue, like it has been said many times before, that it's down to where you base the variance in the pipelines.
Both have their good bits...from the perspective of being a long term player of both games. I would suggest that some unholy union of the best bits of both would, in all seriousness, create a game I would probably never leave ;)

Last edited:
Also we have to consider these caves are 100% hand crafted, at great expense. Going even further from the famous dreams.txt of procedural generation....
Not 100%. They are formed by massive 'rooms' (tunnel sections, mini caves, pits, parts of big cave, etc) connected to each other.
Don't know if those rooms are manually or procedurally placed.

Not 100%. They are formed by massive 'rooms' (tunnel sections, mini caves, pits, parts of big cave, etc) connected to each other.
I remember the design team talking of some form of procedural generation 'in the future' when they designed and implemented them...but I suspect that Surefoot is correct in suggesting they are...for the moment..100% hand crafted and placed as POI's.

i6dSxUU.jpg

If anyone managed to find me 'roid mining out in the Aaron Halo belt I would be shocked and stunned...not everyone is daft enough to go mining space rocks at Yela 200 yards from Grim Hex :D
Why is the player getting out of the ship to mine the asteroid? ( I haven't watched the video ).

I remember the design team talking of some form of procedural generation 'in the future' when they designed and implemented them...but I suspect that Surefoot is correct in suggesting they are...for the moment..100% hand crafted and placed as POI's.
I've made around 20 "missing person" missions and you find some identifiable 'rooms' pretty easily almost in each cave. The most easy to identify are a pit with a specific pattern to get out and one low tunnel where you have to crawl. Also the trench in the big cave is easily recognisable.

Hand crafted rooms connected together by hand is 100% hand crafted. We'd know if they were procedural because there would be caves sticking out above the planet surface, or intersecting each other, or all sorts of other artifacts like with everything that's a technical challenge and not a trivial asset task that CIG attempts.

Hand crafted rooms connected together by hand is 100% hand crafted. We'd know if they were procedural because there would be caves sticking out above the planet surface, or intersecting each other, or all sorts of other artifacts like with everything that's a technical challenge and not a trivial asset task that CIG attempts.
Yes, the 'rooms' have been hand crafted like everything in SC. Each cave use this rooms connected to each others and a same room can be found in several caves. SC is not a voxel game like NMS or Astroneer.

Why is the player getting out of the ship to mine the asteroid? ( I haven't watched the video ).

New mining mechanic where you can attach something to the asteroid that makes it possible to break asteroid.

For the asteroids that a single prospector cant handle on its own.

I've made around 20 "missing person" missions and you find some identifiable 'rooms' pretty easily almost in each cave. The most easy to identify are a pit with a specific pattern to get out and one low tunnel where you have to crawl. Also the trench in the big cave is easily recognisable.

Same with the caves in prison.

Top Bottom