Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

Just... why?

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/nwro60 Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/nwro60/gatac_railen_flight_animation/

Other than: Over-engineered slidey-panels sell ;)

9yho2bdgsbo01.gif

If that were the case, i shudder to think of the base price of SC once it releases.

Where do they draw the line in order to ensure the whales are getting it at a discount?

Will $100,000 be enough?
Well... if Roberts had kept his promises, I would've received the equivalent of this package only $40... a $25 savings! Well, it would've been a $25 savings if the game I had backed had came out in 2014 when it was supposed to. But it's also likely I would've spent more money on cosmetics than I'd saved if my pattern in other, non-subscription based MMOs (or even single player games like Space Engineers and Surviving Mars) are any indication.

I wouldn't be surprised at all that once the game is actually released, Roberts will start charging AAA prices (AKA $60) for both Star Citizen and Squadron 42... both bundled together for $100...

or about $160 in 2040 dollars. :D

the funny thing is this is what you see in the front page of Star Citizen kickstarter:

Real quick, Star Citizen is:​

• A rich universe focused on epic space adventure, trading and dogfighting in first person.
  • Single Player – Offline or Online(Drop in / Drop out co-op play)
  • Persistent Universe (hosted by US)
  • Mod-able multiplayer (hosted by YOU)
  • No Subscriptions
  • No Pay to Win
after almost 10 years the only thing that is acheived (not so much) is the third.

And they have already broken 5 and 6 with 4 looking rather unlikely, 2 probably isn't going to happen (the drop in/drop out part at least) and 1 remains to be seen, although at a stretch, you could say they are delivering it, slowly... except for the "universe" part.

That is 100% not the correct term. :) They add plenty of technical debt every time they actually add a flyable ship to the game though.
Indeed...potential technical debt then. I imagine the tears of impotent rage will be tragic if they squeezed it to flyable before the BMM lurched it's way from being a post-it note stuck to John Crewe's monitor :D

Last edited:
Well... if Roberts had kept his promises, I would've received the equivalent of this package only $40... a $25 savings! Well, it would've been a $25 savings if the game I had backed had came out in 2014 when it was supposed to. But it's also likely I would've spent more money on cosmetics than I'd saved if my pattern in other, non-subscription based MMOs (or even single player games like Space Engineers and Surviving Mars) are any indication.

I wouldn't be surprised at all that once the game is actually released, Roberts will start charging AAA prices (AKA $60) for both Star Citizen and Squadron 42... both bundled together for $100...

or about $160 in 2040 dollars. :D

By Grabthar's Hammer!

From Reddit:

So hear me out, a friend of mine keeps dropping the "Star Citizen is over because it's taken so long for development, etc etc"

I tried having the discussion around development, CGI didn't really start in earnest until 2015 ish, as they were filling positions, building tools and tech, fleshing out timelines, as well as building a company. Totally ignores this and uses dates on Wikipedia, "development started in 2011."

Is there a good condensed youtube video that debunks the myth SC is a scam and showcases the progress? I think we can all agree, progress is in fact slow, but it has not been 10 years of active development at this point (as I incorrectly used to believe as well). Needs to be a video format as this person will switch off very quickly given they're the type to disregard a wall of text.

#notacult

Yep. Might as well be asking "can someone please convince my friend not to believe his lying eyes and drop some cash in this game?"
If someone has firmly-grounded beliefs - be it "I have faith this project will be realized" or "LOL, this is a cash-grab" - there will never be reconciliation.

There's no reason to convince someone one way or another. Don't look for outside sources, because they'll hit back with missed dates and never-completed stuff like ASL emotes or whatever.

You don't need an "I told you so!" especially with a project that's ongoing and ever-changing as to accomplishments and/or never-resolved bugs.

If someone has firmly-grounded beliefs - be it "I have faith this project will be realized" or "LOL, this is a cash-grab" - there will never be reconciliation.

There's no reason to convince someone one way or another. Don't look for outside sources, because they'll hit back with missed dates and never-completed stuff like ASL emotes or whatever.

You don't need an "I told you so!" especially with a project that's ongoing and ever-changing as to accomplishments and/or never-resolved bugs.
Exactly. I mean, it's okay to say "this person has their information wrong," but what this person wanted was more like CiG apologetics, like what I had to deal with when I was a fundamentalist Christian more than 20 years ago. That need to prove someone not only wrong, but to make them believe the cause is just and right. Silly as it sounds for a video game.

Exactly. I mean, it's okay to say "this person has their information wrong," but what this person wanted was more like CiG apologetics, like what I had to deal with when I was a fundamentalist Christian more than 20 years ago. That need to prove someone not only wrong, but to make them believe the cause is just and right. Silly as it sounds for a video game.
Don't get us started on the apologetics streak. @MTBFritz and I have gone over this path in the past (I'm not going to crawl through thread iterations 3-9 to find it), but as a malfunctioning Russian Orthodox person, the culture of Star Citizen definitely smacks of kissing icons and self-flagellation to achieve a higher station.

Of course, that's from the bottom of the ladder, looking up. Those who got out, as well as those in Evocati know it's a ploy to get more funding from the true believers who are either spite-pledging, or who really really truly cross-my-heart want to see this project succeed.

The truth is Star Citizen will succeed or fail on its own merits, and the after-action report will be hilarious either way.

Last edited:
Top Bottom