Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

if nothing else it's very interesting seeing such engagement with the community. Unlike other game developers.

There are other game developers out there that have good engagement with their communities. Its not something unique to CIG.

One of the problems with CIG is they say too much. They have committed themselves to putting out non-stop content, this means there is so much of it, a lot of it is just blah blah blah filler or technobabble. It also convinces some people who have no clue about software development that they know something about software development, or even worse, people who know about software development "learning" stuff from CIG which is going to get them fired one day for trying to do things the same way.

And if there is one person who shouldn't be engaging with the community it is CR, because every time he does he either adds another 2 years to the scope of the project talking about some other unnecessary feature he wants to see or he says something dumb like the time he absolved himself of wrongdoing.

Only skipped through, but as i understand "Why play Elite?" should be read as "Why would you play Elite when SC exists?" and then focuses on just the planets, which i think most would agree, the few planets SC has are very well done, but that is just one aspect of both games. If you only want to see beautiful planets you can always just fire up Space Engine for a much better experience than both SC and ED.

Only skipped through, but as i understand "Why play Elite?" should be read as "Why would you play Elite when SC exists?" and then focuses on just the planets, which i think most would agree, the few planets SC has are very well done, but that is just one aspect of both games. If you only want to see beautiful planets you can always just fire up Space Engine for a much better experience than both SC and ED.
That video is his third in the series. I think they're full of tosh personally. The creator made some really off the wall comments in all of his videos that he's obviously been fed by one of the more misguided but faithful idiots inhabiting Star Citizen recently...and they're all absolutely nonsense... not just the usual dreams.txt masqueraded as current features...but plain old codswallop :)

In this particular video, he rants on for a bit about how the weight of his co-conspirator stuffed into his little Aurora added actual additional weight and mass to the ship and how all of SC's ships handled differently when filled with cargo or fuel...there's a lot more tripe than that particular howler, but you get the idea. One of my org mates pointed this out to him in the video comments but was berated by the creator's new found friends amongst the Star Citizen illiterati...

The boy needs a slap before he goes listening to any more eejits then goes off spending any money :D

Last edited:
But only if you are exclusively interested in screenshots from a certain height or from orbit. I have yet to see a really convincing screenshot of SE at surface level. Sometimes it feels like I'm the only one who is primarily interested in the views on ground level - and not just since Odyssey. What also matters quite a lot to me is the sound. I don't know about SC in this regard, since this guy in the video is non stop babbling. I'd like to hear an example of the sound of footsteps in SC so I can compare. Also, the knowledge that everything is handcrafted in SC limits all this awesomeness significantly to me. Depends of course on how big these planets really are and how long it would take to see it all...

I don't know, i've seen some very nice images and videos of planets from ground level in SE.

That video is his third in the series. I think they're full of tosh personally. The creator made some really off the wall comments in all of his videos that he's obviously been fed by one of the more misguided but faithful idiots inhabiting Star Citizen recently...and they're all absolutely nonsense... not just the usual dreams.txt masqueraded as current features...but plain old codswallop :)

In this particular video, he rants on for a bit about how the weight of his co-conspirator stuffed into his little Aurora added actual additional weight and mass to the ship and how all of SC's ships handled differently when filled with cargo or fuel...there's a lot more tripe than that particular howler, but you get the idea.

The boy needs a slap before he goes listening to any more eejits then goes off spending any money :D
He still flies Aurora, and probably made those money back with his videos. The guy is smart, just like Kate. They see opportuninty, they cash in and expend their vieweship. SC has a lot to show to players that never tried it.
Also looking at thouse videos, it's easy to pledge, with so much in it gives people lots of hope for the future.

He still flies Aurora, and probably made those money back with his videos. The guy is smart, just like Kate. They see opportuninty, they cash in and expend their vieweship. SC has a lot to show to players that never tried it.
Also looking at thouse videos, it's easy to pledge, with so much in it gives people lots of hope for the future.
Kate's videos are a joy to watch, whether you're a Star Citizen backer or an out and out skeptic...I never once sucked my teeth at any of her commentary in any of the videos she's done so far and I've watched them all. They're honest, entertaining and her genuine enthusiasm is infectious, even for a cynical SC veteran like me.

The 'Why play Elite' series are an out and out travesty of misinformation with pretty images, nothing more.

Kate's videos are a joy to watch, whether you're a Star Citizen backer and regular payer or not...I never once sucked my teeth at any of her commentary in any of the videos she's done so far and I've watched them all. They're honest, entertaining and her genuine enthusiasm is infectious, even for a cynical SC veteran like me.

The 'Why play Elite' series are an out and out travesty of misinformation with pretty images, nothing more.
By missinfomation do you mean, he is showing only the cool bits of the game, or missleading players in saying things that aren't there, like the weather? Caves? Landscapes? Water? Things like adding weight to your ship, right or wrong doesn't really bothers me ... i was more interested in seeing Planet Tech.

By missinfomation do you mean, he is showing only the cool bits of the game, or missleading players in saying things that aren't there, like the weather? Caves? Landscapes? Water? Things like adding weight to your ship, right or wrong doesn't really bothers me ... i was more interested in watching Planet Tech.
Read my previous post on the series...all of the videos he's made in the series to date are full of dreams.txt features he states clearly as being current. As a Star Citizen newbie, he's being fed this nonsense by a third party and advertising it as fact without checking his source material. I'm a fan of Star Citizen...and I call it out as tosh...as did one of my Org mates in his video comments. You don't have to be an SC skeptic to know bullcrap when you hear it 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Looks actually pretty good. But where is the footstep sound? I only here a violin...
Footstep sounds are pretty average overall...sometimes too loud although the sound does register walking on different surfaces quite well...like stepping off a ship onto the surface of a planet or crossing a landing pad then onto dirt, they're different again when walking on snow or ice. They're not brilliant but certainly not the worst I've heard. I'll try and capture some examples next time I'm in game :)

As an experiment tonight after our marathon joystick bashing exploits today, one of our org guys who normally flies M/KB dragged his 3 year old T16000 hotas out to see if he could replicate any of your issues. He plugged it straight in, no Target software or windows setup, fired up SC and had the throttle set up and working in under a minute. This was all from settings advice...with exactly the same control settings for SC we went through this afternoon... from one of the other org hotas fliers (using a Warthog) and myself with the X56.

