Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

2ksyv7js0at71.png

Qw0A5Mj_d.webp

Game development only really started in 201X - Check!
Reference to Cyberpunk - Check!
Other games took as long - Check!
Scope bigger than anything done before - Check!
You're no a game dev so you don't know - Check!
Game dev is hard - Check!

Blimey, i've never seen a SC faithful bingo card be filled so fast!

Qw0A5Mj_d.webp

Game development only really started in 201X - Check!
Reference to Cyberpunk - Check!
Other games took as long - Check!
Scope bigger than anything done before - Check!
You're no a game dev so you don't know - Check!
Game dev is hard - Check!

Blimey, i've never seen a SC faithful bingo card be filled so fast!
"None of us have enough information to even guess how far off it is"? What happened to "the most open development" there?!
1634193024401.png

I think we're having an everything crisis! But it's ok, I'm sure Boris is all over it..
5qd2ab.jpg

I mean the bigger concern would be money scams with the ships.

At some point there would probably some way to scrap a ship. For salvage or whatever.

And spawning and scrapping ships could be unlimited money.
You see how fast we are coming up with exploits when we put just a tiny bit of thought into it? 🥳

Last edited:
Never underestimate player creativity. It won't help half-assing the job and hope noone exploits loop-holes.
Dint take long really.

Well, its not like we predicted this sort of stuff would happen years ago when they started talking about medical gameplay is it?

I mean, isn't it what gamers always wanted? Being unable to take any action while playing a game, just lie there and wait for whatever others want to do to you.

Lurking in dark corners...

This is a sort of shenanigans that alpha gameplay exists to figure out.

I mean, perhaps they could have given it an iota of thought before actually putting it into alpha? This sort of stuff would be obvious to a child, but these people are meant to be fully fledged game designers.

Of course, for those that think this sort of gameplay is great, then it doesn't need changing.

My guess is the wind will blow and CIG will change how it works.

We're going to see a lot more of this if they try and add in gameplay. Much like at the moment the whole DOAS is probably not too bad - as the NPCs don't shoot back much. If they ever get around to fixing the AI then ppl are going to be constantly needing to fix themselves up. Though I guess CiG need to solve the issues of not even being able to get out of port without being 'healed' to death :)

Good to see they're getting baby-persistence as well - soon the PU will more persistent, then they just need to get on with the Universe bit ;)

If I steal two bombs, load them to the cargo bay of my freely spawned Idris-P, land he Idris next to a settlement, jump to another of my Idrises (piloted for now by an org mate), go to the orbit, railgun the first Idris so that the chain reaction detonates the bombs and kills everyone in the settlement, will I get a crime stat?

OMG, these free Idrises are perfect kamikaze ships.

This is going to be a Garry'sverse!

Well, its not like we predicted this sort of stuff would happen years ago when they started talking about medical gameplay is it?

I mean, isn't it what gamers always wanted? Being unable to take any action while playing a game, just lie there and wait for whatever others want to do to you.

Lurking in dark corners...
Come on, I can't count on both hands the number of ppl who can't wait for me having my way with them.

If I steal two bombs, load them to the cargo bay of my freely spawned Idris-P, land he Idris next to a settlement, jump to another of my Idrises (piloted for now by an org mate), go to the orbit, railgun the first Idris so that the chain reaction detonates the bombs and kills everyone in the settlement, will I get a crime stat?

OMG, these free Idrises are perfect kamikaze ships.
Item duplication - the oldest hat trick of players.

That's quite funny, but it can't last, i think CIG will leave it as is for a quarter to see how this behaviour develops, if it happens too much they will probably do something about it.

As it currently stands if you CTD and load back in the game will put you back where you CTD with everything that you had at the time.
But if you 30K you lose where you were and if you had a ship full of cargo that was gone, that's the difference between the client (your PC) crashing and their server.

In 3.15 and currently in the PTU....

Server Crash Recovery
(We heard you liked trading fixes)

Having lost a hull full of cargo ourselves due to a pesky error 30k, we know all too well how frustrating encountering a server crash can be. For that reason, we're very happy to announce the addition of Server Crash Recovery!

So, how does it work? We're adding functionality that creates a "heartbeat" (regular logging with persistence) for you and your ship. So, in the case of a server crash, the backend will recognize that an unexpected timeout has happened, allowing you to visit any ASOP terminal and spawn your ship, intact and exactly as it was pre-crash. This means your cargo, ship status (health/fuel), and any items you had lying around your ship will return in the exact state that it was.

Now, it's important to note this is merely a simple interim fix. Long term, this will all be handled by the entity graph and server meshing work, where we'll track shard history which will allow us to properly retain information and restore you directly to the moment you left off (mid-quantum flight, etc.). Nonetheless, while this is a temporary solution, it should be effective and reliable.

It's also important to note that this new addition is specifically for server crashes. Client crashes would still be handled in the same way they are now, with current crash recovery functionality.

This is currently in review and will hit the PTU very soon!
So even if their servers crash you don't lose anything, this has actually been partially in since 3.14, i and others have had 30K's and ended up back in our ships exactly where the the crash happened.

They just made it official, 30K's are rare in a mature live build but they still happen if only very occasionally they are a worry because if you are hauling cargo you lose that cargo, not anymore.

The informas 30K is becoming less informas

Top Bottom