Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

it plays right into the perceptions of detractors and cynics.

tenor.gif

That's definitely not where that 3090 will shine. Try Control, CP2077, the latest Tomb Raider.. Frame rates in SC are horrendous and constrained by the main game loop that runs everything down to the kitchen sink for the whole system you are in (which is, the only system in SC, by the way). There's some proximity culling (and horrendously slow loading of assets then) but that's a naive, beginner implementation, and nowhere near what a multi million players MMO would require, as it falls apart entirely if more than 20 players congregate in one area.
Finally got a new 3060Ti at a not ridiculous price last week (and a new Founders 3060Ti arrives this weekend for even cheaper).

Both Cyberpunk 2077 and Control (Ultimate Edition) are absolutely STUNNING with all the RTX tech enabled. Loving playing through them again. Astonishing o_O

Metro Exodus is next, Moley :D

That's definitely not where that 3090 will shine. Try Control, CP2077, the latest Tomb Raider.. Frame rates in SC are horrendous and constrained by the main game loop that runs everything down to the kitchen sink for the whole system you are in (which is, the only system in SC, by the way). There's some proximity culling (and horrendously slow loading of assets then) but that's a naive, beginner implementation, and nowhere near what a multi million players MMO would require, as it falls apart entirely if more than 20 players congregate in one area.
The main game loop and the renderer are limited to one thread each atm. That's why having a CPU with good performance for one core is important and why the CPU is often the bottleneck.
The switch to the gen 12 renderer and Vulkan should allow CIG to use multiple threads for the main game loop+renderer and freed SC from the CPU bottleneck for good computers.

3.13 post mortem...

There's quite a lot to unpack here and how you view it will depend on where you sit on the fan/skeptic scale, so i'll just provide the link without comment. I'm sure people can fill in the blanks as to how i interpret it anyway ;)

What we’ll do differently in the future

We need to improve the handoff of the entity behaviors and clear up responsibility between the teams.

(They've had a few years to iron this stuff out, right?)

What we’ll do differently in the future​

Trolley Push/Pull was always designed to serve two purposes: a puzzle mechanic and for cargo loading. As a puzzle mechanic, the feature works well and allows the designers to start creating new and interesting missions/spaces where players can use trolleys and blocks to access higher vantage points. As a cargo-loading mechanic, it falls short due to the limitations of the wheels and the sizes of ship ramps. Going forward, we will be developing a hover trolley that will alleviate a lot of our issues and rely on the more traditional trolleys for landing zones and specific missions.

(No! You can't scale back on the fidelity of my wheels fighting gravity like a broken shopping cart! You will regret this!)

...bunch of other stuff...

Re: Reputation:

Also, with the system now in place and our second star system on the horizon once server meshing comes online, we are having ongoing design discussions about how we will structure organizations within the universe for the first five systems. These talks include everything from the new-player experience and their starting location, how players progress within a single system, and how major organizations will influence content across multiple systems. This also allows us to define what gameplay will be involved for each of the major mission types, with the current plan to associate each mission type with the reputation tracks within organizations. Throughout this process, we have made significant strides towards (what we feel) will be the initial version/vision of how this major progression mechanic will affect the overall player experience. While we still need to get final signoff, we feel this falls in line with how reputation has been previously pitched to the public and look forward to driving this forward.

(Signal the excuses against future criticism until the second system/server meshing get delayed yet again are complete.

My tl;dr - I'm seeing hints that CIG is realizing that compromises are going to be necessary, and being "the person who controls the spaceman who's controlling the handle on the space toilet" or whatever may be too cumbersome for development teams and the game engine itself.

Re: Reputation:

Also, with the system now in place and our second star system on the horizon once server meshing comes online, we are having ongoing design discussions about how we will structure organizations within the universe for the first five systems. These talks include everything from the new-player experience and their starting location, how players progress within a single system, and how major organizations will influence content across multiple systems. This also allows us to define what gameplay will be involved for each of the major mission types, with the current plan to associate each mission type with the reputation tracks within organizations. Throughout this process, we have made significant strides towards (what we feel) will be the initial version/vision of how this major progression mechanic will affect the overall player experience. While we still need to get final signoff, we feel this falls in line with how reputation has been previously pitched to the public and look forward to driving this forward.

(Signal the excuses against future criticism until the second system/server meshing get delayed yet again are complete.

My takeaways there are:

• What’s stopped them trialling player progression within a single system already?
  • There’s a degree of flinch about Chris & the community’s reaction to a pragmatic pitch for implementation (as opposed to a dream one ;))

Chris: "NO! They have to meet Ray Liotta in an abandoned water closet, having tracked his distinctive peg leg from orbit. They’re fulfilling that bounty for Jaabuu the Slug. And they can only recognise him by his multilayered socks. Oh and make him blue!"

Never gets too hot up here in the frozen north, reached a balmy (and cloudy) 13°c this afternoon as the rest of the world swam around in it's own perspiration. I almost had to take my dufflecoat off :)
13C is mid-winter temperatures downunder :unsure: one can wear shorts (or a kilt) all year! :cool:

3.13 post mortem...

There's quite a lot to unpack here and how you view it will depend on where you sit on the fan/skeptic scale, so i'll just provide the link without comment.
I skimmed it (doesnt always mean much to newbie-me), if nothing else it's very interesting seeing such engagement with the community. Unlike other game developers.

Saying that my old firm didnt do project postmortems either. Despite it being part of the agreed development and project management processes, and various audits from Microsoft, KPMG etc all saying such culture change was needed.
The development teams did them internally, but the project wide ones were declined by those that should have been involved: typically because improvements would be directed to their teams and their managers had egos which were a little delicate or insecure about constructive criticism. "oh we're too busy delivering X right now". I remember the more outspoken in development were told to not rock the boat, so we had this half agile, half overly-ITIL workflow which kinda plopped out something every once in a while.
[/rant] anyway just interesting seeing CIG actually do these with public summaries.

Last edited:
Thanks Macky 😎

I've been trying to use the Target profiles but I can't get that to work either!

Source: https://youtu.be/r02Vjuir4lg

I'll take a look at D2EAs video and see if it has anything helpful there.
Edit. Sadly it's only a basic guide 😔
As an experiment tonight after our marathon joystick bashing exploits today, one of our org guys who normally flies M/KB dragged his 3 year old T16000 hotas out to see if he could replicate any of your issues. He plugged it straight in, no Target software or windows setup, fired up SC and had the throttle set up and working in under a minute. This was all from settings advice...with exactly the same control settings for SC we went through this afternoon... from one of the other org hotas fliers (using a Warthog) and myself with the X56.

There's obviously something hardware wise going on with your setup (more than likely something Windows device manager or USB ports related) I haven't been able to suss out. When someone can drag a T16000 identical to yours out from under a desk where it's been sitting sadly neglected and unused for over a year, plug it all in not having used it previously for SC and be flying around in a couple of minutes with everything working as it should...there's something amiss. What puzzles me is why your throttle unit works perfectly in ED and registers perfectly with the Windows joy.cpl utility but not in Thrustmasters own Target software and translates an analogue throttle input to a digital on/off in Star Citizen :oops:

I'm still searching for a solution, I'll keep at it until either one of of us drops dead through the effort :D

Edit: One other question...the slider on the base of the stick...do you have that set to another function? Just asking since that's the default throttle input if you only have the stick with no throttle unit. If it's not set to anything...try setting that slider input to gear up/down or some other random function in the SC controls menu and try the throttle unit again....in the unlikely case that it's causing a conflict somewhere. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Top Bottom