Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

Just to cycle back to the point about CIG's finances.

1623385977375.png

Half a million spike in funding as CIG sell another concept ship for $200.

They sold somewhere in the region of 2.5 thousand of these transformer JPGs.

It just goes to show how you don't need many fools to keep the money rolling in.

But it also begs the question, why? Why do they still need so much money? What is their actual burn rate if they have to keep doing this? Why are they doing more concept ships that just add more time to development rather than releasing ships that backers already paid for, in some cases, almost a decade ago?

Don't get us started on the apologetics streak. @MTBFritz and I have gone over this path in the past (I'm not going to crawl through thread iterations 3-9 to find it), but as a malfunctioning Russian Orthodox person, the culture of Star Citizen definitely smacks of kissing icons and self-flagellation to achieve a higher station.

Of course, that's from the bottom of the ladder, looking up. Those who got out, as well as those in Evocati know it's a ploy to get more funding from the true believers who are either spite-pledging, or who really really truly cross-my-heart want to see this project succeed.

The truth is Star Citizen will succeed or fail on its own merits, and the after-action report will be hilarious either way.
Completely 100% agreed.
I like the people, and I'd love to see SC succeed, if for nothing else than for the players (and myself, who wants the kind of game CIG promised), and the people who poured all of their time into trying to make such a massively overcomplex pile of code, but I don't think what I consider success and the faithful consider success are the same kinds of success.

Someone should link him Sunk Cost Galaxy
Speaking of, they need to update their videos. They never did post a new one after promising to do so something like two years ago. I'd like an update.

All that aside, SC continues to talk about what they will do, when I can spend the past 5 days in ED hauling my butt out to the edge of the galaxy, and take it all in:

And I can visit every single one of those points of light. It didn't take $500 million, either.

Last edited:
Speaking of, they need to update their videos. They never did post a new one after promising to do so something like two years ago. I'd like an update.
As I'm sure the creator can attest to, doing the research, and making a high-quality video takes time. And in a "live" project where new information is coming out/being re-written on a regular basis, finding evergreen data to base a script on can be challenging.

Thank goodness they're not doing a video on the roadmaps. That would take as many revisions as... well, recursiveness is taking over, so I'll just end it here.

So is SC worth playing / better than Odyssey?

I skimmed back 4 or so pages, and there's not much discussion on gameplay or mechanics.
Unfortunately, there never is on here. Mostly because there's only a few of us who are backers or regular players, I've worked out that the rest are all accountants who take an endless delight in pointing out that Star Citizen is a scam. I'm sure the financial miasma of Ci¬G's funding is truly fascinating for the accountantancy fixated...but it gets heartily boring for the rest of us after a few pages of it :D

No, it's certainly not better than Odyssey, they're two completely different games so I find it hard to make direct comparisons. I like bits of both...dislike bits of both too. It's very different in a gameplay sense as well as being perpetually broken although some of us play regularly despite all that...Star Citizen does have that certain something. Is it worth buying into the project? Definitely not. Try it out during one of the freefly events if you really want to try it...save youself some pain :)

Last edited:

View attachment 238932

It just goes to show how you don't need many fools to keep the money rolling in.

But it also begs the question, why? Why do they still need so much money? What is their actual burn rate if they have to keep doing this? Why are they doing more concept ships that just add more time to development rather than releasing ships that backers already paid for, in some cases, almost a decade ago?
Amen. I wish they would stop the never ending scope and feature creep and just give us the original game (which is now two games) that was asked and pledged for.

So is SC worth playing / better than Odyssey?

I skimmed back 4 or so pages, and there's not much discussion on gameplay or mechanics.
Asking this question here is like asking in a Democrat forum what they think of the Republican party.
SC worth it's base package cost. It's different from Odyssey.
It's still in alpha so it has nasty bugs, no new player experience and there will be a wipe in the future.
If you want some details about the gameplay, you can ask on the reddit forum.

Ahh, i thought space-loving gamers might cross over was all.

