Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

Are Star Marine or ArenaCommander considered like release products?
That would say a lot on what to expect for their next releases.

Also, I wonder if those pipes are finally in the game...

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/6chhtg Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/6chhtg/pipe_system_question/

3 years ago... wow

CR was waffling on about them at the end of the last year. He sounded like he wanted to refactor all the ships to actually put the pipes in them and model the air flowing through them. The guy is out of his gourd.

And it seems they think right. Perhaps because a lot of backers (new and old) have fun or enjoy the alpha already ?

Fairy dust and dreams ? Faith of backers ? Maybe two years ago. Atm despite the bugs, there is already a game. You can pretend not to see it here, hiding it behind a meticulous collection of all the bug's videos available on the web but you can "play" the alpha and not just test it. And all new backers that don't ask for a refund see it also. And they give money to CIG because they like what they see and love the ships released by CIG (fun fact, owning a ship in SC is really enjoyable).

You can succeed on an alpha. Releasing or not the product is not the sole factor (Minecraft, Valheim, Subnautica, Star Citizen, etc). And for what I know, it seems that SC is greatly succeeding.

"If the faith of backers falter the wallets will close" : but it's too late my friend, the wallets will not close. If the wallets had not close 2 years ago when the alpha was in a very poor state, it will not close now that the alpha is much more playable and pretty and with more gameplay mechanisms...

You think CIG are right in thinking that the time and money available to them is infinite?

Ooooookaaayyy.

So, if its still in alpha in 10 or 20 years, you think people are still going to be throwing money at the project?

Hey, you know, you might be right.

Fairy dust and dreams is what i said and what i mean. Yes, there is a game, of sorts, an alpha. But a lot of what backers dream of doesn't exist and probably never will. That's the fairy dust and dreams i'm referring to.

PS: Interesting to note you ignore the fact that CIG almost ran out of money and had to go begging for cash to stay afloat from a third party.

Last edited:
Minecraft and Subnautica are released products and have not been in alpha for 10 years with macro transactions.

And Valheim could very well be a released product in its current state. Not something that could be said for Star Citizen. If CIG tried to slap a release label on SC right now, they would get totally panned by the gaming press.

"400 million and 10 years for this? You've got to be joking!" would be the general sentiment.

Speaking of Valheim, 81 hours so far in just a couple of weeks. Working physics system. Persistence... really really persistence. You know how backers dream of leaving loads of coffee cups on a planet and coming back to them much later and them still being there. Yeah, that level of persistence.... actually, its a plus and a minus. Sometimes you just want to get rid of stuff and it remain forever. People do things like making garbage pits to throw the stuff they don't want into them. Stability is great, not one crash yet. No networking issues noted (although it just me and my daughter playing).

Base construction and no need to give anyone money to claim land! Moddable! Self-hosting! Stealth mechanics that take into consideration movement, wind direction, light, and what armour you are wearing.

5 unique and distincive biomes with environmental effects. You can freeze in mountains and even wolf pelt won't save you if you are wet as well. More biomes to come.

Oh, and no matter how much you'd like, you can't give the devs any more money than the cost of the game.

I mean, really LA, mentioning Star Citizen in the same breath as Valheim is laughable.

Oh sure. Contractor accepting contract means 3rd party tool sales for a proprietary engine owned by other parties is doubtless imminent, alongside a suite of successful games and top tier industry success to rival the best in the business.

You are making perfect sense, please do continue.
I've not said CIG will sell its engine. I've said they develop it for their personal use (like Fdev).
You think SQ42 will not be a top AAA, I think the opposite.

I've not said CIG will sell its engine. I've said they develop it for their personal use (like Fdev).

Don’t worry, Nostradamus was misunderstood in his time too.

(PS nah on the engine thing. Modding someone else’s engine isn’t the same as developing your own.)

I just think repeatedly predicting a Rockstar style empire, before SQ42 has even dragged itself out of its very obvious development hell, is fricking hilarious. But you carry on ;)

That's fair enough. I'm not sure what you base it on, but i suppose its nice to have hope.

Based on Wing Commander by Chris Roberts
Story by Chris Roberts
Directed by Chris Roberts
Produced by Digital Anvil (Chris' company) and Origin Systems (Richard Gariott's company, yes, the Richard Gariott of Shroud of the Avatar fame).

Speaking of Valheim, 81 hours so far in just a couple of weeks. Working physics system. Persistence... really really persistence. You know how backers dream of leaving loads of coffee cups on a planet and coming back to them much later and them still being there. Yeah, that level of persistence.... actually, its a plus and a minus. Sometimes you just want to get rid of stuff and it remain forever. People do things like making garbage pits to throw the stuff they don't want into them. Stability is great, not one crash yet. No networking issues noted (although it just me and my daughter playing).

Base construction and no need to give anyone money to claim land! Moddable! Self-hosting! Stealth mechanics that take into consideration movement, wind direction, light, and what armour you are wearing.

5 unique and distincive biomes with environmental effects. You can freeze in mountains and even wolf pelt won't save you if you are wet as well. More biomes to come.

Oh, and no matter how much you'd like, you can't give the devs any more money than the cost of the game.

I mean, really LA, mentioning Star Citizen in the same breath as Valheim is laughable.
Is the game playable (and interesting) playing alone?

Yeah, i'm mainly playing with my daughter but sometimes when she's gone to bed i get on with building stuff because that side of things is boring for her and it annoys her when i spend time building instead of going out killing things and gathering stuff.

She also gets annoyed when i tell her to wait while i tend to the crops, although she will happily eat all my turnips!

It is harder though with just one person as its easier to get mobbed by enemies, so you have to go a bit slower. Also bosses can be much more of a challenge solo. At least with 2 you can have one person acting as bait while the other does the damage and swap around when heath is low. You have to be more prepared for the boss fights solo, make sure you have mead for instant health and stamina, that sort of thing.

Loving the building system. Currently working on making a dock for the longboat. There are different approaches to making a dock so trying one and see how well it works. Main thing to make sure of is the berth is deep enough so when there are storms the ship doesn't crash into the floor of the sea as the waves go up and down.

(PS nah on the engine thing. Modding someone else’s engine isn’t the same as developing your own.)
Yeah. And 'modding' like in 'adding 64 bit positions to the engine' or other 'small' improvement of this sort is not exactly something a lot of companies do when they use a third party engine...

It is and it can be pretty chalenging.

Top Bottom