Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

@Stinja : if you play, I heavily suggest you to request a guide for your first hours
They are very helpfull.

Nice test
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/nrfawj
And a nice Inverse Kinematics screenshot
bmkcm6zobi471.jpg

This is a slightly wrong question, I think, since the answer is "because they can". They are a business and will take every opportunity at monetisation. They really nailed the marketing of virtual collectible toys.

But CIG promised to not be like the big bad publishers!!!

And yeah, that could be a reason. Which is it then? Greed or are they burning money quicker than they can rake it in?

Since no one else is saying it: Do not buy SC.

It is not an alpha as much as it is a janky broken store front window to the cash shop, which sells non-flyable ships for upwards of $200 a pop and brings in 500k+ a day for them whenever they put one up for sale. Like yesterday. Or three weeks ago.

There is not much discussion of gameplay because, surprise, there is hardly any other than what Mole already talked about. Again, do not buy it. Watch any of the real time Twitch streams, or try the free fly if you want to see what it's like. The curated videos from "content creators" are not always realistic. The stuff from CIG are fever dreams of a wide eyed boy hopped up on sugar and meth, born in fantasy land and full of imaginarium. Also lady's handbags and $800 shoes for Sandi.

Consider yourself warned.

If you still buy it after that - I hear buying Idris is totally worth it. And I have several land retail opportunities to talk to you about. Also a game that totally beats SC at half the price.

An interesting tidbit from @WotGTheAgent :

If Calders hired this firm to lead the investment process, and since they doubled down later, due diligence was definitely in place. This means they knew very well what they were getting themselves into. If so, I would lean towards the assumption of their shares coming with special rights, be it access to more than proportional voting power and / or being able to cash in bits of the entire monetisation stream.

Chris and Sandi disappeared from the public eye at that time as well (AFAIR).

Last edited:
An interesting tidbit from @WotGTheAgent :

If Calders hired this firm to lead the investment process, and since they doubled down later, due diligence was definitely in place. This means they knew very well what they were getting themselves into. If so, I would lean towards the assumption of their shares coming with special rights, be it access to more than proportional voting power and / or being able to cash in bits of the entire monetisation stream.

Chris and Sandi disappeared from the public eye at that time as well (AFAIR).

I assumed that from the start. Backers were quick to state that they only get 10 (later 14)% of the voting rights, but i can't imagine anyone leaving CR with majority control after doing due diligence or having some sort of exit option in place.

We know they bailed CIG out at a time when they were close to running out of money. They must have looked at the financials and known they had CR over a barrel. They must have known the risks.

They would have had to be crazy to not have some insurance in place that CR would have had little choice but to agree to.

So is SC worth playing / better than Odyssey?

I skimmed back 4 or so pages, and there's not much discussion on gameplay or mechanics.
Yeah, I am mostly waiting for Squadron 42, but given that they keep scope creeping the hell out of this game and add more and more PU features to it, I am not too hopeful. Unfortunately, I find the game around the game to be more interesting.

Like others said, wait for any event where they let you try it for free, or start with a smallest package and make sure not to miss the refund window. The next event should happen during CitiCon I guess, which is in August.

Last edited:
Again, do not buy it

Ach, you’re never gonna stop the allure of SC’s glossy art and steel stallions.

If people wanna spend $54 on an unstable alpha, with its inevitable wipes, infamously stalled progress, long history of over-promise, and macro-purchase shop which softens some of those pains... that’s their call. And their look out ;)

The important thing is that they know about the big beats. That claims of great technical progress 'next year' (by either CIG, or over-invested backers) will most likely fall through. Repeatedly. That the game is still struggling to settle on architectural fundamentals in 2021 (like networking), explaining the perpetual absence of many promised gameplay features. That CIG have clearly pre-sold more than they can deliver. And that they keep adding new things to sell...

Etc etc.

If they go in with some of those fundamentals (recognising they might be propping up a boondoggle project, helping it draw more cash in, but never seeing it coalesce into a functional game, let alone the promised one)... Then that’s fine. That’s their call ;)

Idc, it's their money to watch go up in virtual smoke. Rather be explicit that go all "weeeeellll, it's an alpha blah blah". Nah, just don't buy it.

In fact for me, the more people buy, the more hilarious it becomes 😂

Idc, it's their money to watch go up in virtual smoke. Rather be explicit that go all "weeeeellll, it's an alpha blah blah". Nah, just don't buy it.

In fact for me, the more people buy, the more hilarious it becomes 😂
I don't see the virtual smoke you talk about.

If I don't count sessions where I had gamebreaking bugs, to date I have around 200h of real and enjoyable playtime in the alpha. And I rarely do mining.

I don't see the virtual smoke you talk about.

If I don't count sessions where I had gamebreaking bugs, to date I have around 200h of real and enjoyable playtime in the alpha. And I rarely do mining.

So, you're at about 10,000 hours in total! :D

I think you misunderstand what he means though. He's talking about when the project goes up in smoke, so do the virtual assets.

Of course, that's not guaranteed, but since CIG still need hundreds of millions more and many more years to deliver on even an MVP, its a possibility.

The only thing that stops it going up in smoke is continued faith from backers that, in the face of all evidence, CIG can deliver the game promised... or some approximation of it.

Star Citizen is a confidence scam run by a scammer who is taking millions for his family and not delivering a game. And the main game as described can't be made.

Don't give money to scammers. There are thousands of legitimate games to buy.

90 days top since several years, still waiting.

I currently play and enjoy the approximation you talk about. That's my evidence that CIG can deliver.

You seem to be confusing your enjoyment of SC with what CIG said they would deliver.

There is a huge difference between the game as is and what CIG said they would deliver. You might enjoy it, but it doesn't magically make it the game promised.

You seem to be confusing your enjoyment of SC with what CIG said they would deliver.

There is a huge difference between the game as is and what CIG said they would deliver. You might enjoy it, but it doesn't magically make it the game promised.
I confuse nothing. They won't magically make it the game promised but with the tech they work on atm.

Top Bottom