I like bits of both...dislike bits of both too. It's very different in a gameplay sense as well as being perpetually broken. ... Is it worth buying into the project? Definitely not. Try it out during one of the freefly events if you really want to try it...save youself some pain :)
Yeah i see i just missed the fly free that was on recently.

I see a lot of "be chill about it, it's not complete" which is fine, i dont mind if i know i'm getting an alpha. This seems informative to manage one's expectations:

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0UjnswV_R0

I see a lot of "be chill about it, it's not complete" which is fine, i dont mind if i know i'm getting an alpha. This seems informative to manage one's expectations:

As long as you're aware of Ci¬G's peristent deception and misleading promotion of Star Citizen, I'd also include the videos from the majority of Star Citizen's content creators in that bracket... You can enjoy playing it once your eyes are wide open...I certainly do and I've been around the project for a few years. Is it worth having a punt by buying in with a starter package? I'd still offer caution, assuming you're aware of all that other stuff. Ci¬G are selling access to a dream, not a functional space game...opening your wallet to Star Citizen can become a slippery slope. As long as you're prepared for the reality that you're just chucking cash into an endless, grossly mismanaged black hole of game development and spend no more than the bare minimum required for that starter package.

Visually, the attention to detail, ship design, ship interiors and planetary graphics are quite impressive...with the caveat that visually is all you get, there's only one almost complete gameplay loop...ship or planetary mining...but that's all locked behind a ship specific paywall like most of Star Citizen. Trading has been broken for a few patches, bounty hunting works too if you're into that sort of thing.

Ships are available to buy in game with in game credits, but it's finding the game and server stability to be able to earn and keep enough of it in the first place is when becomes more difficult. All in game bought ships and earned credits will be lost when Ci¬G wipe the persistence database, they haven't for quite some time...but it's coming :)

Last edited:

View attachment 238932

Because Sandi got a bonus at the board meeting and they want all to earn some more before it collapses.

It turns out the group behind the Electronic Arts hack also hacked CIG's servers. Having seen the stolen code, the hackers want to know the best way to delete the data and decontaminate their drives. So far, the best advice has been: "Nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure."

And to be fair, Frontier have also announced that their servers were penetrated. They're asking whoever did the hack for their frametrates back... ;)

I wouldn't ask on the official subreddit like suggested. You'll likely get downvoted as a troll for asking about things like release dates or gameplay features. They are a tad sensitive about things like that over there. Better to announce your plans to spend all your money on SC. That will get you plenty of upvotes.

Here in general we are a crusty bunch of SC skeptics, but Mole will give you fair and balanced information. LittleAnt can be ok when he takes off his evangelical hat. Intrepid 3D can also be quite balanced.

On the skpetical side (where i firmly sit) I would advise you against giving CIG any money regardless of how much you might like what they have delivered to date. CIG have spent the last 9 years lying to backers, misleading them, and all the while talking big about the things that one day will be, but never appear. For example, Salvaging and Farming were both on the roadmap back in 2016. Neither is in the game. Salvaging has been on and off the roadmap many times. The only thing they consistently deliver on is ships... and more ships, and concepts for ships, that they then sell for hundreds of dollars.

The game is stuck deep in development hell, waiting for ever-changing magical tech, which when it finally appears turns out to not be the magical tech required but its actually some other magical tech required.

The game has also taken in close to 100x what they said they initially required to make the best damn space sim ever, almost 10x what they said they needed to make the BDSSE+, and to date have still not delivered on the game they were promising to make for just a few million.

There is a serious disconnect between what CIG say and what CIG do.

If it was any other company, like EA for example, the internet would be on fire. But outside a few small circles like in this thread or on Something Awful it barely gets a mention. When it does, outside of the SC fan and skeptic circles, it mainly gets treated as a joke.

This is a slightly wrong question, I think, since the answer is "because they can". They are a business and will take every opportunity at monetisation. They really nailed the marketing of virtual collectible toys.

Besides, that new office in Frankfurt and a hundred of planet designers at Turbulent are not going to come free.

Top Bottom