Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

CMDRK over on SA mirrors my early thoughts on SC precisely.

Oh gods, the loving Helmet.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TWQFSzQyeM#t=15s

This right here is the thing that made me despise Star Citizen and its dumb fans. The crowd going absolutely insane, the energy of the room in 2014, and the dumb no clip hangar simulator we have today. Then they crash the ship, run through the long and annoying animation again, and the crowd goes EVEN MORE WILD.

Someone doesn't understand fidelity development

Thing is, it seems as though CIG will end up going for an MVP eventually.

One reply:

I would rather they took the 5-10 years to get closer to full featured than tried to push something out within 2

Bahwahahahaaaaaaa. Close to full feature in 5-10 years. Has he not seen everything CR said yes to?

Since the cargo areas are topical, someone asks what is their point and why did CIG dodge the number 1 question they are being asked.

Give new ship, because that is the most important thing of all right?

Interesting to see some backers are not misunderstaning what CIG mean when they talk about 1000s of players on a server

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/jchn5f Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/jchn5f/when_cig_says_server_meshing_will_make_it/

But some still failing to follow through and understand what this means for gameplay. Like you get a 50 crew Idris coming in, that could be the whole of what the particular instance can take.

Its also contrdictory to what has been the creed for years, that SC will be able to have everyone in a single area visible to each other, not like that really bad game Elite Dangerous which doesn't do fidelity and people get split off into seperate instances.. SC won't do that!

But it will.

Just another example of how dreams.txt ends up tunring into reality.txt when things start getting implemented.

French bread pizzas...food of the gods.

My wife just made me some for an afternoon snack...2 halves of French baguette spread with tomato puree, sliced red, green and yellow peppers, a few slices of pepperoni, drizzle of olive oil then topped with some grated mozzarella cheese and shoved under the grill for a couple of minutes...they were always a favourite of our kids when they were young...pure awesomeness :)

Findus I presume?

1602919873289.png

I had fond memories of walking around Bejams frozen food lockers looking for them (which was like walking around the 2001 Space Odyssey set).

Out of interest, why is it when I click on the latest post I get sent back a few pages? I feel like I'm trapped in some 30K time warp nightmare...

Interesting article (looks like it was mainly written to promote Star Citzen though... or that Star Citizen is the only thing they could really mention that was a really big game)
Gamasutra posted a list last year of the most used engines, Lumberyard isn't on it:
The article though highlights a lot of issues with Lumberyard and why it is probably a nightmare for CIG to work with.
CIG aren't using the Lumberyard Engine software though, only the licence: Star Citizen is built on CryEngine 3.6.4, while Lumberyard is based on a fork of CryEngine 3.8. One of Ortwin's filings during the CIG vs Crytek court case told us this.

Could Squadron 42 be built on Lumberyard? Who knows... maybe Crytek know?

CIG are geniuses with this in-game event.

All the ganking they've inspired will result in a ton of PvE-only whales desperate to buy more powerful ships and UEC (for upgrades) in the November sale, in the mistaken belief the new stuff will help protect them.

Pay2Win wallet gouging through fear.

sXWbx1L.gif

CIG are geniuses with this in-game event.

All the ganking they've inspired will result in a ton of PvE-only whales desperate to buy more powerful ships and UEC (for upgrades) in the November sale, in the mistaken belief the new stuff will help protect them.

Pay2Win wallet gouging through fear.

sXWbx1L.gif

some of the whales....

uVZarEO.png

Do you reckon these people ever read back what they wrote and think about what they just said?:

"I would rather they took the 5-10 years to get closer to full featured than tried to push something out within 2. I believe that sort of early release would be a disaster. With new players coming in to finally check out what was released, and a PR hyped up media coming in to review, only to find a bare bones game still missing most of it's promised features. It would be labeled a failure, and rightfully so, and the cries "it's alpha" would no longer be applicable. While they might make some short term profits from increased sales, I don't think they or any good will would last. I think they stand to make a lot more money by getting far closer to what they have talked about."

You have to remember that these people aren't able to figure out that it has been 5–10 years already and that in spite of that it has come no nearer to being full-featured. Thinking isn't their strong suit. Reading probably isn't either.

That Cargo Deck AA link is an absolute gold mine:

Fidelity loses its shine:

"Another example on how CIG is good at modelling locations more than creating gameplay. "

"No the problem is that we weren't given any details on HOW they would work which is what people want to know.
Ooh pretty look cargo. Great! How does this all work? What are we actually going to do here? Details of intended functionality? "

"I watched a 78 minute SQ42 video which was just a fly through of an empty space station environment. No indication of what actual gameplay takes place there, no actual mechanics or demonstration of the intended mechanics ... just "wow, look at how cool this looks, hey... that looks like a good place to hide ... and over there, this thing could maybe go up and down, that could be really fun".

"That's what I get from all of this, having observed and listen to CIG try and explain their plans for this game over 8 years... they are wrapped up in what they think the game will look like while playing it, preconceived scenario's and bits of narrative, but they don't actually know what mechanics they'll create to actually support and drive the physical design of the game itself. "

Speaking to NPCs is now Social Gameplay, who needs other Players in this MMO?:

"Interacting with the crew on the Idris in SQ42. There are a lot of characters and you can play the relationship game. "

Some basic truths starting to be realised as the evidence mounts up:

"There's no programming, no new gameplay, just a location with a solid 95% of it being done by the art team. "

"Details on what the intended gameplay loops involved in these areas and how they will work is what is being asked for. "

"I genuinely believe that CIG don't plan that far ahead. Gameplay always seems to be an afterthought. "

iCache doesnt seem to hold the same awe as it did:

"right now there is no function, because the dependencies for actual physical cargo management are not met.
we're spinning in circles, because the answer is: iCache needs to be done.

It's gonna be the same with the refinery decks - they also need iCache for further gameplay. "

"That is the new answer for everything. We will see what the next one is after iCash*. "

"Server Meshing. "

"Nothing new. There were Jesus Techs before Icache and Servermshing and there will be Jesus Techs after them. "

An old friends makes a late appearance but gets shot down, again, doesnt seem to deflect as easily:

"Staggered development means that certain features are live before other features. The location was finished before the mechanics were finished. Mechanics will arrive in the future when they are done, but since the location is done now, they gave it to us absent of the mechanics.

"
Staggered Development is a meme. You're trying to tell me that since the release of 3.9, this is all they were able to get done? That makes it even worse. You also didn't seem to read the part where I clearly say it takes seconds to implement a template, prefab, or whatever they call their components into these areas. Literally seconds. "

And overall, this response sums it up:

"Except that no where have the devs explicitly stated that. For all intents and purposes we have less information than if they had introduced a frozen yogurt stand with a closed sign. But yay! Milestone! "

Findus I presume?

View attachment 191639

I had fond memories of walking around Bejams frozen food lockers looking for them (which was like walking around the 2001 Space Odyssey set).

Out of interest, why is it when I click on the latest post I get sent back a few pages? I feel like I'm trapped in some 30K time warp nightmare...
Never even knew they came in packets :D

We don't do a lot of packet food in our house...no supermarkets or Iceland to buy them from in the first place, that... and my wife buys ingredients, not meals made by someone else. She even baked the French bread ;)

Never even knew they came in packets :D

We don't do a lot of packet food in our house...no supermarkets or Iceland to buy them from in the first place, that... and my wife buys ingredients, not meals made by someone else. She even baked the French bread ;)

I make my bread too these days, but when I was young these lurid packets were irresistible and full of dangerous colours and preservatives :D

Top Bottom