Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

I spent a bit of time in the latest PTU build tonight for a change...did a fair bit of mining since the scanners now work. They've also fixed the vanishing asteroids so I went and mined some space rocks too, just because I could.

After that, I tried chucking the Caterpillar around in atmo on Daymar just to see what the flight model had done to it. It felt properly heavy and sluggish...as it should... but not nearly as bad I had thought it would be considering it has no VTOL thrusters. All in all it's better than the last effort at a flight model...for me at any rate.

After that, I tried chucking the Caterpillar around in atmo on Daymar just to see what the flight model had done to it. It felt properly heavy and sluggish...as it should... but not nearly as bad I had thought it would be considering it has no VTOL thrusters. All in all it's better than the last effort at a flight model...for me at any rate.

Cool. Do try an upside-down descent at some point and tell us how it reacts though ;)

It would be similar to a switch from dx11 to dx12. Which happened, in some well documented instances. And the gains were marginal at best, and otherwise within margins of error, we're certainly not talking a miracle 15fps transformed into magical 60fps here.
For a heavily graphic game with a documented refactor of the code ? Please share the source.
The only switchs I know were simple ones with no refactor (direct access gpu + multithread rework).

Removing of Greycat FPS Multi-Tool Cutting Attachment card on the roadmap.
Greycat Miner has been killed
Just another proof that you don't really follow the development of the game.

Greycat ROC (miner) has never been on the roadmap. Its card can't be removed because it doesn't exist.

This tool has nothing to do with the Greycat ROC or mining...
It's for a new gameplay mechanics.

Last edited:
There is this little thing called reality that sometimes gets in the way of high minded ideals. Depending on your skillset its not always easy to jump ship, especially if you have family, kids at school, need the income, and maybe the person is just cynical enough to remain at their job to get the wage even knowing what problems exist, because hell, its a salary.

@Ben Parry - if you are still lurking, do i remember correctly that at least part of your stated reason for joining CIG was due to location? (not invalidating any other reasons you might have - desire to work for CIG, opportunities, etc.)
In hind sight, getting a job at CIG could be perfect, stready paycheck, deadlines mean nothing. Could take your time, like 8 years to work on some features, nod and smile to the big man when he comes by.

Boo, splitters! 🤬

s6iCDic.gif

...although it's not the buggy that's been killed, just the additional mining attachments/mining heads to fit to it :)

These 5 seconds of footage still make me go ROFL, its simply hilarious, thanks for that :)

Ok, this gave me a chuckle.

An excerpt from a very long post by a backer defending pay 2 win of SC (saying its not P2W).

I personally own something like 29 ships. I have spent something like $6000 obtaining them, perhaps you own more - but this is what I've spent. I have in no way located a win state in owning any of them. My most expensive fighter - for example, is the Esperia Blade; widely considered among the worst light fighters in the game. It's slow, with a hull made of tissue paper, and weaponry that your average Aurora laughs at. In fact, a Freelancer or Cutlass are both well positioned to dominate the Blade - at 25% of the cost. So why did I buy it? Because I enjoyed the aesthetic and I wanted to have it.

But, lets look toward the top of my fleet to see if any win might be hiding there... If we look at it, we see a Polaris, a Carrack, a few Hercules, and a Gemini. Wow right? Nope. Total cost. I can't fly most any of these vessels in any form of an operational capacity. I require associations and large, constant infusions of cash. I have to work, invest in relationships, invest in the title - every day, or very close to it - simply in order to obtain ANY return on my substantial investment. In fact, I'm receiving virtually no return on the majority of my money because to this day, not only is there no actual 'game', no valid multiplayer mechanics in that non-existent game. I cannot contract players, employ them, assign them work, roles, access - or even retain control of my ship should they decide to gently caress around for the lulz.

So, in short, he's saying he's spent 6000 dollars on ships, some of which he will barely be able to fly without a lot of grinding and people with him (of course, this still remains to be seen, remember NPC crew and NPCs being indistinguishable from players right?).

In his P2W defense, he's basically saying he bought White Elephants.

Ok, this gave me a chuckle.

An excerpt from a very long post by a backer defending pay 2 win of SC (saying its not P2W).

So, in short, he's saying he's spent 6000 dollars on ships, some of which he will barely be able to fly without a lot of grinding and people with him (of course, this still remains to be seen, remember NPC crew and NPCs being indistinguishable from players right?).

In his P2W defense, he's basically saying he bought White Elephants.

It's not P2W because there is no game so you can't win is certainly an unusual take. 😮

LOL, you just said Stuart doesn't follow the development of the game? Dude... do you want to go for "You just don't understand game development" next?
Perhaps he only follows closely the refund reddit...
Confusing the Greycat ROC rover with a new attachement coming with gameplay for the Greycat PYR speaks a lot.
And it leads to give false informations.
The card talks about a toolgun and he gives you the information that the mining rover is gone...
Greycat is just a brand. Greycat makes the PTV, ROC, PYR multi-tool.

Last edited:
Perhaps - but first, Genuine Roberts needs to invent kickstarter.
Don't get ahead of things. And things are Holy Roberts found the universe not up to his standards, now he's busy redoing it himself.
But crunch only matters if there is a well defined milestone/goal. It's done when it's done metality is a godsend to game developers.
Clearly you don't understand game development. "Crunch till midnight" is very well defined milestone.

Perhaps he only follows closely the refund reddit...
Confusing the Greycat ROC rover with a new attachement coming with gameplay for the Greycat PYR speaks a lot.
And it leads to give false informations.
The card talks about a toolgun and he gives you the information that the mining rover is gone...
Greycat is just a brand. Greycat makes the PTV, ROC, PYR multi-tool.
Didn't I just mention that a few posts ago?...Even put an amusing .gif in it ;)

There is this little thing called reality that sometimes gets in the way of high minded ideals. Depending on your skillset its not always easy to jump ship, especially if you have family, kids at school, need the income, and maybe the person is just cynical enough to remain at their job to get the wage even knowing what problems exist, because hell, its a salary.
The reality of it is that it's been almost a full decade of this, covering all kinds of highs and lows in all kinds of industries and where CI¬G has chosen to plant its spores is also where others have chosen to expand. I'm sure enterprise Java is still an all-consuming yawning chasm for those with this particular skillset. :p

As for the cynics, they're exactly the ones who choose to join in the soup-peeing simply because they get paid to. They know they're untrustworthy and they're fine with that since that's what they get paid to be so no harm done there.

Didn't I just mention that a few posts ago?...Even put an amusing .gif in it ;)
Well, let's face it: he's not exactly know for reading other people's posts all that closely…

But crunch only matters if there is a well defined milestone/goal. It's done when it's done metality is a godsend to game developers.

I'm picturing a Ferris Buellers Day Off esq scenario where Chris comes a calling for a progress update and someone has a pre recorded message with furious typing on a keyboard samples on a loop. "Sorry I can't come to the door right now, I am in the middle of a code stomp for never been done before title Star Citizen by Chris Roberts and in my weakened condition could take a nasty spill down the stairs subjecting myself to further work absences". Ensue crazy movie where Chris Roberts is like the principal just trying to catch his coder sleeping or not working while working from home with corona. Probably be more fun than the game and Chris could play himself.

Last edited:
Top Bottom