There's obviously something hardware wise going on with your setup (more than likely something Windows device manager or USB ports related) I haven't been able to suss out. When someone can drag a T16000 identical to yours out from under a desk where it's been sitting sadly neglected and unused for over a year, plug it all in not having used it previously for SC and be flying around in a couple of minutes with everything working as it should...there's something amiss. What puzzles me is why your throttle unit works perfectly in ED and registers perfectly with the Windows joy.cpl utility but not in Thrustmasters own Target software and translates an analogue throttle input to a digital on/off in Star Citizen :oops:

I'm still searching for a solution, I'll keep at it until either one of of us drops dead through the effort :D

Edit: One other question...the slider on the base of the stick...do you have that set to another function? Just asking since that's the default throttle input if you only have the stick with no throttle unit. If it's not set to anything...try setting that slider input to gear up/down or some other random function in the SC controls menu and try the throttle unit again....in the unlikely case that it's causing a conflict somewhere. 🤷‍♂️
Thanks Mole and other testers!

Sad news but not too surprising at this point! Yes I have set the joystick slider to something else (or left it blank, can't remember exactly as I've tried both). That doesn't make any difference either sadly.

Off too work now so more later!

Thanks SO MUCH! For your help! You really are a Star! 🤩😘

By missinfomation do you mean, he is showing only the cool bits of the game, or missleading players in saying things that aren't there, like the weather? Caves? Landscapes? Water? Things like adding weight to your ship, right or wrong doesn't really bothers me ... i was more interested in seeing Planet Tech.

I haven't payed that much attention to the videos but did watch this one. In this video he says adding cargo or passengers to your ship affects your ships performance. I'm nearly certain that is not the case. You load up a big cargo ship with cargo and it flies the same as when it is empty. The last time I did trading was in 3.13.0 using the ship that holds the most cargo in the game right now. Did not notice anything empty vs full.

Most of the stuff he is saying seems to be accurate though.

Its a common problem with backers who simply regurgitate what they have been told or what CIG have said (but not done), and many make false claims by using a term (what we had to create for this phenomenom because not seen it before) called future-as-present tense, where people talk about things that do not yet exist as though they already do.

I haven't watched the whole series or even that video expect for a quick skip through. But if Mole says he is doing this, then i'll believe it, as its pretty standard fare for the dreamers.

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator

In this particular video, he rants on for a bit about how the weight of his co-conspirator stuffed into his little Aurora added actual additional weight and mass to the ship and how all of SC's ships handled differently when filled with cargo or fuel...there's a lot more tripe than that particular howler, but you get the idea. One of my org mates pointed this out to him in the video comments but was berated by the creator's new found friends amongst the Star Citizen illiterati...

Well, I don’t think he d care much even if aware. In the case of this content creator, given his context, his motivation to stream or do vids about SC does not seem to be actually SC.

Well, I don’t think he d care much even if aware. In the case of this content creator, given his context, his motivation to stream or do vids about SC does not seem to be actually SC.
I'd agree, from my view he's doing Star Citizen some disservice by repeating oft read or heard frilly nonsense rather then concentrating on how the game plays, good and bad. He doesn't show active gameplay or what the people who play SC every day are doing or even talking about. They're SC tourist videos.

I've said it a few times on here, but Kate Byrne's videos are very honest. She shows current gameplay as it is which is why her videos have been well received by SC backers. There's very few fluffy scenic shots or fanboi speak except in context with what she's doing as a player. Everyone I've spoken to amongst the regular players who have seen them give her videos a thumbs up. She's fast becoming my favourite Star Citizen content creator simply because she's showing folk who may not have ever played Star Citizen what the rest of us who are playing instead of just talking about it are actually doing...and I'm not alone in that sentiment considering she's a newbie.

Her main saving grace...for me in particular is that she doesn't seem to be trying to punish her regular ED viewers or have an agenda of belittling FDev by creating content of her gameplay in SC as a fairly well known ED content creator. She's made comparisons between the two games, sure, especially in her first videos as many folk do...but as a fan of both games myself, I really can't fault her approach 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
I'd agree, from my view he's doing Star Citizen some disservice by repeating oft read or heard frilly nonsense rather then concentrating on how the game plays. He doesn't show active gameplay or what the people who play SC every day are doing or even talking about. They're SC tourist videos.

I've said it a few times on here, but Kate Byrne's videos are very honest. She shows current gameplay as it is which is why her videos have been well received by SC backers. There's very few fluffy scenic shots or fanboi speak except in context with what she's doing as a player. Everyone I've spoken to amongst the regular players who have seen them give her videos a thumbs up. She's fast becoming my favourite Star Citizen content creator...and I'm not alone in that sentiment considering she's a newbie.

Her main saving grace...for me in particular is that she doesn't seem to be trying to punish her regular ED viewers or have an agenda of belittling FDev by creating content of her gameplay in SC as a fairly well known ED content creator. She's made comparisons between the two games, sure, especially in her first videos as many folk do...but as a fan of both games myself, I really can't fault her approach 🤷‍♂️
The question that has been looming on my mind about Kate videos is - How much more is there left to show? When she gets to the " I have seen everything in SC " part - than what?

Top Bottom