Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

A very passionate argument from you, I’ve read more of those here. Then I launch the game and see something else.
Doesn't change the fact that it works that way and that it is a horrendously stupid solution that no-one else has been dumb enough to even attempt. Nor does it change the fact that this is exactly what the game and videos of it will show you, whether you choose to remain wilfully ignorant of it or not.

1610519864782.png

Congratulations, you are a cat!

From SA where it was quoted from elsewhere:
I had a real life friend tried to convince me that Star Citizen is good now...

I have a burner account so I logged in for him to show me "how cool 3.12 is". He knows I do grey market refunds but he tried his hardest to prove there is a light at the end of the tunnel. He was right. It was the bright flash of a 30k error as our train was about to get to the space port.

So we joined a new server and I followed him around as he mined and got glitched through a planet twice. Followed him around as he disconnected trying to get to refinery. All in glorious 35 fps on my 2080ti system. Some things looked cool and yes there were brief flashes of "cool".

He was composed and civil the whole time, we've been friends for ever so he's not some brain dead cultist, we joked around and laughed at the idiots theory crafting in chat.

As I said he's not a cultist but he has faith - he did sink $450 into this swamp over 8 years.

But 40 minutes in his voice began to crackle. He was frustrated. I told him hey man, yeah it's not so bad.

He replied with:

"My character is about to die. See I've played yesterday trying to mine and lost everything but I guess my hydration didn't reset."

I was like what? You mean your character is about to die because you're thirsty?

"Yeah I can't seem to drink, it's not letting me. My grenade is making it impossible to drink. "

So take it off? There is a row of bottle things right here.

"I can't it's not letting me, I'm almost out of moisture"

That's what she said.

"Nervous laughter" " "OMG I did it I'm gonna drink this."

Cool, ok so we done or what?

"Ugh I need food, why doesn't this pizza place doesn't sell food", "no en food at the noodle place either".

Dude, what the gently caress are you talking about. This is a space sim just turn off the food thing.

"You can't"

Ohh yeah I remember, its no longer just fluff now right? It will actually kill you.

"Yeah I'm dead."

Does your idris have food on it?

"I don't have an idris"

Found your problem.

We laughed at the game, and he still has some hope but he sure wishes he didn't spend as much as he did. But he also told me he has coworkers who just discovered the game and are buying up the ships like mad. Like hundreds of dollars worth a year. In 2020, people still "find the game" and despite overwhelming evidence that it's neck deep in development hell and incompetence - they keep spending.

So the moral of the story is: for everyone who snaps out of it because their character starved to death next to a pizza with a million credits in their account - there is another sucker who buys a jpg.
And you know what? While I hadn't paid CRobber a penny, I really wanted SC to succeed, so I can buy it and play it. But this food and drink thing... I don't want it anymore.

Anyway, moving on to some other game:

Last edited:

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
People who dug into the engine discovered it half a decade ago; CI¬G's own documentation confirmed it.

Just curious, do you have those digging links handy? Are those the xml related files from long ago?

As for CIG´s own documentation I presume you mean John Pritchett´s own account before he left / was dismissed, correct? I indeed remember he describing a system originally intended to actually produce reasonable physics but that in the end proved not to be too practical and quite hard to balance properly for decent gameplay, and ended up forcing the expected results for each ship through that "physics" system instead of just simply faking it like many other games. A sort of completely unnecessary and convoluted code travesty if you wish.

Last edited:
Just curious, do you have those digging links handy? Are those the xml related files from long ago?

As for CIG´s own documentation I presume you mean John Pritchett´s own account before he left / was dismissed, correct? I indeed remember he describing a system originally intended to actually produce reasonable physics but that in the end proved not to be too practical and quite hard to balance properly for decent gameplay, and ended up forcing the expected results for each ship through that "physics" system instead of just simply faking it like many other games. A sort of completely unnecessary and convoluted code travesty if you wish.
Most of it is so old by now that I wouldn't even know what thread to start digging in. This is all 2016–2017 stuff iirc — maybe earlier still — and a fair amount of the gory details are from discords and old forums and other side-channels where CI¬G's devs discuss the matter with some of the few actual testers in the community.

Pritchett's design document is an important part of it, yes, especially as far as describing some of the background and intent behind the whole mess, but he's really too dry and analytical and game-focused to get to the real lol. :p

…things like, one of the reasons the original more fly-by-wire-based concept didn't work was because it still relied on such complexities as mass, forces, acceleration, and this went over the head of the poor souls who were meant to populate all those parameters. So instead, they black-boxed the whole thing, abstracted it down to goal times and backwards-physics to make sure that single parameter was met at all times.

I used to joke that it'd be released in 2018 and backers would laugh at how ridiculous that was.

So many times i was shouted down and insulted for daring to suggest SC wouldn't be released until after 2020.

And for any historical revisionists who might be present in this thread, this was even after they changed to doing fully landable planets.

But anyway, we know release will be in current_year+2. Its not CIG's fault current_year increments every year!

And you know what? While I hadn't paid CRobber a penny, I really wanted SC to succeed, so I can buy it and play it. But this food and drink thing... I don't want it anymore.

I feel like this is an aspect that doesn't get stressed nearly enough. And also describes my only experience with the game so far, almost dying of thirst because the hydration state didn't reset on wake up, having to find a drink vendor outside of the planet and almost dying of thirst anyway because the game wasn't allowing me to remove my helmet to drink. I'll keep repeating myself but, you can try to sort out bugs how much you want, but idiotic game design decisions will remain largely unaffected until you sort out whatever issues are there with the people making these decisions.

Top Bottom