Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

As far as I know SC has not been stated or labelled as Early Access yet. Not even by CIG eventhough CR has hinted a couple times to the possibility. In fact one of the main premises of SC solid backing and funding was that it could take all the time it needed to deliver a complete and final game without the need for Early Access. Many a backer is on record stating as much all the while deriding any other Early Access or incomplete released game. It would be very awkward for those if SC was launched by CIG as Early Access.

Also, reviews. I would at least expect Polygon to review Star Citizen if it was in Early Access.

I think that is fair. I would imagine Polygon is not the only outlet that would review SC if it was in Early Access. This is possibly one of the reasons CIG is not stating SC as such. At least not yet.

So what is it then if it wasn't early access?

Whatever you like. The term is used and abused so 🤷‍♂️ . But, as mentioned, actual Early Access release games regularly get gaming press reviews and scores. That would be a good test.
I think there was already quite the shill press pieces about SC. It is playable of what's there and it's playable in unfinished version. That's good enough for me to call it a early access model. Don't need no gaming press for that.

In court they effectively argued they had released a product. Its released when they need it to be released, its alpha when they need it to be alpha.

Also CR, when questioned about a 1.0 release said "what release? we are on 3.0 soon" (or words to that effect).
SC supporters will always come up with something to brush any negativity off. Even if CR confessed to swindeling half the funding, they'll probably say he deserved the money.

So what is it then if it wasn't early access?
A paid membership to an exclusive club. A vetted community of like minded people who share the same dreams.

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
I think there was already quite the shill press pieces about SC. It is playable of what's there and it's playable in unfinished version. That's good enough for me to call it a early access model. Don't need no gaming press for that.
Be my guest of course. Why do you think not even CIG calls it Early Access explicitly? Never mind selling it with that description label formally?

What if I said ED was on sale for $15 and the cockpits are great for walking around in?
I'd say I already knew that except you can't walk about in the cockpits. I've been back playing Elite in the time I haven't been able to log in to SC ;)

Since fixed what was preventing it from loading however...it magically fixed itself without a patch. It was something in my profile sub folder that was making it crash...although I routinely
deleted my USER folder when I had issues, I automatically replaced the profile folder from a backup since that's where all my keybinds are kept...I now have to go and rebind all my HOTAS bindings of course...but it's working at least.

Last edited:
Be my guest of course. Why do you think not even CIG calls it Early Access explicitly? Never mind selling it with that description label formally?
They still label it as "pledge" to suggest it's all benevolent and what. Tax is applied - it is a sale though. We need not follow their labelling practices - they give early access to their pre-release builds and unfinished versions.

CIG looking for a lead producer who has shipped at least 2 games.

CIG to date have shipped 0 games.

Yes... i can see why they would like to hire someone who knows how to ship games.

Source: https://twitter.com/CloudImperium/status/1277645817084403713?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1277645817084403713%7Ctwgr%5E&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fforums.somethingawful.com%2Fshowthread.php%3Fthreadid%3D3898069userid%3D0perpage%3D40pagenumber%3D910

Also, is this more fuel for the speculation that CR has been pushed aside or trying to get out? What is the point of having a lead producer role if everything is still being decided by Chris?

LP: "So, we need to focus on getting this finished now"
CR: "No. More fidelity!"

CIG looking for a lead producer who has shipped at least 2 games.

CIG to date have shipped 0 games.

Yes... i can see why they would like to hire someone who knows how to ship games.

Source: https://twitter.com/CloudImperium/status/1277645817084403713?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1277645817084403713%7Ctwgr%5E&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fforums.somethingawful.com%2Fshowthread.php%3Fthreadid%3D3898069userid%3D0perpage%3D40pagenumber%3D910

Also, is this more fuel for the speculation that CR has been pushed aside or trying to get out? What is the point of having a lead producer role if everything is still being decided by Chris?

LP: "So, we need to focus on getting this finished now"
CR: "No. More fidelity!"
What is the job of a lead producer ?

Top Bottom